Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tracking IP's

tcw
    tcw is offline Senior Member

Tracking IP's

Is is possible to track your IP address?

I was looking at this site..and it looks like you can.

Can you circumvent this situation with a Dynamic IP?

http://www.ehow.com/how_4449351_find...-their-ip.html

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    You need a subopena to get someone's IP details legally.

You may be able to social engineer thei ISP company, but you'de have to spoof your email address to something government related.

Or, you need to know someone that has access to the server they're using and it needs to be hacked (rooted)...

Or, you need to know someone that is working for their ISP company, such as an engineer...

Its possible as I've done it, but somewhere along the chain someone needs to break the law by hacking or abuse of powers.

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    What's are you trying to do??? If you're just trying to keep anonymity you could just run through a private proxy then it wouldn't matter if somebody tracked it. I wouldn't see how they would be able to track you with a dynamic IP if you can change it often enough; however, most dynamic Ip's don't change every minute/hours/day. They're set up to change at certain intervals so it's hard to know exactly unless you're changing it yourself. On a side note: you can even change a static if you spoof the MAC, but most ISP's get upset if you do this. Mine shut me down for a week after they caught me spoofing the MAC.

LOL - That sounds like a early 90's rap song "Spoofing the Mac"

tcw
    Hey thanks Buds!

...Just trying to remain anonymous while surfing the net to various AAS sites. Some of these sites are wide open...and i don't want to leave my IP on their servers.

ALSO
    ..a bud of mine...got a letter from some Fed Agency about downloading movies from torrent sites. Not good.

Noot to mention the hackers that are out their....Right at the coffee shops. Man...the can get all your info....if they are good...and in big cities...they are out there.

Anyway....looking at different alternatives for privacy. I see proxy servers....and most of them STINK. They are slow as shit. I even thought about setting up a proxy server myself. There are also some vids on You tube about this....

check this, and the vids on the right
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vcb3...eature=related
    Last edited by tcw; 01-15-2012 at 12:24 PM.

tcw
    Hey Selfmade...

I think you mean this tune...

Quote Originally Posted by slfmade View Post
    What's are you trying to do??? If you're just trying to keep anonymity you could just run through a private proxy then it wouldn't matter if somebody tracked it. I wouldn't see how they would be able to track you with a dynamic IP if you can change it often enough; however, most dynamic Ip's don't change every minute/hours/day. They're set up to change at certain intervals so it's hard to know exactly unless you're changing it yourself. On a side note: you can even change a static if you spoof the MAC, but most ISP's get upset if you do this. Mine shut me down for a week after they caught me spoofing the MAC.

LOL - That sounds like a early 90's rap song "Spoofing the Mac"

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcw View Post
    Hey thanks Buds!

...Just trying to remain anonymous while surfing the net to various AAS sites. Some of these sites are wide open...and i don't want to leave my IP on their servers.

ALSO
    ..a bud of mine...got a letter from some Fed Agency about downloading movies from torrent sites. Not good.

Noot to mention the hackers that are out their....Right at the coffee shops. Man...the can get all your info....if they are good...and in big cities...they are out there.

Anyway....looking at different alternatives for privacy. I see proxy servers....and most of them STINK. They are slow as shit. I even thought about setting up a proxy server myself. There are also some vids on You tube about this....

check this, and the vids on the right
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vcb3...eature=related
    There are some very good private proxies out there that you can buy. Just don't use the free ones b/c they do suck.

I use to buy over 2000 different proxies per month when I was advertising on CL. Ah....those were the days. LOL

Get a VPN. f*ck proxy's, your traffic isnt encrypted.

Scabtree is offline Associate Member
    Yea, 'they' can trace your IP if need be. The problem with proxies is it still needs to go through your ISP's gateway and typically proxies are unencrypted (unless you can get an https one). I find Tor works about as good as anything and it's free, you don't even have to steel it:

https://www.torproject.org/

But still, very little is completely anonymous these days.

tcw
    YeH....i saw "tor" and it looks like another free proxy server (slow....very slow). I've also seen it demonstrated to show your IP anyway, so it defeats the purpose

Have to look into a VPN (like Swifto said)....or a paid proxy (like Self said).

I also have a instruction course on setting up an "Elite proxy Server!"

Just reading it now!

~T

*some countries are now blocking PPTP...and may not work on some VPN.

Quote Originally Posted by Scabtree View Post
    Yea, 'they' can trace your IP if need be. The problem with proxies is it still needs to go through your ISP's gateway and typically proxies are unencrypted (unless you can get an https one). I find Tor works about as good as anything and it's free, you don't even have to steel it:

https://www.torproject.org/

But still, very little is completely anonymous these days.
    Last edited by tcw; 01-15-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Scabtree is offline Associate Member
    Right, Tor is slow big time. But the good thing about it is the original data is encrypted and re-encrypted multiple times, then sent through successor Tor relays, each one of which decrypts a layer of encryption before passing the data on to the next relay and then to it's final destination.

YeH....i saw "tor" and it looks like another free proxy server (slow....very slow). I've also seen it demonstrated to show your IP anyway, so it defeats the purpose

Have to look into a VPN (like Swifto said)....or a paid proxy (like Self said).

I also have a instruction course on setting up an "Elite proxy Server!"

Just reading it now!

~T

*some countries are now blocking PPTP...and may not work on some VPN.
    VPN's are not just PPTP.

The good ones come in SSTP and L2TP as well.

I dont know what your upto and require anonymity... Most VPN's will log the connecting IP and store this information for upto 30-45 days. Which isnt good. They do not store traffic though. Some do not even store the connecting IP, others do for 2-3 days. You'll also want a VPN company that is outside your contires jurisdiction and will require a court order (subopena) to get ANY details at all from the VPN company.

My VPN does not store traffic, nor connecting IP's. Its also well out the way of my jurisdiction and will require a court order where the headquartes is located.

If you're in the USA, I suggest you use Russian, Chinese servers and Middle East servers. If the USA asked for traffic details from them, they'de tell them to f*ck off politely.

If you want to go even further, you can chain TOR-VPN-Internet, or TOR-VPN-Proxy-Internet. Pay with prepaid CC's, use throw away Blackberry's and iPhones etc... and false details, but I doubt you require that level of anonymity, many dont.

Quote Originally Posted by Scabtree View Post
    Right, Tor is slow big time. But the good thing about it is the original data is encrypted and re-encrypted multiple times, then sent through successor Tor relays, each one of which decrypts a layer of encryption before passing the data on to the next relay and then to it's final destination.
    TOR alone is not sufficient for anonymity.

Did you know the US Government created TOR?

You're telling me they dont have access to connect and exit relays? The own a lot of them.

wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    someone's window wigging

Quote Originally Posted by wmaousley View Post
    someone's window wigging
    Haha... Something like that.

tcw
    Thanks Swifto...good info!

Quote Originally Posted by Swifto View Post
    VPN's are not just PPTP.

The good ones come in SSTP and L2TP as well.

I dont know what your upto and require anonymity... Most VPN's will log the connecting IP and store this information for upto 30-45 days. Which isnt good. They do not store traffic though. Some do not even store the connecting IP, others do for 2-3 days. You'll also want a VPN company that is outside your contires jurisdiction and will require a court order (subopena) to get ANY details at all from the VPN company.

My VPN does not store traffic, nor connecting IP's. Its also well out the way of my jurisdiction and will require a court order where the headquartes is located.

If you're in the USA, I suggest you use Russian, Chinese servers and Middle East servers. If the USA asked for traffic details from them, they'de tell them to f*ck off politely.

If you want to go even further, you can chain TOR-VPN-Internet, or TOR-VPN-Proxy-Internet. Pay with prepaid CC's, use throw away Blackberry's and iPhones etc... and false details, but I doubt you require that level of anonymity, many dont.

muscleport is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swifto

TOR alone is not sufficient for anonymity.

Did you know the US Government created TOR?

You're telling me they dont have access to connect and exit relays? The own a lot of them.
    Not only thAt,
    Using tor itself may be used as an evidence against you

But tor is a relatively complete anonymous solution

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    EDIT: disregard my post - I just noticed what section this was in. I thought this was in the lounge for some reason and my answer is meaningless.
    Last edited by JohnnyVegas; 02-10-2012 at 08:17 PM.

al_capone is offline Junior Member
    Peerblock should give you some security. It blocks ALL IP traffic (meaning all udp/tcp/multicast) to and from IP's that are in the block lists which are precompiled. Peer block is basic protection, it uses a known list of ip addresses (millions) that have been linked to film studio's, music studio's, production companies, law enfor***ent agency's, the military etc.. then blocks those ip addresses from connecting to your pc. For good protection you should invest in a VPN service, this is an encrypted tunnel that all your online traffic passes through therefore hiding your activities and stopping your real ip address from getting detected.

NVP have some great cheap deals: http://nvpn.net/

Nothing is 100%. If people can make it, they can break it.

DanB is offline Banned
    vpn and tor client works for me. . . .

but i know fvckall

is there any fundermental flaws to that?

Quote Originally Posted by al_capone View Post
    Peerblock should give you some security. It blocks ALL IP traffic (meaning all udp/tcp/multicast) to and from IP's that are in the block lists which are precompiled. Peer block is basic protection, it uses a known list of ip addresses (millions) that have been linked to film studio's, music studio's, production companies, law enfor***ent agency's, the military etc.. then blocks those ip addresses from connecting to your pc. For good protection you should invest in a VPN service, this is an encrypted tunnel that all your online traffic passes through therefore hiding your activities and stopping your real ip address from getting detected.

NVP have some great cheap deals: http://nvpn.net/

Nothing is 100%. If people can make it, they can break it.
    Where is this located, Germany?

I don't see anything on their site about traffic data, nor length of connection IP.

Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    vpn and tor client works for me. . . .

but i know fvckall

is there any fundermental flaws to that?
    TOR is run by the US Government and was created for the US Navy. It also has US Government backing and there are rumours they operate a lot of the connect/exit nodes. You also need to turn off some of the other features, such as java and other auto scripts.

Just read it keeps no logs, but where is their HD or business located?

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I think its all a matter of how bad they want you and how far you are willing to go to hide your identity. Of course if you are really concerned and if you are only sending a message every now and then and want to ensure its privacy then simply buy a used computer with cash and do not use it for anything other than sending secret emails. Set up a free anonymous account with any of the so called secure email providers then use someone elses unsecured wireless network to connect to the net.

At this point other than information in the e-mail there is no way whatsoever to discern who you are.

Where is this located, Germany?

I don't see anything on their site about traffic data, nor length of connection IP.

They have several servers around the world. You can change them from your control panel.....United States, Netherlands, United Kingdom, Russia, Ukraine, Serbia, & Singapore. The company is actually located in Denver CO I believe. Also you can change your ip from the CP anytime you want I believe, dont quote me on that one though.

TOR is run by the US Government and was created for the US Navy. It also has US Government backing and there are rumours they operate a lot of the connect/exit nodes. You also need to turn off some of the other features, such as java and other auto scripts.

HAHA Tor has to be the worst idea for getting caught if your doing some elite shit. Thats the 1% though.

SWIFT: When2 we starting on that app. I see youve got that sub section up. Im game.

TraPump is offline Junior Member
    wow i feel like i'm ****ed after reading all this.

nevermind just read what vpn is, can anyone supply a list of good/reputable vpn services to go through that you recommend or use yourself please i am further researching this now.

this is what i came up with. tell me which you would recommend of these 5 choices.

hidemyass
    expressVPN
    strongVPN
    IAPS
    VyprVPN

thanks for any recommendations guys. trying to stay safe here too.
    Last edited by TraPump; 04-11-2012 at 03:53 PM.

nevermind sorry about the stupid questions. took a little time and research for myself and was able to find all the info i needed and get setup. thanks alot for this thread probly just saved my ass!

They have several servers around the world. You can change them from your control panel.....United States, Netherlands, United Kingdom, Russia, Ukraine, Serbia, & Singapore. The company is actually located in Denver CO I believe. Also you can change your ip from the CP anytime you want I believe, dont quote me on that one though.

HAHA Tor has to be the worst idea for getting caught if your doing some elite shit. Thats the 1% though.

SWIFT: When2 we starting on that app. I see youve got that sub section up. Im game.
    This is what I'm saying, DO NOT use a VPN company that is located in your jurisdiction. LE can ge raid their headquarters or servers. They can demand connecting, IP's and traffic. How do you know for sure the company does not store data? Every server stores data. Too much risk for me.

Again, use a VPN provider that is NOT in your jurisdiction or in the EU. There are plenty of them around that will tell the USA to go f*ck themselves, such as Russia, China and others.

Quote Originally Posted by TraPump View Post
    nevermind just read what vpn is, can anyone supply a list of good/reputable vpn services to go through that you recommend or use yourself please i am further researching this now.

this is what i came up with. tell me which you would recommend of these 5 choices.

hidemyass
    expressVPN
    strongVPN
    IAPS
    VyprVPN

thanks for any recommendations guys. trying to stay safe here too.
    StrongVPN is in the USA and HMA is in the UK and will give LE connecting IPs, just like it did when LulzSec hacker Cody Kretsinger (Recursion) got caught.

You have to be very careful where these VPNs are locted and what servers you use.

Good shit Swifto. Those guys were commiting many counts of 1st degree felonies btw. Im saying for your average day joe its not bad for the price....and if you're really in need of staying that far off the radar I wouldn't even take a chance from home ever even with a VPN. It'd be random local wifi connections throughout different cities, always on the move. Then again, I'm not on Cody Kretsinger's level lmao.

This is what I'm saying, DO NOT use a VPN company that is located in your jurisdiction. LE can ge raid their headquarters or servers. They can demand connecting, IP's and traffic. How do you know for sure the company does not store data? Every server stores data. Too much risk for me.

Again, use a VPN provider that is NOT in your jurisdiction or in the EU. There are plenty of them around that will tell the USA to go f*ck themselves, such as Russia, China and others.

StrongVPN is in the USA and HMA is in the UK and will give LE connecting IPs, just like it did when LulzSec hacker Cody Kretsinger (Recursion) got caught.

You have to be very careful where these VPNs are locted and what servers you use.

Good shit Swifto. Those guys were commiting many counts of 1st degree felonies btw. Im saying for your average day joe its not bad for the price....and if you're really in need of staying that far off the radar I wouldn't even take a chance from home ever even with a VPN. It'd be random local wifi connections throughout different cities, always on the move. Then again, I'm not on Cody Kretsinger's level lmao.
    Yes.

Pre-paid smartphones with fake name pre-paid CC in metro area's using WiFi, with non storing traffic and connecting VPNs in different countries routed through the smartphone. Change the phone every 4-5 weeks. I know the drill.

One slip and you're out though.

Thats for those on the run by the way or something else, simply not needed by 99% of us.

...simply not needed by 99% of us.
    HAHA that'd shit would be badass though. Al Capone status!

TWISTEDSYRINGE is offline New Member
    Hidemyass.com works perfect i believe its only like 11.00 a month dont quote me on that though. You can pick what state or country you want it to look like youre coming from very easy and user friendly. NOTE: if you use ebay or anything of that nature and are running the software to show you are from another country make sure you shut it down because ebay will pick up that you are using an american account from a differenet country and freeze your account and its a pain to reactivate.

Darkcast is offline New Member
    I don't believe in their services since they log user info. A cheap way to go is using TOR or tail live cd.

Quote Originally Posted by TWISTEDSYRINGE View Post
    Hidemyass.com works perfect i believe its only like 11.00 a month dont quote me on that though. You can pick what state or country you want it to look like youre coming from very easy and user friendly. NOTE: if you use ebay or anything of that nature and are running the software to show you are from another country make sure you shut it down because ebay will pick up that you are using an american account from a differenet country and freeze your account and its a pain to reactivate.
    HIDEMYASS.COM is bullshit, they are not "anonymous". UK based company.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/techn...ide-him/42895/

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcast View Post
    I don't believe in their services since they log user info. A cheap way to go is using TOR or tail live cd.
    HMA log for 30 days, connecting IP's and knowing that bullshit company, log traffic too. TOR is good with java switched off etc...

Some VPN's do not log, nor connecting IPs and if they do, they hold them for a number of hours or days.

tcw
    yep...might as well use a tor browser.

HIDEMYASS.COM is bullshit, they are not "anonymous". UK based company.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/techn...ide-him/42895/

HMA log for 30 days, connecting IP's and knowing that bullshit company, log traffic too. TOR is good with java switched off etc...

Some VPN's do not log, nor connecting IPs and if they do, they hold them for a number of hours or days.

brocato is offline New Member
    does anybody know how to track an IP address to a specific location? or know of any hackers/ computer geeks who can get it done?

DanB is offline Banned

brocato is offline New Member
    DanB, I dunno if your comment was towards my post, but just to be clear I am asking to help a friend out. he is being harassed by someone through email, towards his personal relationship with his wife as well as his job through his co-workers. the only piece of clue he has on them is the IP address the email was sent from. Just trying to help a brother out, before he loses it.

Riptorn is offline Associate Member
    Try proxify.com

Quote Originally Posted by brocato View Post
    DanB, I dunno if your comment was towards my post, but just to be clear I am asking to help a friend out. he is being harassed by someone through email, towards his personal relationship with his wife as well as his job through his co-workers. the only piece of clue he has on them is the IP address the email was sent from. Just trying to help a brother out, before he loses it.
    You can track it to a location, but not owner, house name/number or street. Sometimes street but very rare, they have to be near the exchange or box.

http://whatismyipaddress.com/

Only people that can get the name/contact info. are law enforcement or hackers that have access to the server.

laser is offline Junior Member

Address

Is is possible to track your IP address?

I was looking at this site..and it looks like you can.

Can you circumvent this situation with a Dynamic IP?

How to Find Someone Through Their IP Address | eHow
    I notice some replies, saying it is illegal to track an IP. No it is not Illegal, and most good anti-virus software will have tracking built in as a reporting tool, to report/log hacking attempts, and even allow you to report the address to your anti-virus company to help further deploy tools to protect the user.

You, are wrong about the Dyn IP, it is no guarantee. Every device in your system has an address, even virtual devices, firewalls, flash drives, dvd, hard drives, etc, etc, etc. Even software.
    Your best bet is to run a fully virtual machine. Plus it would be super fast, and allow you to easily know if a stowaway is on board. You could take some average computer, as long as you have plenty of memory, and make it look like you are running a super system that has a footprint of 4 city blocks.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information