Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Starting prep for first show

Dpyle is offline Productive Member

Starting prep for first show

Want to try my first show a year from now. Starting a bulk this week still tweaking my diet right now and hope to have it posted for review within the next couple days.

Goal is to step on stage at the upper end of the light weights so between 160-165.
    Current stats
    5'6"
    160lbs
    12% give or take on the bf

In the last 6 months I've made my cut from 20% down to current with only a loss of 5lbs here are some shots of my cut from start to finish and where i am right now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Starting prep for first show-image-3129420319.jpg   Starting prep for first show-image-4239146387.jpg   Starting prep for first show-image-37624959.jpg   Starting prep for first show-image-396586145.jpg   Starting prep for first show-image-2350421385.jpg  

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    I will be following...

I would try to stay as lean as possible TBH.... Dont let the bodyfat get too high

That's the goal. Gonna try to stay under 15 as much as I can. The cut was done with little to no cardio. It was all diet so I figure I should be able to stay fairly lean by adding cardio to my routine.
    Last edited by Dpyle; 08-13-2012 at 02:54 PM.

bigZthedestroyer is offline Anabolic Member~Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Awesome man! Ill be following as well. The first show is exciting. Im with baseline on the staying lean. Its easier for me if I keep my bf in check even outside of contest prep. Sounds like you have a plan though. Good luck

Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpyle View Post
    Want to try my first show a year from now. Starting a bulk this week still tweaking my diet right now and hope to have it posted for review within the next couple days.

Goal is to step on stage at the upper end of the light weights so between 160-165.
    Current stats
    5'6"
    160lbs
    12% give or take on the bf

In the last 6 months I've made my cut from 20% down to current with only a loss of 5lbs here are some shots of my cut from start to finish and where i am right now.
    If its NPC at that weight you will compete middle weight. I weighed in 164lbs from 205 lbs. Bulk but don't get fat . You want muscle. I recommend 15 weeks out to start your cut. Your looking good. Take the 9 months and get some size on. It will be the hardest thing you have ever done (probably, I don't know you) but when you step on stage its all worth it. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo

If its NPC at that weight you will compete middle weight. I weighed in 164lbs from 205 lbs. Bulk but don't get fat . You want muscle. I recommend 15 weeks out to start your cut. Your looking good. Take the 9 months and get some size on. It will be the hardest thing you have ever done (probably, I don't know you) but when you step on stage its all worth it. Good luck
    Yeah it's actually an npc qualifier, which surprised me in the smaller town I live in. The lightweight cutoff point is 164 1/2 so I hope to be right on the edge of that. Hopefully it will give me an advantage at only 5'5 barefoot. Judging from the photos of the past it should make me look fairly large compared to the taller guys.

Alright first Saturday off in a while. Time to put pen to paper and get this diet sorted and get the ball rolling on this bulk!

Quote Originally Posted by Dpyle View Post
    Alright first Saturday off in a while. Time to put pen to paper and get this diet sorted and get the ball rolling on this bulk!
    Eat BIG brother!

Alright diets finished and appears to have a green light. Now it's time to GROW.

hankdiesel is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo View Post
    middleweight is 166 to 176

Quote Originally Posted by hankdiesel View Post
    middleweight is 166 to 176
    Sorry hank may have been 165.5-166

Bantamweight: 143-1/4 lbs. & under
    Lightweight: over 143-1/4 lbs. to & including 154-1/4 lbs
    * Welterweight over 154-1/4 lbs. to & including 165-1/4 lbs
    Middleweight: over 165-1/4 lbs. up to & including 176-1/4 lbs
    Light-Heavyweight: over 176-1/4 lbs. up to & including 198-1/4 lbs
    Heavyweight: over 198-1/4 lbs up to & including 225-1/4
    Super Heavyweight: over 225-1/4

Feel free to go to NPC GA 2009 Doc's Sports and check out the score cards

Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo View Post
    Sorry hank may have been 165.5-166

Bantamweight: 143-1/4 lbs. & under
    Lightweight: over 143-1/4 lbs. to & including 154-1/4 lbs
    * Welterweight over 154-1/4 lbs. to & including 165-1/4 lbs
    Middleweight: over 165-1/4 lbs. up to & including 176-1/4 lbs
    Light-Heavyweight: over 176-1/4 lbs. up to & including 198-1/4 lbs
    Heavyweight: over 198-1/4 lbs up to & including 225-1/4
    Super Heavyweight: over 225-1/4

Feel free to go to NPC GA 2009 Doc's Sports and check out the score cards
    Are you saying I was wrong? Because it looks like I was right. You said he would be a middle if he weighed between 160-165. I basically said he wouldn't be a middle at that weight and he'd have to be at least 166. I see now it's 165 1/4 not 166. Am I missing something? It looks like you proved yourself wrong and highlighted it in the post. Correct?

Are you saying I was wrong? Because it looks like I was right. You said he would be a middle if he weighed between 160-165. I basically said he wouldn't be a middle at that weight and he'd have to be at least 166. I see now it's 165 1/4 not 166. Am I missing something? It looks like you proved yourself wrong and highlighted it in the post. Correct?
    You are correct. The way you quoted me not him led me to believe you did not think I competed at middle weight. If you had quoted him and his weight I would not have been confused. Your numbers for classes is correct. That's why I ask you to check me out. Misunderstanding.

If you look he said upper end of light weights. Would be welter. I stand corrected.

I was definitely talking about his projected weight. He would fall as a welter. For your show it looks like you must of weighed about 166 and competed as a middle (although you never actually said you were a middle in your original post) and just mistakenly said you weighed 164. Whatever the case is I hope you did well and the op kicks ass at his show. Peace.

I was definitely talking about his projected weight. He would fall as a welter. For your show it looks like you must of weighed about 166 and competed as a middle (although you never actually said you were a middle in your original post) and just mistakenly said you weighed 164. Whatever the case is I hope you did well and the op kicks ass at his show. Peace.
    All straight. He looks to be on the right track. I got 2 nd novice and 1st jr.

Do you know about our on line comp? 225 lbs but cut. We are all aroun 200 or under. Should be fun. It's ass backwards to anything I'm used to. Check it out in the lounge. Can't mis the shit talk.

Time for a little update. So I'm about 4 weeks in on 3500 cals per day and I've actually lost about 5lbs. Gonna have a sit down after work and reevaluate the diet. Probably gonna drop the protein back a bit and fill the gap with more carbs to see if I can incite some growth. I suppose if that doesn't work I'll have to up the cals until I see some upward movement.

AXx
    AXx is offline AR's hose draggin' post whore~Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Why have I not seen this until now. hmmmmm
    Whats your macro breakdown?

Quote Originally Posted by AXx
    Why have I not seen this until now. hmmmmm
    Whats your macro breakdown?
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...-up-for-review.

That's the link to my current diet and split. For my size it should have been more than enough to see some upward movement. However like you already know. I was without my trt for the last 3 weeks so that could have played a role in the current state of things.

Quick update! Seem to be headed back in the right direction. Made a couple simple changes to the diet by adding 2 tortillas to 3 meals and dropped one meal. With that addition it adds about 400 cals, and 100g of carbs to my daily total. I've done this for the last 2 weeks after dropping 5lbs the first 3 and today I had my 5lbs back. Gonna keep an eye o. The fat gains to make sure it doesn't get out of hand meaning more tweaks or probably soon to be made.

Photo update. Weighed in at 165 today so I'm up 5lbs from the start of this thread. I'll take it as I saw about a 5lb loss the first couple weeks after the start.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Starting prep for first show-image-4128773881.jpg   Starting prep for first show-image-3818068096.jpg   Starting prep for first show-image-2451768950.jpg  

Looking good man. You ready to throw 15lbs+ on?!

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    What up Mr Pyle,

Was looking at your thread here and in the diet section and it seems your situation and mine are fairly simalar except age. I work building maintenance and am on my feet all day long and probably walk about 4+ miles a day. I also cut from 20% to sub 15 in the past year, one thing that you mentioned in the other thread that really helped me was switching to a morning work-out. At first it was a real pain in the ass getting up that early but once used to it was soo much easier to work out first thing than to drive all the way home eat, shower and then try to get motivated enough to go back to the gym.

One thing I did not see on your diet was what time your workout was and it also seemed to lack either a meal or PWO shake that was structured to provide the extra (preferably quick) carbs to fuel your workout needs? I am on a 40/40/20 split (slight deficit diet) myself and if I do not address my workout with a change in diet at that time (I use a big ass PWO shake with 75gs of whey and 100 of a malto/glucose split along with 10gs of creatine mono, but not everyone likes this approach) its very hard to get motivated and lean gains seem to really suffer...I mention this as now with a bulk you can address this with a slight increase in carbs throughout the day, however once you change from the surplus bulk to a deficet cut diet you will likely find this makes a huge difference. In my opinion a good shot of quick carbs PWO will allow you to adopt a deficit diet with minimal loss of lean muscle, where without this bump you would see a lot of loss.

Just food for thought.

FFM
    Last edited by Far from massive; 10-01-2012 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Far from massive
    What up Mr Pyle,

Was looking at your thread here and in the diet section and it seems your situation and mine are fairly simalar except age. I work building maintenance and am on my feet all day long and probably walk about 4+ miles a day. I also cut from 20% to sub 15 in the past year, one thing that you mentioned in the other thread that really helped me was switching to a morning work-out. At first it was a real pain in the ass getting up that early but once used to it was soo much easier to work out first thing than to drive all the way home eat, shower and then try to get motivated enough to go back to the gym.

One thing I did not see on your diet was what time your workout was and it also seemed to lack either a meal or PWO shake that was structured to provide the extra (preferably quick) carbs to fuel your workout needs? I am on a 40/40/20 split (slight deficit diet) myself and if I do not address my workout with a change in diet at that time (I use a big ass PWO shake with 75gs of whey and 100 of a malto/glucose split along with 10gs of creatine mono, but not everyone likes this approach) its very hard to get motivated and lean gains seem to really suffer...I mention this as now with a bulk you can address this with a slight increase in carbs throughout the day, however once you change from the surplus bulk to a deficet cut diet you will likely find this makes a huge difference. In my opinion a good shot of quick carbs PWO will allow you to adopt a deficit diet with minimal loss of lean muscle, where without this bump you would see a lot of loss.

Just food for thought.

FFM
    Well as you've read the first few weeks with the bulk diet I have posted I dropped about 5lbs. I started the am workouts ( 3 am start with the shake around 45 min before) and never edited the diet but what I did was added a shake pre workout that consists of 1 1/2 cups oats, 2 scoops whey, 1 scoop casein, and 10g of creatine mono. I also dropped a meal and added 3 whole grain tortillas to my breakfast which is now my post workout meal, and upped the carbs in what is now meals 3 and 4.

This change has allowed me to gain at a fairly steady rate. As of this morning I weighed in at 168 and have maintained the same or possibly lower bf than my beginning pics. This puts me at an 8lb gain from my starting 160 and 13lb gain if you wanna count the 5 I had to gain back after I started.

I also attribute some of the rate of my gains to the fact that I split my trt dose to a twice a week protocol to allow for more stable levels throughout the week.
    Last edited by Dpyle; 10-01-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Man those are really fantastic gains guy, will follow your thread for sure. I agree with your splitting the dosage, I know some say it does not make a big difference but for me its huge, paticularly when just cruising on a TRT dose.

I hope to compete myself in some kind of dinosoar class (57 yrs old) this coming spring, I know my body type (FFM) is better suited to physique, however I really got a problem with the whole board shorts and quarter turns thing so I too will try to bulk over the winter and then compete in grand masters light heavy.

Anyway keep up the good work and keep the thread updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Far from massive
    Man those are really fantastic gains guy, will follow your thread for sure. I agree with your splitting the dosage, I know some say it does not make a big difference but for me its huge, paticularly when just cruising on a TRT dose.

I hope to compete myself in some kind of dinosoar class (57 yrs old) this coming spring, I know my body type (FFM) is better suited to physique, however I really got a problem with the whole board shorts and quarter turns thing so I too will try to bulk over the winter and then compete in grand masters light heavy.

Anyway keep up the good work and keep the thread updated.
    Will do! And thanks for the encouragement. I have a little extra push in my bulk starting nov 1 I'm in the bulking classic going on here on the board.

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Dont worry so much about bulking , worry about bringing up your weaknesses and posing. You'll be surprised how fast time goes by, start posing. Have somebody critique you in person, work on your weaknesses. Size doesnt win shows, symmetry, posing and conditioning does.

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

BG brings up some really good points. Although I have not yet competed, I have judged 1 show and it was amazing how few of the competitors hit there routine or even their compulsories well. We had one guy who had phenominal physique with great legs and he only managed to flex them once in his entire routine. Seems like a lot of them were unaware that presentation is 25% of the game. Also if you read the judging criteria it states that size, presentation, symetry, condition all carry an equal load, however it seems clear to me that with the exception of heavy this simply does not seem to be the case.

Another thing that amazes me and maybe BG can enlighten me is how many people don't seem to be putting any effort into their posing? I mean you will see a few who really kill themselves and others who barely flex their muscles? this totally confuses me.

Thanks for the input BG. The "bulk" is what I'm using to bring up the parts I feel are lagging behind. Need a little more size in my chest and quads to balance out a little better. The 15lb goal if I've done my estimates even close to right should put me where I need to be to make my goal stage weight. Granted I know it probably won't work out quite how I'm hoping it will, but with the feb deadline it leaves me 6 months to cut down slowly to start before really turning it up the last 12-16 weeks.

I have been working on posing. Trying to really find the "feel" of when I hit my poses. That way if I'm not in front of the mirror I know when I've got it. Gonna have to try and find a local connection for an in person critique

Word of advise . Go to as many local shows as you can prior to yours. Go to prejudging and the night shows. I it will give you an idea of how it runs. Expecially the prejudging.

Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo
    Word of advise . Go to as many local shows as you can prior to yours. Go to prejudging and the night shows. I it will give you an idea of how it runs. Expecially the prejudging.
    That's why I'm gonna do everything I can to make it to nationals this year. That's the next show that's close to me. Then there are a couple shortly before mine.

Nationals as in competing or to spectate? I would love to make it to nationals one day. Thats one of my goals for the next couple of years!

Quote Originally Posted by bigZthedestroyer
    Nationals as in competing or to spectate? I would love to make it to nationals one day. Thats one of my goals for the next couple of years!
    Spectate this time. However the local show I'm entering next year is a national qualifier and it's a small town so judging from the photos from previous years my goal weight class is a limited field. So the possibility of an invite is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dpyle

Spectate this time. However the local show I'm entering next year is a national qualifier and it's a small town so judging from the photos from previous years my goal weight class is a limited field. So the possibility of an invite is there.
    That awesome man. Ill be looking forward to following your progress. What your goal weight?

Quote Originally Posted by bigZthedestroyer

That awesome man. Ill be looking forward to following your progress. What your goal weight?
    Shooting for a stage weight of 160-164. Cut off for lightweight is 164 1/4. So if I can make the top end I should look larger than anyone else as I'm only 5'5. As long as no one shorter shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dpyle

Shooting for a stage weight of 160-164. Cut off for lightweight is 164 1/4. So if I can make the top end I should look larger than anyone else as I'm only 5'5. As long as no one shorter shows up.
    Sounds good man.. Hit it hard, you got a good shot

Wazz is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    Dont worry so much about bulking , worry about bringing up your weaknesses and posing. You'll be surprised how fast time goes by, start posing. Have somebody critique you in person, work on your weaknesses. Size doesnt win shows, symmetry, posing and conditioning does.
    Good post, agree..

I used to be always surprised when the smaller guy took the podium, but I've learned a lot about what goes into judging. I wish you the best of luck & will follow-

Wazz

Just a quick update to track my progress on the road to this comp.

Current photos. Will include shots of the wheels when I get a full length mirror this weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Starting prep for first show-image-2379724189.jpg   Starting prep for first show-image-2675365803.jpg   Starting prep for first show-image-330693714.jpg   Starting prep for first show-image-477785946.jpg  

A few current shots. Guesses on bf% ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Starting prep for first show-image-819351996.jpg   Starting prep for first show-image-1387090282.jpg   Starting prep for first show-image-2990737841.jpg   Starting prep for first show-image-221851209.jpg   Starting prep for first show-image-3624111576.jpg  

Starting prep for first show-image-1484875439.jpg   Starting prep for first show-image-2539577945.jpg   Starting prep for first show-image-3455445386.jpg   Starting prep for first show-image-1655497788.jpg   Starting prep for first show-image-1158072999.jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information