FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED

Password Protect

Anyone know how to password protect a picture folder? I dont want to create a sperate user account but would rather just password protect a folder or two. I know how to do it with Word documents but cant figure it out on folder.

gigabitbucket is offline Associate Member

one way to do this is;

Open up Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder that you wish to protect.

Right-click on it and choose "Properties."

Click on the "Advanced" button.

Under "Compress or Encrypt Attributes," check the box "Encrypt Contents to Secure Data." If you do not log on to your computer with a password, you will now be prompted for one.

Click "OK" twice and you will now be able to log off and log back in. You will be prompted for a password when trying to access the folder.

always use a password that is a minimum of 15 charactors. upercase , lowercase, symbol , numbers

Quote Originally Posted by gigabitbucket View Post
    Open up Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder that you wish to protect.

Right-click on it and choose "Properties."

Click on the "Advanced" button.

Under "Compress or Encrypt Attributes," check the box "Encrypt Contents to Secure Data." If you do not log on to your computer with a password, you will now be prompted for one.

Click "OK" twice and you will now be able to log off and log back in. You will be prompted for a password when trying to access the folder.

always use a password that is a minimum of 15 charactors. upercase , lowercase, symbol , numbers
    This box is grayed out when I open the advanced tab and I cannot check it?

Is this your home computer? we can make you an "admin"
    or
    If this is your work computer, depending on the "GPO" ( Group Policies) you will not be able to do this task.

Is this your home computer? we can make you an "admin"
    or
    If this is your work computer, depending on the "GPO" ( Group Policies) you will not be able to do this task.
    Yes, home PC.

1. do you happen to know if you are an admin on your computer?
    2. if not;
    In order to perform some tasks on your computer, your computer account must be an Administrator account so you have permission to make the those changes. You can easily give yourself administrator rights on your computer. To do this, you will need to know your exact login name. Your login name is the name that you use to log into Windows.

Right click on your My Computer icon (if it’s not on your desktop, it will be in your Start Menu). Click the “manage” option.

The Computer Management window will open. In the left hand navigation pane expand Local Users and Groups, click on “Groups” and double click “Administrators” in the right hand pane.

The Admin properties will now open so click the “Add” button.

In the text bottom enter login name and click the “OK” button.

Your name should now be added to the Members area of the Admin Properties window. Click the “OK” button, close the Windows Management window and you are now a member of the administrators group in Windows XP.

For this to take affect, you must log off and log back onto your computer (or you can just restart your computer, it’s up to you).

1. do you happen to know if you are an admin on your computer?
    2. if not;
    In order to perform some tasks on your computer, your computer account must be an Administrator account so you have permission to make the those changes. You can easily give yourself administrator rights on your computer. To do this, you will need to know your exact login name. Your login name is the name that you use to log into Windows.

Right click on your My Computer icon (if it’s not on your desktop, it will be in your Start Menu). Click the “manage” option.

The Computer Management window will open. In the left hand navigation pane expand Local Users and Groups, click on “Groups” and double click “Administrators” in the right hand pane.

The Admin properties will now open so click the “Add” button.

In the text bottom enter login name and click the “OK” button.

Your name should now be added to the Members area of the Admin Properties window. Click the “OK” button, close the Windows Management window and you are now a member of the administrators group in Windows XP.

For this to take affect, you must log off and log back onto your computer (or you can just restart your computer, it’s up to you).
    I dont have that option when I click on the "manage" button.
    I have:
    System Tools
    Storage
    Services and Applications

I appreciate your help on this, feel like an idiot on the customer support hotline.

Also, on the control panel under user accounts I am listed as the administrator.

No need to feel anyway, its all good.

As an admin,( god rights) you should not have anything "greyed"out so, there is a configuration that needs to be changed. hummmm

how about taking a look at this video;

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/444905...les_invisible/

hope this works, you can also make the folder invisible,( Yes folders )

Necrosaro is offline Senior Member
    I like to use winrar to make password protected files, Just rar the files and password protect them....it is not the best method but should keep out unwanted visitors.

for .rar , is for unix. Yes there are always 3rd party sortware utilities.

You can download for free

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I will just stash the folder in another place other than my pics folder and just create another user account.

jackjackson is offline Senior Member
    Yeh Invis folders wont help
    Im not going to list my certs but lets just say a huge long pass pharse is your best bet via winrar.
    Even a brute force will take quite some time even with mutiple agents on a few powerful PCs/servers
    Just make sure you 2 are the only ones that know of them.
    Otherwise if someone was smart enough they could lay a hardware based keylogger or worst yet rootkit you, but im sure thats not an issue.

Thread Information