• 2 Post By GearHeaded
  • 1 Post By GearHeaded
  • 1 Post By charger69
  • 1 Post By HoldMyBeer
  • 1 Post By charger69

Thread: ** fluid retention / extracellular fluid at a minimum **

anabolictheviking is offline New Member

** fluid retention / extracellular fluid at a minimum **

Hello guys, I won't waste time here. I'll get down to business!

We have heard that distilled water is more efficient at reducing extracellular fluid than tap water

It is true ?
    Last edited by anabolictheviking; 09-23-2019 at 08:36 PM.

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    it could help, but only because its also good at dehydrating you . it lacks electrolytes and minerals. so your going to lose both extracellular fluid , but also dehydrate muscle cells as well.
    not an ideal position to be in for bodybuilding . even if going into a show and trying to get as dry as possible,, the electrolytes and minerals are needed.

Thanks for the advice .. Increasing potassium intake would not carry sending intracellular fluid in muscle cells ???

Even with the increase in potassium, would distilled water be detrimental to getting the best shape on stage ??
    Last edited by anabolictheviking; 09-24-2019 at 09:17 AM.

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    well if your talking about contest prep and peaking for a show.. things get a little complicated.

for example - yes increasing potassium is going to help with bringing nutrients into muscle cells (as potassium is required for insulin to load glycogen and water into cells).
    BUT .. what if your depleted from your depletion phase, your 3 days out from your show, you then start taking potassium sparing diuretics daily at high dosages in an attempt to get dry as possible. your carbing up on potassium rich carbs like potatoes . you think taking potassium supplements on top of it is going to help with keeping muscle cells full ... well before you know it you have hyperaklemia (over dose of potassium) and go into cardiac arrest .

it depends on your entire protocol . you can't just throw potassium into the mix without considering other factors (like what type of diuretic you may end up taking or not).

I don't think distilled water is really going to make a big difference one way or another. but during pre contest depletion I would not want to use it..

I take the opposite approach. most my clients about 2 weeks out will begin a depletion phase. during this depletion phase we do NOT want to 'dry out' , so we begin salt loading and electrolyte loading (drinking electrolyte drinks like Pedialyte and doubling our previous salt intake).
    this help you get through the workouts and keeps muscle contracting well and hydrated during depletion . but then when we begin the carb loading and drying out phase (I time these together) there is plenty of electrolytes and minerals there in the blood stream to pool from. the carb load and spike in insulin will drive water and nutrients into the muscle cells .. then when you cut out the salt and the water consumption to dry out, and your still carb loading, the carbs will being pulling sub q water from the skin and pull it into the muscle cells . then you have that dry and full look.
    if we are using a diuretic the night before the show its not going to be 100% potassium sparing, its going to be a combo of potassium sparing and non sparing (safer to do it that way) ..

anyhow . If you want to know more about water manipulation , on this forum there is a contest prep log of a client of mine (Charger) that the day before the show I typed up our water manipulation strategy that we did for him and posted it on that log. he came in dry hard and full (5 pounds over his last contest) and won his class.

there are lots of variables though , and there is definitely not one way only to do it and its person dependent.

again, instead of using distilled water going into a show (in an attempt to dehydrate) , I take the opposite approach and over hydrate and flood the body with electrolytes , then use the carb load to pull all those nutrients into the muscle cells .
    if your dehydrated ahead of time, going into your carb load, then your going to have trouble filling out and glycogen loading.
    anabolictheviking likes this.

Interesting GearHeaded is your strategy. Let me reason to see if I understand; You consume large amounts of sodium and electrolytes to reach the depletion phase of 3 days before the championship! And you keep this strategy

There In carbohydrate loading, you cut salt and water - timed together. All carbohydrate sugar will fill your muscles with glycogen water - it will make the individual look their best on the stage. Two questions:

How do you usually get it right when the carbohydrate load should be done? Assuming the competition is 2:00 pm. How to set the duration of carbohydrate loading.

I see a lot of people doing sodium bombs on competition day because they couldn't properly load their carbs. And end up worsening the physical

The other question is, if the athlete is going to use a diuretic the night before the show, a moderate dose of furosemide (10 mg) along with spironolactone (12.5 mg) is a safe way to eliminate extra water.
    Last edited by anabolictheviking; 09-24-2019 at 06:00 PM.

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anabolictheviking View Post
    Interesting GearHeaded is your strategy. Let me reason to see if I understand; You consume large amounts of sodium and electrolytes to reach the depletion phase of 3 days before the championship! And you keep this strategy

There In carbohydrate loading, you cut salt and water - timed together. All carbohydrate sugar will fill your muscles with glycogen water - it will make the individual look their best on the stage. Two questions:

How do you usually get it right when the carbohydrate load should be done? Assuming the competition is 2:00 pm. How to set the duration of carbohydrate loading.

I see a lot of people doing sodium bombs on competition day because they couldn't properly load their carbs. And end up worsening the physical

The other question is, if the athlete is going to use a diuretic the night before the show, a moderate dose of furosemide (10 mg) along with spironolactone (12.5 mg) is a safe way to eliminate extra water.
    I will give my $.02. It sounds like voodoo and I really didn’t think it would work. It was totally opposite of my previous preps. It does work!
    As far as diuretics, GH went into this with the idea NOT to use diuretics, only as a last resort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i_SLAM_cougars likes this.

HoldMyBeer is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    it could help, but only because its also good at dehydrating you . it lacks electrolytes and minerals. so your going to lose both extracellular fluid , but also dehydrate muscle cells as well.
    not an ideal position to be in for bodybuilding . even if going into a show and trying to get as dry as possible,, the electrolytes and minerals are needed.
    Fun fact: if you drank enough PURE h2o, it will kill you. Apparently it actually draws out the minerals / electrolytes from your body that it's lacking.
    I was watching a TV show, this guy was trying to make a perfectly clear ice cube so he went to a lab that actually had a process of making pure h2o, and that's what the scientist said. He tried a little sip of it and said it didn't taste good and dried out his mouth
    (And clear ice cubes ended up not having to do with water purity but the way it is frozen)
    GearHeaded likes this.

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HoldMyBeer View Post
    Fun fact: if you drank enough PURE h2o, it will kill you. Apparently it actually draws out the minerals / electrolytes from your body that it's lacking.
    I was watching a TV show, this guy was trying to make a perfectly clear ice cube so he went to a lab that actually had a process of making pure h2o, and that's what the scientist said. He tried a little sip of it and said it didn't taste good and dried out his mouth
    (And clear ice cubes ended up not having to do with water purity but the way it is frozen)
    A TV show and not google??? It must be false then. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HoldMyBeer likes this.

Thread Information