nmk85roll is offline Associate Member

what bpm REALLY mean for cardio

So everyone talks about getting your heart rate up to 70-75% of it's max to burn the most fat. Any higher than that and you are at a heart rate considered in a cardio zone. Here's my question...

What EXACTLY is happening to your body when you are in the "fat burning zone" and in the "cardio zone"? Thanks guys.

BIG R is offline Member
    I think that 80% of your max heart rate is still OK. To calulate that you would use the formula
    200-(your age)
    then multiply that times .80 and that is 80% of your max hear rate.

Now in the fat burn zone I believe is in the 30mins and above time element of cardio your body has already used up the store of blood glucose and is looking to break down stored fat as a tool to continue to excercise.
    Now the " cardio zone" I am not too sure what the correct answer is on that one. Hope I helped just a little.

Big R

BIG R is offline Member

Lightbulb Fat loss zone and Cardiovascular zone

Quote Originally Posted by nmk85roll
    So everyone talks about getting your heart rate up to 70-75% of it's max to burn the most fat. Any higher than that and you are at a heart rate considered in a cardio zone. Here's my question...

What EXACTLY is happening to your body when you are in the "fat burning zone" and in the "cardio zone"? Thanks guys.

Fat loss zone: Maintaining your heart rate between 55% and 70% of your maximum aerobic heart rate, helps burn enough calories that, when continued on a regular basis for 30 mins or more, provides the greatest fat-burning results.

Cardiovascular Zone: Maintaining you heart rate between 70%-85% of your maximum aerobic heart rate, helps you (when continued on a regular basis for more than 30 mins or more) improve your overall cardiovascular/cardiorespiratory fitness level.

To attain your maximum heart rate check out the formula I put in the prior response.

Hope this shed some clarity on the matter of Fat Loss Zone and Cardiovascular Zone.

Big R

LewdTenant is offline Respected Member
    I would only operate at 70%-75% of my MHR for cardio over 60 minutes. If you are working out for less than that then use your time more wisely and expend more effort (above 75%).

some ideas sound good until you do some math.

check this out as well:
    http://runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-51-54-628,FF.html

Thread Information