Anabolic_Minds is offline Associate Member

What is the difference between 32 and 64 bits

Could someone please explain me in simple terms what is the difference, i've got some computer knowledge and used to be kind of a geek about 10 years ago but i honestly don't remember much.

Anyway I've read about this but i honestly dont get it, could someone explain it to me please?

Thanks

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100

omg i dont get it honestly im a bit slow today with computer hardware.
    say for example windows 32 and 64, what would the difference be?

|2ogue is offline Junior Member
    It is to do with the computers memory addressing abilitys. A 32 bit operating system such as Windows can only access 4GB of memory (not hard drive memory, just the computers internal memory). However the graphics system on any pc or laptop has some memory for itself, so the max RAM memory that a 32 bit windows could address is 3.5GB. A 64 bit operating system can access many many times more, enabling computers to have more ram memory. Any pc or laptop with 4GB or more of memory would need a 64 bit operating system to be able to address it.
    Imagine each little peice of memory having a number address, 1,2,3,4,5 etc etc ( this goes into millions) the 64 bit operating system can go to much higher address number than the 32 bit.
    There's a little more to it than that, but thats the jist of it. (PS, most software is still only really geared towards the 32 bit version,but nearlly all will still work on the 64 bit.)
    I have a 64 bit version of windows as my computer has 4GB of RAM memory plus the 512MB of memory that is on the graphics card. So in total 4.5GB.
    Hope that helps.
    (PS for those who dont know RAM=Random Access Memory, which is the memory on the circuit board of the pc that it uses to carry out tasks and operate software etc)

Necrosaro is offline Senior Member
    Plan and simple 64 bit you are able to install more then 4 gigs of ram; 32 bit you can only install 4 or less.

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    well...i'll give you the basics of it... 64 bit utilizes hardware more than 32 bit does. It allows better handling of process intensive things like photoshop or video editing. It also does not have the same hardware restriction that 32 bit does so it allows for more upgradability.

The only draw back is that a few basic user end software doens't have support in 64 bit. But I have had only a few instances of that and usually you can do a little research and find an alternative.

so given that their is only a small price difference...go 64

thanks for this it doesnt sound that complicated. However is it hardware or software, i mean do you need to purchase 64bit hardware or is it something you upgrade with software?
    i know it might sound stupid, as i said before i'm not a computer geek. Thank you!

Necrosaro is offline Senior Member
    If the software is only for 32 bit it will not work(which is usually the case with older programs). Most newer software out now isn't a big problem but sometimes it can happen. It doesn't matter if it is hardware though!

thanks everyone i finally get it now, mine is 4gb ddr3 and 64 bits. So software for 32 bits is inferior to a 64 bit software i guess?

zabster151 is offline Member
    The dif is 32 it runs programs using prossor and ram together a 64 bit system uses your ram first for everything like for media software and video programs

Bryan2 is offline Supplement Guru
    Everything is 64 bit now, no use for 32 bit anymore

|2ogue is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zabster151 View Post
    The dif is 32 it runs programs using prossor and ram together a 64 bit system uses your ram first for everything like for media software and video programs
    All software is run by the processor, the ram (Random Access Memory) is just used by the processor to temporarily store info. All processors for the past 5yrs or so have been 64 bit compatible, for any other hardware it makes no difference whether you use 32 or 64 bit, as they still do the same jobs regardless. The more ram you have the more data can be temporarily stored on it, the processor can use data from the ram much quicker than the hard drive, making it run software faster. The more things you want to run at once, the more ram you need ideally. (if system runs out of ram, it can use hard drive instead, but this is much slower). If you are going to buy a new version of windows, then its always best to use 64 bit. Most software still only runs in 32 bit mode, but thats very rarely a problem now. 64 bit windows can still run 32 bit software.
    Hope that helps. If you have 4gb ram Anabolic Minds, and 64 bit windows, then your fine.

anubus is offline New Member
    A 64 bit cpu running a 64 bit operating system (windows 7) will process twice as much data per cycle as the 32 bit system running at the same clock speed.The memory space that can be addressed will also be much greater, because there will be more unique adresses . 2 to the 32nd power versus 2 to the 64th power ,more unique adresses means you can have more adresable ram ,this goes for the hard drives as well.This all adds up to the 64 bit machine being able to do bigger jobs much faster than the 32 bit systems.you don't need to worry about your old software not working ,the new 64 bit systems are backward compatable and will run both 32 and 64 bit software,the 64 bit stuff will just be faster.Hope this helps.

Phosphor is offline Junior Member
    There are still many relevent softwares that are coded 32bit. People would notice a difference between 32 and 64 if the package is quite large in scope and size if ran side by side, but in smaller pieces you would not but by a few seconds difference possibly. The main aspect to look at for a 64bit OS to use 64bit programs is the processor - anything in the last 4 years utilize the extra capabilities that 64bit provides (e.g. intel core duo, etc). You have o watch though that some software still has bugs in the 64bit version vs. the 32bit and vice versa. But nowadays, this is becoming a rarity since 64bit is pretty much the norm. In short, dont shy away from a 32bit only version (it still works in a 64bit os) for a program if thats all there is available if you like the software - more than likely, you won't notice a performance difference.

Bryan2 is offline Supplement Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by aimology View Post
    Nobody needs 64 bit, unless they are using over 4gigs of ram. That simple really. If this person says ( he does need ) otherwise, then he better be using more then 4gigs, multi-tasking and doing some type of audio / video programming or running servers. I run windows 7 enterprise edition with only 4 gigs of memory. I dont need this, but I do it because its a top of the line O/S ( operating system ) but the MAJORITY of my programs are in the 32 bit folder, why? because majority of stuff dont run in 64 bit. I have some things that do and when you download, you need to make sure its 64 bit version if thats the type of O/S you're running.

You need to learn how to speak to people like an adult...... dueshe.

Look at EVERY SINGLE new windows computer sold and tell me what architecture is on it? they don't even produce 32 bit anymore.

I manage the geek squad for a living and have been working with computers / servers for 10 years + so Id say I may have some relevant knowledge when it comes to the topic.

I am not refuting any of the points you made however 32 bit windows systems are not even in production anymore for mainstream use.

ComputerGuy is offline New Member
    Actually, they still do produce 32bit OS computers still. I own a computer store and we can still, legally build Windox XP machines, which are all 32 bit. The biggest problems we see are with older printers that you just cannot find drivers for. If you look at laptops at most retail stores they are about 75% 64 bit and 25% 32 bit. For the average user that does not have alot invested in older software or hardware, get the 64 bit version.

Thread Information