WeakGeek is offline New Member

Looking to do 1st show... What weight class..

I want to do a show in Nov... But I'm wondering what weight class to shoot for... Im currently 5'10 231lbs at about 7-9% body fat... Im thinking of trying to get up to 245-250 by the summer. I was thinking that the light heavy (198lb) would be perfect for me... but is cutting 45-50 lbs feasible seeing that I am already pretty lean??? I have a feeling I would do ok at heavys but would kill it in lightheavy.. but who am I ?? I havent even competed before... Im sorry i dont have pics up yet. i,ll try and get on that... Im not much with the camera... But just based on what your reading what are your thoughts... experienced competitors please chime in... thanx

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    If you can get to 245-250 @ 7-9% then you would be legitimate Heavyweight material. Would really have to see pics. The visual difference between 7 and 9% is pretty dramatic which has me questioning the stats you stated.

vishus is offline Knowledgeable Member
    would not sacrafice that much weight just to get into light heavies. look at my pics. i was the LIGHTEST in my heavyweight class and took 1st because of my conditioning, u dont have to be super huge to get a good placing, just do your homework throughout the prep and you should hav no worries. PLUS its your first time competing, you need to get your feet wet with being on stage, posing, etc. and evn if you place last in the heavies, its the EXPERIENCE thats worth it

JMumf is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakGeek View Post
    I want to do a show in Nov... But I'm wondering what weight class to shoot for... Im currently 5'10 231lbs at about 7-9% body fat... Im thinking of trying to get up to 245-250 by the summer. I was thinking that the light heavy (198lb) would be perfect for me... but is cutting 45-50 lbs feasible seeing that I am already pretty lean??? I have a feeling I would do ok at heavys but would kill it in lightheavy.. but who am I ?? I havent even competed before... Im sorry i dont have pics up yet. i,ll try and get on that... Im not much with the camera... But just based on what your reading what are your thoughts... experienced competitors please chime in... thanx
    Honestly.............you're probably not as big and lean as you think you are. I know this from my own personal experiences/delusions. I would guess that you will fall easily into the LH class if you have the proper conditioning. I started dieting for my first show at a "lean" 242lbs convinced I was going to be a HW. 16 weeks and 2hrs of cardio a day later I weighed in at 186lbs.

IMG_0215.jpg
    Last edited by WeakGeek; 03-15-2011 at 01:15 AM.

[img]
    Last edited by WeakGeek; 03-15-2011 at 01:15 AM.

j.daddy is offline Junior Member
    I'm getting ready for my first show as well, so my advice may not be worth much. Still, I would say that you should just get yourself in shape for a show and not worry about the weight class until it's closer. I've seen plenty of shows where the biggest guy didn't finish as well as a noticably smaller guy who came in shape, prepared. My coach keeps telling me that even if I'm not the biggest I will be the most shredded guy on stage and I WILL win. That's just my 2 cents.

hankdiesel is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j.daddy View Post
    I'm getting ready for my first show as well, so my advice may not be worth much. Still, I would say that you should just get yourself in shape for a show and not worry about the weight class until it's closer. I've seen plenty of shows where the biggest guy didn't finish as well as a noticably smaller guy who came in shape, prepared. My coach keeps telling me that even if I'm not the biggest I will be the most shredded guy on stage and I WILL win. That's just my 2 cents.
    I just won the lightheavies and the overall at 188. It's not all size buddy. Your trainer is right.

Thread Information