Thread: Abs

Deon5 is offline Junior Member

Abs

Sup guys... I'm new to competative bodybuilding but I've been training for many years.Last year I wanted to start competing but my abs weren't coming out.My arms, legs and back was insanley ripped.Some people was even weirded out by how ripped my legs were yet no abs.I could feel a perfect set of abs under my skin but I could barely see them.Has anyone had similar problems? My bodyfat was very low so I'm wondering if I have to go even lower?Why do some people havd a perfect set of abs without even training while others bust their ass of in the gym yet you cant see their abs?I'm very frustrated with this and I'm considering taking gear to get that 6pack. Anyone that has had a similar problem with their abs?

hankdiesel is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deon5 View Post
    Sup guys... I'm new to competative bodybuilding but I've been training for many years.Last year I wanted to start competing but my abs weren't coming out.My arms, legs and back was insanley ripped.Some people was even weirded out by how ripped my legs were yet no abs.I could feel a perfect set of abs under my skin but I could barely see them.Has anyone had similar problems? My bodyfat was very low so I'm wondering if I have to go even lower?Why do some people havd a perfect set of abs without even training while others bust their ass of in the gym yet you cant see their abs?I'm very frustrated with this and I'm considering taking gear to get that 6pack. Anyone that has had a similar problem with their abs?
    Gear will not give u a six pack. Get your bf even lower and hit your abs hard twice a week.

dooie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hankdiesel

Gear will not give u a six pack. Get your bf even lower and hit your abs hard twice a week.
    ^^^ this, but if your legs were ripped I'm not sure why your abs wouldn't be showing, normally the legs come in after the abs!
    Genetics play a big role with abs

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dooie

^^^ this, but if your legs were ripped I'm not sure why your abs wouldn't be showing, normally the legs come in after the abs!
    Genetics play a big role with abs
    yeah abs are very much genetics. So frustrating. But diet is the most important aspect for seeing abs

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Genetics, diet, genetics, diet, genetics, diet.

Abs are small muscles. Overworking won't really give you a ripped six pack if your genetics aren't favorable. Decrease bf and a super clean diet are best. Be sure your routine targets obliques as well as upper and lower abdominal rectus.

Thanks for the advice.I'll keep on working on them and make sure my diet is super super clean even when bulking up.As well as taking CLA so that when I start cutting up again I'll already be lean.

Quote Originally Posted by Deon5
    Thanks for the advice.I'll keep on working on them and make sure my diet is super super clean even when bulking up.As well as taking CLA so that when I start cutting up again I'll already be lean.
    That will definitely put you on course for a chiseled pack-o-6!

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleInk
    Genetics, diet, genetics, diet, genetics, diet.

Abs are small muscles. Overworking won't really give you a ripped six pack if your genetics aren't favorable. Decrease bf and a super clean diet are best. Be sure your routine targets obliques as well as upper and lower abdominal rectus.
    That's true you gotta hit every area of the abdominals

Yes, I work my abs 3 times a week and I hit every part of my abs.S0 instead of doing anything to my workout I'm going to clean up my diet and incorperate more high intensity cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by Deon5
    Yes, I work my abs 3 times a week and I hit every part of my abs.S0 instead of doing anything to my workout I'm going to clean up my diet and incorperate more high intensity cardio.
    Cleaning up the diet will certainly help. Keep the protein high and the carbs complex (raw fruit & veggies).

Good luck!

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleInk View Post
    Cleaning up the diet will certainly help. Keep the protein high and the carbs complex (raw fruit & veggies).Good luck!
    You realize the carbs in raw fruit and veggies is not complex?

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy

You realize the carbs in raw fruit and veggies is not complex?
    Complex carbs:
    - millets
    - oats
    - wheat germ
    - barely
    - brown rice
    - buckwheat
    - oat bran
    - corn meal
    - broccoli
    - cauliflower
    - spinach
    - egg plant
    - potatoes
    - corn
    - carrots
    - yams
    - celery
    - cucumbers
    - asparagus
    - artichokes
    - cabbage
    - peas
    - lentils
    - black beans
    - kidney beans
    - pinto beans
    - grapefruits
    - apricots
    - plums
    - pears
    - prunes
    - oranges

Not a complete list I know, but hopefully a decent start.

There are 3 types of carbs, simple (sugars) complex and fibrous, fruits are one of the 5 recognized sugar carbohydrates while the vast majority of all vegetables are fibrous carbs.
    Last edited by FireGuy; 06-24-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy
    There are 3 types of carbs, sugars, complex and fibrous, fruits are one of the 5 recognized sugar carbohydrates while the vast majority of all vegetables are fibrous carbs.
    Correct.

The classification depends on the chemical structure of the food, and how quickly the sugar is digested and absorbed. Simple carbohydrates have one (single) or two (double) sugars.

Complex carbohydrates, oligosaccharides and polysaccharides (polymeric carbs) consist of repeating monosaccharides.

Ugh.....this id causing bad memories of organic and bio chem!!!!! Lol

The listed examples are consistent with the organic structures under the classification of "complex"

In bodybuilding lingo and practicality Complx carbs are those of which we consider starches like rice, oatmeal, sweet potatoes. Any food where the carb source is, Glucose, Sucrose, Fructose, Lactose or Dextrose is considered a sugar or Simple carb while carbs derived from vegatables such as Spinach, Brocolli, Cauliflower are referred to as Fibrous.

You obviously have some background in nutrition but when we are talking pre contest bodybuilding diets neither fruits or fibrous vegetables are going to be considered a complex carb. I actually remove all fruit from precontest diets a the day it begins and fibrous vegetables are all you can eat and not even measured. True starches/complex carbs are monitored and regulated down to the gram.

hankdiesel is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleInk View Post
    Complex carbs:
    - millets
    - oats
    - wheat germ
    - barely
    - brown rice
    - buckwheat
    - oat bran
    - corn meal
    - broccoli
    - cauliflower
    - spinach
    - egg plant
    - potatoes
    - corn
    - carrots
    - yams
    - celery
    - cucumbers
    - asparagus
    - artichokes
    - cabbage
    - peas
    - lentils
    - black beans
    - kidney beans
    - pinto beans
    - grapefruits
    - apricots
    - plums
    - pears
    - prunes
    - oranges

Not a complete list I know, but hopefully a decent start.
    Next contest prep I am going to pound corn! Wooohooo!

Thread Information