Thread: Bf% question...

CMB
    CMB is offline Senior Member

Bf% question...

How low do you recommend my bodyfat be when I compete? It is a low level meet in september and im trying to get everything down ahead of time.

Thanks guys.

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    as low as you possibly can, should be around 3.5/4% I believe.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    ^^Very few guys are able to get to those numbers unless we are talking pro's or national level competitors. Even then sub 5% is extremely lean. My avi is sitting probably mid to low 6's for reference.

CMB
    CMB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy View Post
    ^^Very few guys are able to get to those numbers unless we are talking pro's or national level competitors. Even then sub 5% is extremely lean. My avi is sitting probably mid to low 6's for reference.
    Yeah I'm aiming for 5-7%. Going to have to diet hard and train correctly. should be a fun experience.

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    I agree at 8% there is a deffinit ab definition, most guys will compete at 5-6% and with good water manipulation will appear leaner then that...

sensaispike is offline Member
    fireguy and mike.... what method do you guys use to test bodyfat?

I use electronic calipers, which show me about 3-4% leaner then i actually am...underwater weighting is best wy to g (forgot actual name of it as it late at night lol) but it is expensive...calipers in the right hand will be very acurate, mine ar not it...:-)

yea.... i have a extremely experienced trainer who is a pro bodybuilder that dose mine..... i just get annoyed when i post my bodyfat and i have people telling me there is not way its that low.......

Keep in mind calipers are often out by 3-4% i know there are every time they tell me how much my BF% is, when they say i am 4% i usually am around 7-8% so keep that in mind as your pro bber is doing yours.

in your post above you just said, and i quote "calipers in the right hand will be very accurate"..... see its this kinda of stuff that drives me nuts....

I do not know if your BBer friend is good or not, and you said "i just get annoyed when i post my bodyfat and i have people telling me there is not way its that low" to me this would indicate that their ability to get accurate number is questionable...post a picture and what BF% you think you are or were and i can tell you if he does good work or not...there is a big differance between 4% to 6% to 8%...

I think there is a little misunderstanding…. I am talking about people saying that without having seen what I look like…. But I will post a picture as soon as I can, it will probably not be until this week end though…. and i know there is a huge difference between 4, 6, and 8%... i have been as high as 12% before.... and i have been as low as 4.5% before (right before a show i was going to do in 2008, but then something personal came up and i could not do the show).... so its not like i have no experience with this..... anyways ill post a pic as soon as i can..... i was not trying to start a argument just express my frustration.....

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by sensaispike View Post
    yea.... i have a extremely experienced trainer who is a pro bodybuilder that dose mine..... i just get annoyed when i post my bodyfat and i have people telling me there is not way its that low.......
    You have to understand how many people come on here stating they are a certain BF% and then you see a picture and wonder where in the hell they came up with the number. There was a dude not too long ago that got tested hydrostatically and said he had 3 tests all showing him just over 5%. He still had a bit of a gut, not a line of separation in his quads and was smooth as a baby's ass. Probably 13-15%. And I dont think he was lying about the results either I just think many testing methods are flawed. So yes, when you said you were 6.3% and 16 weeks out I am going to want confirmation with a pic. I am not doubting for one minute you were calipered and that was the number they came up with.

As far as testing methods go I prefer calipers and here is why. If you do a 9 site and have an experienced person do them you can get accurate and more importantly consistent results. You can do them more often to chart progress. Most importantly from a bodybuilding perspective we are most concerned with sub-q fat which is the basis of all caliper readings. This gauges the look we are after. Bod-Pods and Hydros can be more accurate but can also be widely inconsistent due to needing to be properly calibrated and a bit more air in your lungs or even having a bit of stomach distention can radically change your readings in the Bod-Pod.

jtuner77 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE_XXL View Post
    I use electronic calipers, which show me about 3-4% leaner then i actually am...underwater weighting is best wy to g (forgot actual name of it as it late at night lol) but it is expensive...calipers in the right hand will be very acurate, mine ar not it...:-)
    Hydrostatic testing

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy View Post
    You have to understand how many people come on here stating they are a certain BF% and then you see a picture and wonder where in the hell they came up with the number. There was a dude not too long ago that got tested hydrostatically and said he had 3 tests all showing him just over 5%. He still had a bit of a gut, not a line of separation in his quads and was smooth as a baby's ass. Probably 13-15%. And I dont think he was lying about the results either I just think many testing methods are flawed. So yes, when you said you were 6.3% and 16 weeks out I am going to want confirmation with a pic. I am not doubting for one minute you were calipered and that was the number they came up with.

As far as testing methods go I prefer calipers and here is why. If you do a 9 site and have an experienced person do them you can get accurate and more importantly consistent results. You can do them more often to chart progress. Most importantly from a bodybuilding perspective we are most concerned with sub-q fat which is the basis of all caliper readings. This gauges the look we are after. Bod-Pods and Hydros can be more accurate but can also be widely inconsistent due to needing to be properly calibrated and a bit more air in your lungs or even having a bit of stomach distention can radically change your readings in the Bod-Pod.
    Ok, I see where you are coming from, and like you I mainly have it done so I can track my progress, so consistency is key just like you said. I feel he is accurate, but like I said ill post pictures this weekend. Thanks guys….

^^^ i agree with the above statemant and FGs comment, it is a great tool to strack progress. regardless of its accuracy progress will be evident with this or any other method as long as there is consistancy in measrment method.
    XXL

Thread Information