T_Own is offline Formula1 Aficionado

Windows 7 Beta download

for anyone who follows computers, you've probably heard of windows 7 which is set to be released in about a year (give or take) to cover up the enormous blunder which was windows vista. if anyones interested, he is a link for the beta download, free of charge. note: i don't think it works on firefox and you need to use IE to begin the dl (big surprise right)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/e.../dd353205.aspx

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    I'm usually reluctant to upgrade to a new version of Windows when it it supposedly ready, no way I'm running one they admit isn't ready yet.

yeah thats valid, but since its free i plan on running it for now. a few of my friends have tried it and said its everything vista was supposed to be. but i understand the hassle of having to dual boot draws most people away. but you don't have to run it as your only OS, just on a partition drive

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    let us know what you think of it, I may put it on one of my old pc's if you like it.

ottomaddox is offline "Better Safe Than Sorry"
    It looks cool and if its like all the other operating systems I've tried throughout the years it wont be any different, it will still have its own problems.

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    Getting ready to install the Beta
    What you’ll need
    A blank DVD

A PC with a DVD burner

A test PC for the Windows 7 Beta that meets these minimum hardware recommendations (specific to the Beta and subject to change in the final version of Windows 7). Please do not use a PC you rely on for your work or daily use:

1 GHz 32-bit or 64-bit processor

1 GB of system memory

16 GB of available disk space

Support for DirectX 9 graphics with 128 MB memory (in order to enable Aero theme)

DVD-R/W Drive

Internet access (to download the Beta and get updates)

Thank you very much T_Own for the link and info take a bit more then an average old comptuer to put it on, i got just the thing here.

Thanks again.

yep not a problem. i saw it on another site so i figured it can't hurt to pass it on.

the minimum specs are a lot more accurate than they've been for previous versions of windows, but most newer computers can handle it. i'm building a pretty solid comp for cheap so it should run fine. basically 4ghz dual core cpu, 4gm ram, dx10 graphics with 512mb vram, 500gb hdd

IM708 is offline AR's Supplement Guru
    Will my pc be ok?

3.2ghz dual core
    320mb 8800 gts video card
    1300 gbs btw 2 hdds
    6 gb ram

I'm downloading it now actually, I'll have to figure out this whole dual boot sh*t.

should be alright lol. i'm assuming you're going with the 64 bit?

i've never dual booted myself, but a good friend of mine is running 3 OSes on the same drive, so i'm guessing creating a partition isn't very hard. if this OS has any flaws in it i'll dual boot between this, and xubuntu most likely

No dual boot for me i would suggest the 32 bit version because most of the time the 64 bits have some issues with drivers and more.

I work has a computer technicien and needed to install Windows XP Pro 64 bits for some of the power users in the company man did i ever have trouble and that was 6 months ago, could not install solid works at all and many patches where missing has well.

The link isn't working with the 64 bit so the 32 bit will have to do. Kinda sucks since I run 64 bit natively.

from what i've heard this 64 bit is already pretty stable.

it is too bad the 64 isn't working since you have all that ram going to waste

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    personally i like vista and don't plan on updating for a while.. if it ain't broke don't fix it.. why upgrade if you don't need to

I installed it and its a pretty neat os (using it to post on here). Interface has been changed, it seems to be more interactive. The clutter on the taskbar is gone. It seems as though the interface changes could have been put into a vista service pack. Created more shortcuts. Performance is way faster but that could easily be contributed to this being a fresh install. It should be possible to run this on a comp with only 1 gb of ram.

Quote Originally Posted by quarry206 View Post
    personally i like vista and don't plan on updating for a while.. if it ain't broke don't fix it.. why upgrade if you don't need to
    you're in the minority who think that. in my mind, what does it offer over xp? things you either get from a linux os (the looks) or a myriad of problems that no one is working fast enough to fix. even after sp1 came out, its still not a very solid os. so i would have used your theory and applied it to xp, which was perfectly fine for the years i've used it.

0tolerance is offline Associate Member
    T own, if your unsure of the dual booting scenario download a free copy of Vmware..
    you can insteall the operating system on there with ease and you can start windows 7 while your in your current operating system and exit out at any time.
    search google for vmware and the website is the first on there...
    or if u hate trials download a copy via bittorent with a crack

i won't lie XP was my favorite OS from microsoft. but as long as you computer is built for it, vista has never failed me. i mean if more people would build stuff for it i would use Ubuntu.

but i think if you really think about it you would have to agree. most people that don't like vista are people with higher computer knowledge. but that is not really who the OS was designed for.. It is designed for the mass public. for people jumping on their computer to surf myspace and write work or school documents..

I just truely believe that 90% of computer issues come from people upgrading when they don't need to, or their computer can't handle it.. exspecailly with hardware, people love to jump out and buy the latest and greatest thing. but most of the time their system won't improve or their chipset is already limited.. upgrading doesn't always equal better proformance.

Looks a lot like Vista, very pertty images its a beta version, a bit less user friendly then other OS.

Pc cillin will not work on this version you will have to use either norton or AVG, since its only a beta version i downloaded the trial version for AVG and it works fine.

Has for my part i dont think my company will upgrade to this system quarry206 is so right about XP, its a very strong OS that has stood the test of time, with a SP3 and lots of upgrade there is no need to upgrade to Windows 7 at least for now.

Quote Originally Posted by 0tolerance View Post
    T own, if your unsure of the dual booting scenario download a free copy of Vmware..
    you can insteall the operating system on there with ease and you can start windows 7 while your in your current operating system and exit out at any time.
    search google for vmware and the website is the first on there...
    or if u hate trials download a copy via bittorent with a crack
    ok thanks i might look into that. i'm not really unsure, per say, because its a fresh drive, so if i did mess up, i wouldn't lose anything, unlike on my home computer which i've had for 2-3 years and built up tons of stuff on.

quarry, i know what you mean, and i do agree with that. my sisters laptop came with vista on it and she doesn't complain, but when i use it, i don't like it. the computer i'm on right now has vista on it and its terrible.

what do you mean about more people building stuff for ubuntu? you can run it on any hardware and its less demanding than XP by far. its basically just a cut down version of macs OS, with lots of options to customize.

yes, its very true about people upgrading on a whim. most people have no idea that there single core celeron isn't powerful enough to make use of 2 9800GTX+'s in sli, and they don't realize the bottleneck is on the cpu instead of the cards. so they go out and buy new ones again in 6 months. or people thinking they need all this ram because there computer is too slow loading MS office.. most people are very computer illiterate.

yannick, if i had a copy of XP pro sp3 and a windows 7 beta disc in my hand, i would definitely use the xp pro, but i'm just saving money by going with this and maybe a linux version.

Linux GUI is pertty impressive i tried some of the red hat series well maybe back in 2003.

yeah, you can pretty much do whatever you want between all the unix/linux versions out there, but i just like it for how little hardware it requires so it leaves the most power free. also, mac OSes are basically a version of unix, so i would probably make my linux look like a mac.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    The last thing i want from windows is a beta. They cant even get the final releases correct.

Other issues that i noticed with Windows 7, it will install the IE 8 beta version and it is bugged, in the task manager 2 services of IE8 will open each time you open IE8, at some point you will have 4 to 5 IE8 services running in the task manager at once and IE8 will eventually freeze up.

If you remove it and install IE7 you will have some bugs again, what i did since its only a test version is that i just install firefox and imported all my bookmarks and settings that i used in IE8 into firefox, the issue is not resolved but right now there is no update to fix the issue has i have search the internet.

Other then that Windows 7 works fine, i got a OEM copy of Windows server 2008 that allows me to install it and test it for long periods of time, i will be able to see how Windows 7 reacts in a domain and network environnement.

inevitable is offline Member
    been running 7 for a month now. 64-bit love it honeslty. vista blows ass

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    The most stable OS microsoft has ever come out with is Windows 2000, though right now its a bit dated and XP is a close second. I'm running XP now using firefox and a good AV software and its alright.

Vista is an abomination IMO

I'll try Win7 when the final version and a few service packs come out

Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    The most stable OS microsoft has ever come out with is Windows 2000, though right now its a bit dated and XP is a close second. I'm running XP now using firefox and a good AV software and its alright.
    no way haha.... 2000/ME was AWFUL. by far xp is the best, 98 was a close second. 2000 and vista just missed the mark. thats why 2 years later they came out with a new one. xp has been around for 5 years and people still use it

ok well if anyone still checks this thread, i have to call myself a hypocrite. after i got my computer all built, it wouldn't recognize the windows 7 disc as an OS disc, maybe because i renamed the file, but it was still an ISO so i'm not sure.

but through my school i get a free copy of XP pro and vista, so i'm running XP pro sp3 right now, maybe in a couple days when i finally get it all set up i'll try out 7 again, on a new disc and with a partition

windows 2000 was horrible. the amount of errors, and backwards configs added up to it being close to one of the shortest lived OS's... and if that OS is on a network just forget about it working well with anything. It has many limits. maybe for its time was good, but it was an out dated OS within 2 years..

Quote Originally Posted by T_Own View Post
    no way haha.... 2000/ME was AWFUL. by far xp is the best, 98 was a close second. 2000 and vista just missed the mark. thats why 2 years later they came out with a new one. xp has been around for 5 years and people still use it
    Windows 2000 Pro was based off of Win NT Workstation and is a totally different animal from ME. ME is garbage; I agree. 2000 on the other hand is still a good choice for older machines, and microsoft is continuing to support it till mid 2010

Windows 2000 Pro was based off of Win NT Workstation and is a totally different animal from ME. ME is garbage; I agree. 2000 on the other hand is still a good choice for older machines, and microsoft is continuing to support it till mid 2010
    i agree with quarry.. for older machines windows 98 was still much better. i grew up using macs and i was like 13 when we got a windows and we had XP on it, but from what i've heard, there was nothing good about 2000. look how long it lasted; only 2 years, then xp was around for 5 until vista came out, and even now (7 years later) people refuse to go to vista and are waiting on the release of windows 7 and probably even til the first sp is out. so i don't see how any OS can compare to XP, which will be used by most of windows users for about 8 years.

BlackHat is offline Junior Member
    Windows just messed it up with Vista and now again trying to make a quick version to cover up, i advice all of you to try the OSX operating system... i truly think anyone who uses it for like a week and gets used to it will convert to a mac user as soon as the next check kicks in.

Good luck all

Thread Information