Thread: 5'11 163lbs

Awesome_Archy is offline Associate Member

5'11 163lbs

Alright, so i want to do my first show here in 11 months but I'm not sure what weight class to go for. I'm worried that at 5'11 i wouldn't be able to hang with others in the light weight class and just look stringy when compared. Am I too tall to compete in lightweight? If so, do you think I have enough time to shoot for middle weight?

xXthehulkXx is offline Associate Member
    When doing your first show, there is very little chance of hitting the weight you want. You have no idea what is underneath the fat. Lol. My advice is, drop the fat and do the show. Don't aim for a certain class. If you are as lean as you can be and don't feel good doing it, don't. But, you now will have an idea of how much more muscle you need to enter next class. Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by xXthehulkXx View Post
    When doing your first show, there is very little chance of hitting the weight you want. You have no idea what is underneath the fat. Lol. My advice is, drop the fat and do the show. Don't aim for a certain class. If you are as lean as you can be and don't feel good doing it, don't. But, you now will have an idea of how much more muscle you need to enter next class. Hope it helps.
    Thank you, that's the answer i was hoping to hear. I'm bulking right now, how far out from a show should i start cutting fat?

phoenix44 is offline Associate Member
    That depends on so many variables. But you need to find someone that has done some shows to help coach you, I don't think it's something you can really just wing and get good results

Just realize your going to be in the 140's prolly once you drop water and 4-5% or so if those are current bf% in ur profile

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix44 View Post
    That depends on so many variables. But you need to find someone that has done some shows to help coach you, I don't think it's something you can really just wing and get good results

Just realize your going to be in the 140's prolly once you drop water and 4-5% or so if those are current bf% in ur profile
    I wish i knew someone who has experience so i could get some guidance but I'm fairly alone in this. One of our local nutrition shops is a sponsor of the show and i was considering going in there to see if i could find some help or would that be out of the norm to do. I'm at about 14-16% and still gaining.

hankdiesel is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome_Archy View Post
    I wish i knew someone who has experience so i could get some guidance but I'm fairly alone in this. One of our local nutrition shops is a sponsor of the show and i was considering going in there to see if i could find some help or would that be out of the norm to do. I'm at about 14-16% and still gaining.
    I can help. My first show I was a welterweight at 165lbs. At just under 5'8" I was told by a couple judges I was too tall for a welter. I am now a light heavy and on of the shorter guys which is nice. My point is you need to give yourself a couple more years to grow. At your height IMO you should get up at least 210lbs with abs showing before you even think about competing. It will take a while but bodybuilding isn't going anywhere brother.

Quote Originally Posted by hankdiesel View Post
    I can help. My first show I was a welterweight at 165lbs. At just under 5'8" I was told by a couple judges I was too tall for a welter. I am now a light heavy and on of the shorter guys which is nice. My point is you need to give yourself a couple more years to grow. At your height IMO you should get up at least 210lbs with abs showing before you even think about competing. It will take a while but bodybuilding isn't going anywhere brother.
    Man that's awesome to go from welter to light heavy, I'm just realizing how much of a pain in the ass it is to gain quality weight. Did you hire a bodybuilding specific trainer or just learn as you went? So, am i looking at just bulking and training for the next couple of years or how do i need to go about this?

Man that's awesome to go from welter to light heavy, I'm just realizing how much of a pain in the ass it is to gain quality weight. Did you hire a bodybuilding specific trainer or just learn as you went? So, am i looking at just bulking and training for the next couple of years or how do i need to go about this?
    Pain in the ass? Do you like lifting weights or not? If it's such a chore maybe you should take up something else. Seriously, I do believe that this whole thing comes a lot easier have you have a passion for weight training. I hired a coach when it was finally time to diet for a contest but I did the bulking up on my own. And yes, you need to just lift and eat for the next few years before you step on stage. List your diet and workout plan and we can help push you in the right direction.

I meant more of how much goes into eating.

Daily Diet

6am-2Chicken Breast= 0/56/6 Brown Rice 1cup 46/5/2 Sweet Potato 23/2/1 = 617cal@69/58/9

9am- Beef, ground, 95%lean, (7oz) - 0gc - 58g p -16g f Brown Rice 1cup 46/5/2 = 604cal@46/63/18

12am-2Chicken Breast= 0/56/6 Brown Rice 1cup 46/5/2 Sweet Potato 23/2/1 = 617@69/58/9

3pm- Beef, ground, 95%lean, (7oz) - 0gc - 58g p -16g f Brown Rice 1cup 46/5/2 = 604cal@46/63/18

6pm-2Chicken Breast= 0/28/3 = Almonds, (1oz) - 6g c - 6g p - 14g f =464cal@6/34/17

9pm-2Chicken Breast= 0/28/3 = Almonds, (1oz) - 6g c - 6g p - 14g f =464cal@6/34/17

TDEE= 2818
    Total= 3370@242carbs/310protein/88fats
    Surplus= 552
    Percentage= 37.8%/48.4%/13.8%

I meant more of how much goes into eating.

Daily Diet

6am-2Chicken Breast= 0/56/6 Brown Rice 1cup 46/5/2 Sweet Potato 23/2/1 = 617cal@69/58/9

9am- Beef, ground, 95%lean, (7oz) - 0gc - 58g p -16g f Brown Rice 1cup 46/5/2 = 604cal@46/63/18

12am-2Chicken Breast= 0/56/6 Brown Rice 1cup 46/5/2 Sweet Potato 23/2/1 = 617@69/58/9

3pm- Beef, ground, 95%lean, (7oz) - 0gc - 58g p -16g f Brown Rice 1cup 46/5/2 = 604cal@46/63/18

6pm-2Chicken Breast= 0/28/3 = Almonds, (1oz) - 6g c - 6g p - 14g f =464cal@6/34/17

9pm-2Chicken Breast= 0/28/3 = Almonds, (1oz) - 6g c - 6g p - 14g f =464cal@6/34/17

TDEE= 2818
    Total= 3370@242carbs/310protein/88fats
    Surplus= 552
    Percentage= 37.8%/48.4%/13.8%
    I would lower the protein a little and put the carbs through the roof. As long as your training is on point you should definitely be growing from that diet. Keep it up. Make sure you throw in some cheat meals. At least 3 or so a week. You're trying to gain

I would lower the protein a little and put the carbs through the roof. As long as your training is on point you should definitely be growing from that diet. Keep it up. Make sure you throw in some cheat meals. At least 3 or so a week. You're trying to gain
    whats a good way to schedule cheat meals? I've just been holding off till fridays when i go to dinner with some friends from work.

You are an ectomorph. You shouldn't be eating super clean in the first place. No ice cream and cookies but you should definitely be eating burgers and fries, pancakes, mashed potatoes and meatloaf, the list can go on and on. I see you as a hard gainer and eating the way you are isn't going to put on size. Have a "cheat meal" after every time you lift. A hour or so after you shake. Don't put too much thought into though. Just eat a lot of food, train hard, and grow! A good weight gainer would help you out too.

You are an ectomorph. You shouldn't be eating super clean in the first place. No ice cream and cookies but you should definitely be eating burgers and fries, pancakes, mashed potatoes and meatloaf, the list can go on and on. I see you as a hard gainer and eating the way you are isn't going to put on size. Have a "cheat meal" after every time you lift. A hour or so after you shake. Don't put too much thought into though. Just eat a lot of food, train hard, and grow! A good weight gainer would help you out too.
    Okay, I can definitely do that and I'll look for a recipe for a good mass gainer shake in the nutrition forum.

Thread Information