yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member

Time to get serious

Ok i got layed off about 2 weeks ago, i am a computer technicien with 12 solid years of experience and have worked for 2 big companies and did a very good intership when i got out of school in 1997.

I studied networking but never really got to the point to be a system admin.

I have been self learning for 6 months now, got Windows 2003 server, install active directory, DNS and DHCP on the same computer.

Now i really need to get serious about this, i went to a private school and spoke to the teacher there, he told me that my knowlege was pertty good and that i would not need to do the whole course, only bits and parts of it, the total cost is 7000$ that is a lot of money and not sure if the unemployment agency is going to pay for that.

I have to find a way to get in that class no matter what, my first teacher who was there in 1997 is now director at that school, i sent him my cv, he told me he would look into is contacts.

Lets hope everything works for the best.

Necrosaro is offline Senior Member
    I can hear ya, I was laid off as well and I am a computer techician. Currently I am in the process of starting my own computer business here in town and mostly have been getting all my suppliers setup as well as my supplies that I will need in being successful. Hope all the best to you from another fellow computer tech.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Necrosaro View Post
    I can hear ya, I was laid off as well and I am a computer techician. Currently I am in the process of starting my own computer business here in town and mostly have been getting all my suppliers setup as well as my supplies that I will need in being successful. Hope all the best to you from another fellow computer tech.
    I got some buisness cards that i give away, i do some support here and there sort of the keep my knowlege i also charge cheap 20-25$ per hour and if i need to reinstall a computer i do have a package deal, they still need to pay the license they use, say office package and anti virus.

I will be honest i cant live out of this alone, but it pays the bills.

Good luck in your company if you work hard there is no reason for you to fail, just to think of it every house has at least 1 computer in it, and somethings 4 like me LOL

Necrosaro is offline Senior Member
    My best wishes to you as well. Hopefully you are back on your feet fast and back in the world of annoying computer repair :P

So far so good classes are going very well, i am learning fast guess its because i really love what i am doing.

I live near Montreal Canada and was amazed at how much the network class that i got too is empty, back in 1997-1998 when i studied we where 3 full packed classes of 30 students now there is only one class and we are max 8, in theses 8 most of them spend there time surfing the internet and not really enjoying what they do.

Awful, my teacher said he is going to coach me since he sees that i really love networking, he is certified like crazy cicso, microsoft and is also a progammer analyst.

He said that before i leave he is going to teach me basic programming, the more you know the better.

So far so good, i built my own network with domain controller forest and child domain enabled dhcp and dns services and active directory on all 3 servers to sync.

Labs are cool theory is another thing. I met the women at the placement agency and she said that so far she found jobs for all the guys in the networking class, even for the programmers and they are a lot more of them.

So that is encouraging.

I have been refusing a lot of jobs too, paying 35k a year, a lot of placement agency really think we are morons and will work for free, i leave near Montreal not in Montreal so of them want to pay me 12$ hour to be on the phone all day in downtown Montreal.

Others want to give me cool jobs but the salary is ridiculous.

Most say that networking jobs you can start at 45000$ or more, i am not a junior in IT, i am a senior tech support and for most jobs i see they mix both networking and computer techicien.

I guess by today standard being a computer technicien just doesnt cut it anymore, you gotta have more to offer then reinstall xp and connect a network printer.

Another thing is a recent study found that 1 computer technicien out of 2 is incompetant, funny i was thinking of the guys that stayed at my old job LOL, funny thing when you bring in the techology, you solve issues without asking anyone around you, and they lay me off to keep the 2 others that are totally lost.

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    good luck bro...

i'm coming up in a few months on my certs running up, and have to retake them so i was studying the other night and actually wondered how your stuff was going...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by quarry206 View Post
    good luck bro...

i'm coming up in a few months on my certs running up, and have to retake them so i was studying the other night and actually wondered how your stuff was going...
    Thanks for asking, everything is fine for now, i really hope that there is a shortage of network admins soon so we can get the big money jobs LOL

t-gunz is offline MONITOR~ ~ RIP ~ Gone never Forgotten
    glad yo here your going well
    . i've got 6 months left of my netowrk engineering diploma. pretty excited. i got offered a job already for around 50k 10 mins from my palce. but if i travel an hour up to sydney. i will get more money. gotta love being a network administrator

Quote Originally Posted by t-gunz View Post
    glad yo here your going well
    . i've got 6 months left of my netowrk engineering diploma. pretty excited. i got offered a job already for around 50k 10 mins from my palce. but if i travel an hour up to sydney. i will get more money. gotta love being a network administrator
    Note there yet, i cannot call myself net admin, way to much to learn, i would really love to get in a company and be the junior admin and learn from a real admin.

I am still a computer technicien still 12 years of experience in the field and i do have some good networking knowlege but the class i am attending now makes all the difference in the world.

No real interesting offers, i used to work 5 minutes from my house made 43k i was happy and everything was going well until i got layed off.

Now i am adjusting to traffic again and traveling, for me its not really for the money but rather finding a job that i will love with a good team, not like the team i had at my other job which was horrible.

Thread Information