Dinosaur is offline Member

New computer clean up, how can I do it?

If this has been posted already before than i will ask u for the link.

I bought a new computer and it has all that junk stuff as u guys are all aware of it. so my question is, how can i clean it up?
    Any help is appreciated.

IM708 is offline AR's Supplement Guru
    Uninstall, find directories and remove if any are left over, get a registry cleaning program to clean up the rest. Or format and reinstall OS.

HOLLYWOOD.JACK is offline Associate Member
    Do a complete format, reinstall Windows ..

Dinosaur is offline Member
    can anyone of you guys be more specific, like give me some details i did follow some links but i don't know if that will delete them permantly from my comp or not.
    one more thing i did the serch botton in my computer and found some of the programs and adds i don't need to use.
    if I did reformat the computer wouldn't that set it to its original manufaturer settings than i will end up with same thing.

IM708 is offline AR's Supplement Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by charrif View Post
    can anyone of you guys be more specific, like give me some details i did follow some links but i don't know if that will delete them permantly from my comp or not.
    one more thing i did the serch botton in my computer and found some of the programs and adds i don't need to use.
    if I did reformat the computer wouldn't that set it to its original manufaturer settings than i will end up with same thing.
    It might reload all the bloatware. There might be a separate windows install disk then another for all the extras.

Dazza21 is offline Junior Member

I bought a new computer and it has all that junk stuff as u guys are all aware of it. so my question is, how can i clean it up?
    Any help is appreciated.
    http://sourceforge.net/project/downl...se_mirror=kent

This is the only thing you'll need to completely wipe your hardrive, used it a few times and it's awesome. But bewar, it will wipe EVERYTHING, as far as i know its 'government approved' as in they'd be happy to use it/ do use it to wipe information.

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    LOL...he isn't asking how to do a DoD wipe. He just wants to uninstall programs.

In Windows Vista:

Control Panel>Programs and Features>Click program you want to uninstall, then at the top of the window>Uninstall/Change

SayNoToDougs is offline New Member
    I would just uninstall the programs you deem as bloatware as it's the easiest way. But to be sure the OS is how YOU want it, I would do a complete reinstall. Just make sure you have your computers driver discs handy and also use the separate Windows install disc like ironmaiden708 mentions if your computer comes with it.

NoDougs

Dean Graziosi is offline New Member

Building my next PC. Suggestions needed.

Hi,

I'm about to build my next PC as my present one is 3 years old.

Requirements.

1. I'm always trying to get the best value for money.
    2. Although I'm not hardcore gamer I wouldn't mind if it could run at decent fps.
    3. I might add another graphics card at some point in the future so mobo should be fine with this.
    4. The PC should last for next 3 years with possible updates [memory, graphics card, CPU].
    5. See point 1. I'm not willing to burn money on things that are not essential to achieve the above.

Shopping at Dabs. Basic specs

MSI S775 nForce 650i SLI DDR2 ATX AL eitther this or Platinum version
    Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 2GHz Socket 775 800FSB 2MB
    Dabs Value NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS 256MB DDR3 PCI-E DVI
    Memory - 1GB. Not sure which one to choose though.

Suggestions are more than welcome.

thanks!
    Dean Graziosi

rogue01 is offline Associate Member
    Dean, you should start your own thread. You will get better results than jumping the tail end of someone's thread.

I usually visit newegg or frys for parts. It can be hard to beat the pre-built machines though as far as bang for your buck...you can customize them and they have become very cheap.

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    Just open control panel and select progams and let it run. Then select the ones you do not want and click the uninstall option at the top of the screen.

Necrosaro is offline Senior Member
    When getting a new computer the best way is to reformat it with the Windows disk(depending on which disk you have; if you have a microsoft one that is fine but if you have a manufactor disk then it might just put that bloat back on there). That is going to be the easiest way if you have some computer knowledge. Uninstalling programs will always leave the files there even if you think you got rid of it all. There will always be files left over somewhere! If you need help get a hld of me and I can walk you through everything you need for you to get the most out of your new computer purchase

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    yo...not sure what you are looking for ...but I build my pc's for about 800 (loaded...i7 , 12 gig memory, 1.5 tb, 1 gig vid card). Best bet is to get a bare bones kit and slap it together.

(price doesn't include software cus well...you know)

LOL sorry..i answered dean's hijack comment. Reformat it. But make sure you get the key off teh system before you do it

gigabitbucket is offline Associate Member

its a start

Check out BCwipe at
    http://www.jetico.com/index.htm#/bcwipe.htm
    it'll wipe the hard drive to US Department of Defense standards and it is free!

BJJ
    BJJ is offline Sapiens Fingit Fortunam Sibi

Arrow

Any help is appreciated.
    Just make a full format of the hardrive with the disk related to the operating system (the disk should be included).
    Insert the disk in the cd/dvd/bd rom, shut down the pc and switch it back on after no less than five seconds.Then, choose to start from the rom and easily follow the on screen instructions.
    It is that easy and mostly, it is the only safe way.

shafts basson is offline Associate Member
    search google for YourUninstaller! its a great program that goes further than your regular add/remove program.

it will delete everything that is involved with the program including registration keys.

also after you run that get CCleaner. It will take all the rest of that extra crap off the computer. Orphan files, .ink files, cookies, useless .dll's, and the list goes on. Ive done this on a few friends comp and freed up a gig of space just by CCleaner alone. Do that and it should work like a charm.

CCleaner is freeware
    YourUninstaller might not be. If so PM me and ill direct you

EndlessDreams is offline New Member
    PC Decrapifier then run CCleaner and it would clean that thing up nice.

DoD approved

BCWipe - have to do a minimum of 7 passes, ( you set this up all at once)

EndlessDreams is offline New Member

Any help is appreciated.
    If you dont want to reformat then use the two programs I posted. They will clean all the bs that comes with them stock. If you dont mind clearing your whole hard drive and reformatting with a windows cd then use BCWipe. Keep in mind you use BCWipe you have nothing left at all when its done so you will need to reload a windows os on there. At least that is how it looks like it does. I never used it I also build my pcs this way they dont come loaded with the bs.
    Last edited by EndlessDreams; 08-17-2009 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessDreams View Post
    If you dont want to reformat then use the two programs I posted. They will clean all the bs that comes with them stock. If you dont mind clearing your whole hard drive and reformatting with a windows cd then use BCWipe. Keep in mind you use BCWipe you have nothing left at all when its done so you will need to reload a windows os on there. At least that is how it looks like it does. I never used it I also build my pcs this way they dont come loaded with the bs.

If you use BCWipe properly nothing will be left , nothing.
    has to be a bootable CD or a floppy.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

Any help is appreciated.
    Just uninstall any programs you do not want.

Then run Ccleaner like said before

You can then go into start / run / msconfig / startup and disable any programs that you dont want to start when windows loads (helps boot times)

Then start / control panel / system / advanced / performance / visual effects , select Adjust for best performance . It takes away some eye candy.

Want to strip it more ?

Turn windows theme to classic , taking away more eye candy.

My personally take performance over eye candy any day.

Now defrag and do so once a week.
    (locations of settings were for XP ; im sure vista is close enough to figure out)

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    P.S

Be careful about formatting if you don't know what your doing. First off did you get a CD with the PC ? If not im sure your windows is loaded on a separate partition. If you format that you are screwed. Second of all, if you didnt get a CD , format , then reload from the partition your going to get the same junk back so its pointless.

jamyjamjr is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Just uninstall any programs you do not want.

Then run Ccleaner like said before

You can then go into start / run / msconfig / startup and disable any programs that you dont want to start when windows loads (helps boot times)

Then start / control panel / system / advanced / performance / visual effects , select Adjust for best performance . It takes away some eye candy.

Want to strip it more ?

Turn windows theme to classic , taking away more eye candy.

My personally take performance over eye candy any day.

Now defrag and do so once a week.
    (locations of settings were for XP ; im sure vista is close enough to figure out)
    with all the pics you have?? really??? lolol

Thread Information