SkylineGTR is offline Associate Member

Linksys Wireless Router help

Hopefully somebody can help me with this....

I have the Linksys Wireless N-Gigabit Router. we have two laptops connecting wirelessly, and an xbox 360 connecting wirelessly as well. The router and cable modem is connected downstairs to the desktop computer.

The problem I am having is whenever somebody is on the desktop computer downstairs it makes online gaming on the xbox 360 VERY VERY laggy and can sometimes disconnect the connection to the xbox. Are there any settings on the router I need to mess wtih?

Thank you!

Necrosaro is offline Senior Member
    Can you put the exact spec's of the router here for me. Also another thing is your router password protected? Any devices such as wireless phones around? How strong is the connection when connecting?

Some of these things can help me in your toubleshooting.

Bryan2 is offline Supplement Guru
    look into replacing your router with a dual band also make sure if you have wirelss phones they are not on the same frequency

pravda is offline Junior Member
    what is the model number of you router?
    what type of high speed do you have? I see you have a cable modem, but do you have regular high speed, extreme high speed.....?

EZ E is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan2 View Post
    look into replacing your router with a dual band also make sure if you have wirelss phones they are not on the same frequency
    It doesn't sound like a wireless problem if it only happens when someone is using the non wireless computer.

How exactly are the wireless router and cable modem connected to the desktop?

Necrosaro is offline Senior Member
    ^ Actually to correct you "whenever somebody is on the desktop computer downstairs " means that when someone is using the internet at the same time he is, he has problems which shouldn't be because I don't and I have wireless on my computer downstairs and peope use the internet upstairs.

pravda is offline Junior Member
    goto http://www.linksysbycisco.com ------> Support. Enter your model # and download the firmware. update it on your router.

Eddie_m63 is offline Member
    Is your speed, i had that problem before until i upgraded. CHECK THE SPEED AT
    http://www.speedtest.net/. mine came up just over 5mbs

EZ E is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrosaro View Post
    ^ Actually to correct you "whenever somebody is on the desktop computer downstairs " means that when someone is using the internet at the same time he is, he has problems which shouldn't be because I don't and I have wireless on my computer downstairs and peope use the internet upstairs.
    Yes, but the downstairs computer is on the hardline so it's not a wireless issue. It might be a bandwidth issue on, but the use of the computer downstairs shouldn't affect the propagation of data over the wireless network. We need to know how everything is plugged together to help isolate the problem.

SkylineGTR is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EZ E View Post
    Yes, but the downstairs computer is on the hardline so it's not a wireless issue. It might be a bandwidth issue on, but the use of the computer downstairs shouldn't affect the propagation of data over the wireless network. We need to know how everything is plugged together to help isolate the problem.
    Im really sorry I haven't checked this after i posted!! Thank you for the responses...

I have the wireless router connected to the modem and the desktop computer connected to the router

drdeath613 is offline Senior Member
    really theres nothing u can do about it i have a problem where my room mate plays final fantasy online thru the 360 and it sucks up all the bandwidth when hes in a big town where everyone is and im running 15k/512 and thats pretty much the best cable can provide when i download torrents 90% of the time i rest at a 3mbps download

it just depends how much your desktop is using at the time

but on the other hand i can play my 360 while hes on his and get no lag

gigabitbucket is offline Associate Member
    I have to concur with Drdeath613.
    But I do have some suggestions.
    1. Upgrade your router, linksys is nice but, IMHO dlink is better
    2. Run a wire, if you can , its the best way
    3. check your security settings, higher the settings the slower the speed. I know where do you draw the line.
    4. Dont let anyone use the downstairs computer when you are playing games.

I now have a dlink wireless N dir 655 ( G/B ) router and when we are using our PS3 or WII , I never have any issues with speed or disconnects.
    Please note I have to use G for both the PS3 and WII. Using the G, also means that our security settings have to be lowered ( compared to N). Stronger security settings, slower tranfer speeds.

shredhead is offline New Member
    highly doubt it is your router....sounds like you are running out of bandwidth...what internet speed are you paying for.....password protect your router also...using WPA or WPA2 not WEP... wep can be cracked in 5 minutes...this will make sure no neighbors are mooching bandwidth from you...

boz
    boz is offline R.I.P. T-Gunz Gone but, Never Forgotten.
    This issue used to occur with me alot on my PC when i had ppl in my house using wireless connectivity, and i was wired connected to my PC i would always have disconnection occurrence while gaming

I have to agree with security WPA or WPA are prob your best options to prevent ppl using your connection.

Possible modem upgrade to dual band as someone has also mentioned

Finally to solve your problems if you can buy a long enough cat5 or cat6 cable and stay wired

I spit on wireless, its putrid.

Phosphor is offline Junior Member
    Wireless is fine if you have good equipment, but nothing beats a hard line. You could always change the channel the wireless is running on within the wireless settings on the router. Also, some have bandwidth limiters per connections as well. If you suspect someone has hacked your router, you can easily see what devices are connected through the router as well. WPA and WPA2 are your friend.

Techguy30 is offline Junior Member
    Sounds like a bandwith issue, I get the same thing on my xbox360. If my wife gets on the computer it lags like crazy. I shoulda went with something other than the cheap dsl package

zabster151 is offline Member
    ok. wow there has been allot said. but what it all comes down to is that you need to upgrade your internet bandwith. that simple.

stay away from DSL.. cable is allot better

Thread Information