LawMan018 is offline Senior Member

PC Problem... Possible Virus? Heats up and slows down...

Awhile ago my main account on my computer came under attack. I was not able to do a thing! I'd constantly get hammered with pop ups as soon as I entered it and nothing I could do would stop them... The links would lead me to an anti-malware website to buy something to fix it (go figure), and I was powerless to do anything else...

I created another account in the meantime and was able to access everything just fine with no apparent harm. I downloaded a free malware locator however it did not come up with anything on my computer at all... Strange... I'm hesitant as to buying another Virus protector or what not such as Norton, but I may need to...

Anyways, life went on and since it wasn't bothering my new account, it got pushed to the back of my mind. I play computer games regularly, however, after awhile I noticed my laptop gaming pc would get extremely warm and the fps would slow down drastically! This never happened before... It would last anywhere from 1 minute to 5 minutes! Then go back to normal for another 5 minutes then repeat!

This has become increasingly irritating as I do not know what the exact problem is! I also thought my fan might need cleaning so I carefully undid the screws and looked at it. It's got a little bit of dust in it, but not enough that would hinder its ability to cool my laptop (as far as my newb computer skills assumed). Anyways, sorry for the long "spiel", if anyone can help please!!!

Bryan2 is offline Supplement Guru
    different issues, grab a can of compressed air and blast out the fans, youd be amazed what comes out even when you look at it,

does it only slow down and get hot when you are stressing it (like playing a game?)

As far as the virus, if you dont have anything on the old account just delete it.

Download malwarebytes and run it, then uninstall it and download a free 30 day trial of kaspersky and run it, out of both of those they will be able to clean up your system from viruses and such.

If you notice it continually heating up(even after cleaning the fans) it could be the fan is starting to go bad or another physical part.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan2 View Post
    different issues, grab a can of compressed air and blast out the fans, youd be amazed what comes out even when you look at it,

does it only slow down and get hot when you are stressing it (like playing a game?)

As far as the virus, if you dont have anything on the old account just delete it.

Download malwarebytes and run it, then uninstall it and download a free 30 day trial of kaspersky and run it, out of both of those they will be able to clean up your system from viruses and such.

If you notice it continually heating up(even after cleaning the fans) it could be the fan is starting to go bad or another physical part.
    I'm going to pick up a compressed air can next time I go out, probably Wednesday and try it... Just spray it in the vent the air blows out from? Also, yeah, only heats up when it's being stressed, but again, it's never gotten this hot and has never affected my games prior to this. I'll try and download those and give em a run later tonight, hopefully that'll clear em up. My dad recommended one one time (spycrawler or something?) and id didn't detect any oddly enough, so hopefully these will.

zabster151 is offline Member
    if you need help contact me seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by zabster151 View Post
    if you need help contact me seriously?
    Thanks, I'll contact you if what he told me doesn't work... I installed the first one, it ended up finding 22 malware!!! I uninstalled then tried the second one... It said it couldn't install because it wasn't compatible with 2 other programs... Being Norton... So I uninstalled it (had a trial for it a year and a half ago... It's been expired) and tried again... It said I still have 1, something something norton, can't remember exact name... I'm at work right now. I searched through the add/remove programs folder and couldn't find what the hell it was talking about so I gave up on it late last night and will try again to find it when I get home tonight... Thanks again!

Bryan2 is offline Supplement Guru
    Google "norton removal tool"

Its a utility that will get rid of all the left over norton bits, Then restart and try to download kaspersky again.

mm2010 is offline New Member
    Bit late to post in the thread but i just fixed someones computer who had tried several different methods, make sure the power cable isn't faulty. Replace it and see if it works OK, simple trick and worked fine for a friends computer with the EXACT same problem!

insert10p is offline New Member
    try trend onlines antivirus that you can run without installing fully

you could also download free
    revo uninstaller
    to get rid of that Norton muck
    norton is a real resorse hog

Thread Information