Dr. Derek is offline Member

Still Alive, Barely

Hey I just wanted to let my pals at AR know that I'm still alive and kicking. I found out that I will have to have back surgery in Jan or Feb. Apparantly I have two herniated discs in my lower cervical spine c-6 anc c-7, they are applying pressure to my c-7 nerve route, which controls the tricep and pecs, so pretty much my right pec and tri are paralyzed, I guess I will have to sit out this years Arnold Classic, shit and Jay was in trouble if I would have showed up Hope all is well here, I will try to make more of effort to get on the board and offer advice more often, I can t really work at my normal job so I should have alittle more time.

Hope all is well and that everyone had a great holiday. Happy new year.

MikeXXL told me that his new years resolution was that 1) he was going to compete at 200 lbs this spring and 2) he is going to start sharing his wife, Just Kidding LVNFT.

NoLimits is offline Member
    Sorry to hear about your back... There is nothing worse then back problems. I hope all goes well with the surgery and you are back at it soon!

KunipshunFit is offline Lounge Lizard
    Damn Dr.D I'm sorry to hear about your problems! I wish you the best!!!!

your truely a great bro who has helped me out once or twice in threads! Glad your back on the boards, sorry you'll be spending so much time here for the wrong reason.

KunipshunFit

xcelbeyond is offline Junior Member
    Knowing you - you'll be back and better! Just be patient with the "healing process." I've had my right shoulder re-constructed and am stronger and bigger today - no limits bro. And - Muscle Memory is a wonderful thing!

xcel

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    Hey, nice to see you around here and sorry about you having to get surgery for your back , but in the end it all will be worth it and you will get better and then train your ass off and come compete at North Americans and get you Pro card so you can kick Jays ass...get well soon...and as for my new year resolution, you are close;
    I want to compete in November in light heavies around 185-190lbs, and how did you find out about my wife thing, she said if you come down to the Arnold's in Columbus she would love to try a 270lbs man.........hey i see you still have your sense od humor, and stop picking on a little mikey_xxs...hope to talk to you soon Bro...XXL

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    That sucks! But like everyone said, you will come back stronger and better. Good luck w/ healing.

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    Sorry to hear about your back man. Hang in there.

primodonna is offline Female Member
    I told Jay about this and he was very relieved. You already know what I think but everything will be fine in the end and i hope the recovery time is quick...be as patient as you can be...things will heal and be better than before

XXL- what about trying a 270 lb woman? oh wait...that's a typo...i meant 170
    Last edited by primodonna; 01-02-2003 at 02:28 PM.
    What happens here, stays here

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Dr Derek, my prayers are with you during your surgery and recovery. Unfortanetly ijnuries are a part of this lifestyle and we accept that. You're a good man on here and give great advice. I pray for your doctor to have healing hands and for you to have a speedy recovery. Stay the path and you'll be back in no time.

David B. is offline Member
    Ouch!

Can they do arthroscopic surgery on that, or are they gonna have to slit you open? Good luck!

--dnb

Tedmax195 is offline Member
    Good luck hope everything works out for you good Dr.

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    Glad to hear that you are still around bro. Best of luck with a surgury it is only uphill after that. Keep us posted on the whole thing.

As for XXL's new years resolution # 2...PM me Mike I am sure we can work a swap into the mix...

palme is offline Rosie Member
    LOL you guys are true pimps

Dr D hope you have a fast recovery bro!

Originally posted by primodonna
    XXL- what about trying a 270 lb woman? oh wait...that's a typo...i meant 170
    BRING IT!!! ...

BIG R is offline Member
    Wish you a fast recovery Dr. D. I injured my lower back a year ago and it was HELL! My L4-L5 was not doing too good but now I am felling 100% better. One of my training clients is a Chiropractor. I was a mess for months. I know your pain.

R

WELL ITS OVER~ I had surgery yesterday, Sore right now but its great to be able to contract my chest and feel my hand and tricep again. I should be down for about 4 weeks the neruologist that operated is one of the best so they say. He stated that I could start lifting (lightly) in two weeks and I should be back to a 100% in 6 weeks. I will be supporting the 3" scar on the back of my neck to remind me not to do 400 lb behind the neck presses ever again,

Thank everyone for keeping me in your thoughts, you have been a great inspiration to come back and kick some ass.

Hope everyone here in fine. Peace for now.

DRD

nuke is offline Member
    Glad to hear youre out and well brother. Seriously, use this time to take care of yurself bro, back injuries suck and such bad. But once they are healed. Greatest Felling. Dont rush the process.

KunipshunFit is offline Lounge Lizard
    Great to hear your outta surgery and everything went well!

Here is wishing you a speedy recovery and seriously take this time and relax and enjoy yourself as much as you can! The weights will be there waiting when you get back!

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    Glad to hear everything went well. Take your time and recoupe. You'll be back to 100% in no time.

xxxl83

Wishing you a speed recovery Bro, the worst is over now, now relax get big and my ass in Columbus...so what do you say...if i need to use a bait, i will ask livnnfit.....lol...talk to you later...XXL

BIG R is offline Member
    I think that NUKE is right on the "take it easy" part. You are fresh out of surgery and need to remind yourself of that. Back injuries are so tricky it is best to play it safe. The weight will always be there waiting for yo as long as you want it too. Every true athelete has battle wounds. I've got my share.

R

Its now been about eight weeks or so since the operation, and I'm back training consitently but with much lighter weight, due to the fact that I'm clean and that Iam seriously a lot weaker. Weighing 255, but have never felt so week. At this point I'm just hoping to get into good enough shape to make a decent showing at the beach this year.

Sorry mike gonna have to sit the arnold out this year, it would not be good for my mental state to show up there, especially looking like this. If I had any balls I would post pictures of my transformation back to the average guy

I Just got a tattoo over the scar hoping that would help me move on. I know that squating is not an option for at least a year, I just dont want to chance it. Thanks to all for your support. Hope to be back on the board consistently from now on.

Peace

Look what the cat dragged in...lol...well i wouldn't call 255 average guy......that would make me and adulesent little girl.........but i am glad you are back at it working out, and am looking forward to seeing you on the board again, get big and strong quick Bro..........XXL

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Welcome back Doc! Glad to hear you're doing good. Like Mike said if 255 is average, what am I? Mediocre..LOL. Hey doc just keep the faith, after my neck injury in college I was devastated. But after a year or two I've managed to become better than I was before. Just stick with it and don't beat yourself up, you're AR family is here anytime you need us bro!

Thread Information