Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BIGPHIL is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doby48
    Interesting read, but keep in mind that these are not anabolic steroids. Each group of steroids will have a different impact as to how it affects your blood sugar. The medications in this article include conditions such as asthma and bronchitis, not saying that they are steroids but this is along the same lines as ephedrine as that is one of the key ingrediants used in treating those conditions, and as you already know from experience ephedrine (ephedra) can raise your blood sugar levels. There are different classes of medications that are classified as as "steroids" and each will impact your glucose levels different so be sure you are reading about the correct type before trying any out.

GOOD POINT NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THAT.....anyways thanks alot for all the halp ill contact you via pm if i have any more...thankssss and i will be on touch with you when i get my hands on clenbutoral and let you know how i got on
    Last edited by BIGPHIL; 01-08-2006 at 05:23 AM.

Flexor is offline Banned
    This is a great thread right here, I didn't know it existed until now. I have a mate that is diabetic and is having trouble knowing what to do for an exercise type diet. I'll give him this info and it should help him out a lot. Nice post doby, it may be old, but its a gem

doby48 is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    This is a great thread right here, I didn't know it existed until now. I have a mate that is diabetic and is having trouble knowing what to do for an exercise type diet. I'll give him this info and it should help him out a lot. Nice post doby, it may be old, but its a gem
    Thanks, and if your friend has any additional questions you can either post them here or you can PM me with specific questions and I'll be glad to help out.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

Yellowknifer is offline Junior Member
    Hey I am also a diabetic. Type 1. I've had it since I was 9 years old (24 now). Anyway I have pretty good control but I am definitely not in as good shape as I should be in. My BF is probably over 20%. Not good. I have a nice frame, but anyway, I am trying to get back into it. I used to be closer to 13% BF. I was wondering how much insulin you guys/gals take in a day and what kind. Do you find that if you're dedicated you can rely on long acting insulin to cover your spikes a bit more? If you keep out the simple carbs does that help lessen the amount of short acting that you take? I am on Humalog and Lantus (which is super long acting, very flat, not many peaks in the curve, kinda nice, has helped me with my bloodsugars which are probably a little high being around 7 most of the time, but they have come down since I started exercising more regularly).

Anyway just curious!

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknifer
    Hey I am also a diabetic. Type 1. I've had it since I was 9 years old (24 now). Anyway I have pretty good control but I am definitely not in as good shape as I should be in. My BF is probably over 20%. Not good. I have a nice frame, but anyway, I am trying to get back into it. I used to be closer to 13% BF. I was wondering how much insulin you guys/gals take in a day and what kind. Do you find that if you're dedicated you can rely on long acting insulin to cover your spikes a bit more? If you keep out the simple carbs does that help lessen the amount of short acting that you take? I am on Humalog and Lantus (which is super long acting, very flat, not many peaks in the curve, kinda nice, has helped me with my bloodsugars which are probably a little high being around 7 most of the time, but they have come down since I started exercising more regularly).

Anyway just curious!

I use Novorapid(short acting) and lantus(long acting)...They say that diabetics should eat 6times a day:-
    Breakfast,mid-morning snack,Lunch,afternoon snack,tea,bed time snack.
    This is meant to keep blood sugars steady throughout the day and prevent any crashes in sugar that may occur between each large meal(breakfast,lunch,tea e.t.c)
    I follow this however i eat more than 6 meals a day i eat around 8 meals a day now.All of which i inject for.Yet the amount i inject for each of these 8 meals is small amounts of insulin:-
    Breakfast(meal1):-20I.U's(1oog oats, 10 egg whites, linseed seeds)

Mid-morning snack(meal2):-6I.U'S(rice cakes,chicken e,t,c)

Lunch(meal3):-6I.U's(pasta chicken e.t.c)

Postworkout (meal4):-10I.U's (protein shake with dextrose)

POSTworkout (meal5):-Dont inject (usually full of potatoes chicken veg.)

Tea (Meal 6):-4I.U's (100g cottage cheese,8egg whites,sweet potato)

Bed time snack(Meal 7):-20g peanut butter and 100g chicken

Im on 20 I.U'S Lantus

I try to eat every two to three hours (always keep a fresh supply of aminos and carbs in the blood for recovery)and i make sure my insulin is TIGHT and that i dont inject to much, if i do then this results in me eating things that i dont want(sweets,cake,choc e.t.c)THIS PUTS ON THE WEIGHT!!!! Also try not to combine fat with carbs like say fish and chips.As you inject the pathway to the muscles is opened up and fat shoots straight across..So say if you go out for dinner and the choices are reallly unhealthy,,Have nothing but protein and fat..So for example in Britain here we have "the chippy" if i was eating from there i would have just a fish.I dont need to inject and as a result considerably less fat is carried across.

As you see i begin to cut carbs after meal 6 this is due to the fact that i do AM cardio in the mornig on an empty stomach for 45 min (that burns the fat ) so basically try and base all your carbs around the time of your workout, that is before and slightly after,,make sure to get in a good solid meal after your workout shake.I find i dont need to inject for this because my metabolism is bruning full steam..

As far as using your lantus to cover spikes im not to sure i only use it at night. I know its meant to keep blood sugars stable when fast acting insulin is not present.In other words if i didnt take it at night my blood sugars would be thorugh the roof in the morning..So maybe you could take it throught the day as well so inject it at night and during the day.Yet you would not consume any simple sugars at all unless necessary..Its wortha try never thought about it..However remember the more insulin you take the more glycogen you have which leads to greater recovery from weight training,the less glycogen the slower you will recover yet also with less glycogen your more likely to start cutiing into fat.I would try it and watch your blood..As far as highs and lows are concerned, i wouldnt regard7 as high i would regard high as anything above 10, anything below is fine. i like goin to bed with a blood sugar of 8 or so,,and when i do 45 min cardio in the morning it usually is 7 before and drops to 5 or so and thats without taking anything to work..But the most important thing i feel with diabetis and bodybuliding is keeping it tight and lot having slip ups

Its all about finding what works best for you!!!!
    Last edited by BIGPHIL; 01-30-2006 at 05:38 AM.

Anyway just curious!
    Hey there Yellowknifer, sorry I haven't responded sooner I was out of the country for a little over a week. Anyways, I normally will eat every 2-3 hours and I do mix carbs and fats to an extent. I will eat fats with some good comlex carbs such as multi-grain bread (not white bread) or brown rice (not white rice) and so on. This helps me to keep my blood sugars in check, if I were to eat just fat meals without the carbs then I start to notice my blood sugars changing and the need for more insulin. I don't like to inject more short acting than I absolutely have to and keep my diet as strict as possible to avoid extra injections. I find that the more I inject to correct my levels, the more I have to inject if that make sense... basically its like you inject to correct something thats already wrong with you but without getting your diet straigtened out you end up injecting more just to keep yourself level.

I take Lantus (long acting) and Humalog (short acting) and I do find that with a good diet mixing the types of carbs listed with the fat meals I can get by with less Humalog. Such as in my sample diet of tuna on whole wheat bread, you get the fats in the tuna but the carbs from the bread. Fish with brown rice will accomplish the same thing providing both fat and carbs in the same meal. Just make sure you are having good carbs and keep in mind that when people on these forums say not to mix fat and carbs... they aren't diabetic

I watch the simple sugars closely which really does allows me to limit the frequency I need to take the short acting insulin.

Yellowknifer is offline Junior Member
    For the diabetics who are interested in taking Clen , in a word: I wouldn't recommend it.

I started my cycle yesterday and my bloodsugar hasn't been lower than 14 mmol/L which is way way outside my normal range. It has an insulin blocking effect. It clearly is a dangerous drug for diabetics. I have more than doubled my dosages of insulin trying to get them under control and nothing seems to work. It's a dangerous drug for diabetics to be taking imo. But maybe there is some kind of synergistic drug that can be taken with it to allow insulin to remain effective, I do not know. I am very curious as to how non diabetics react to it, but since I doubt most of them test their blood sugars regularly we may not really find out anytime soon. I am going to stop taking it immediately.

For the diabetics who are interested in taking Clen , in a word: I wouldn't recommend it.

I started my cycle yesterday and my bloodsugar hasn't been lower than 14 mmol/L which is way way outside my normal range. It has an insulin blocking effect. It clearly is a dangerous drug for diabetics. I have more than doubled my dosages of insulin trying to get them under control and nothing seems to work. It's a dangerous drug for diabetics to be taking imo. But maybe there is some kind of synergistic drug that can be taken with it to allow insulin to remain effective, I do not know. I am very curious as to how non diabetics react to it, but since I doubt most of them test their blood sugars regularly we may not really find out anytime soon. I am going to stop taking it immediately.

Thats weid I only got insulin resistance when i my doses of clen were high X10 NIHFI 0.02mcg tabs..This was in the morning only after AM cardio (and i always have insuilin resistance in the morning no matter what,resistance from clen was only up 6 points or so) however at night when i was cutting my carbs and relying on pro/carb meals my resistaance was minimum and clen infactsometimes lowered my sugars...
    Yet again another example of how people are affected differently by drugs...Any other drugs you take that you get resistance from???

oldnoob is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknifer View Post

do use the glucometer to constantly monitor your blood sugar at least 6 times a day while on a cycle dude. cause usually while on juices etc, diabetics blood sugar tend to go way out of control. my cousin is diabetic (his my training partner too), during his cycle of test E at 500mg/week his glucose lvl was way out of control even when he tripled his dosage (he uses mixtard 70/30) n it did little help . mos of the time see him suffering from lethargy, freq urination, dry lips etc~~ under the advise of his doctor , he ceased his cycle after 2 weeks n thus then he begin to recover

sharonbaker is offline New Member
    Very nice what you have shared that Diabetic Sample Diet. It was really very useful form me. Thanks for this efforts.

allen47 is offline Banned
    This should be your program every meal.

Kesyoperrot is offline New Member

Diabetic Sample Diet

Hi all,

My Pa was recently in hospital and there was a man there that had beta major who was advised to eat a high protein diet.
    I have beta minor but still get the extreme tiredness/lethargy, quick muscle fatigue at any form of exercise. I can sleep for 10 hours and wake up tired.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this high protein diet and whether it helps with the fatigue?

Godson79 is offline New Member
    wow lots of great info on here
    ive used clen before and im a type 1 diabetic and it made it so my novarapid wouldnt work properly i had to just keep wacking it until it came down, i was up over 25 , i wouldnt recommend clenfor ppl with diabeties just from my own experiance.
    ive also use sus250 and decca,primo , my appitie increased alot so my insulin did aswel but it didnt seem to jump of the charts.
    i also find optimal level for training is at around 6 but the trick is to eat a hour before training and then get ur blood level to 6 and maintain the level 6 for that hour.
    works for me i seem to be able to really push those weights

micheljohn331 is offline New Member
    Diabetic sample diet should be full of vitamin and protein.but less carbohydrates and callories on it.when human body face a diabetes problem.glucose level increase in a body.medication is the only way to prevent from diabetes.

Quote Originally Posted by micheljohn331 View Post
    Diabetic sample diet should be full of vitamin and protein.but less carbohydrates and callories on it.when human body face a diabetes problem.glucose level increase in a body.medication is the only way to prevent from diabetes.
    Medication is not the way to prevent diabetes, though it is sometimes (not always) the way to manage diabetes. Diet is key, first and foremost. My guess is that you are not a diabetic as anyone with diabetes learns after a while that the "textbook" diet is usually a bit flawed though it does give people a good first start on how to handle their diabetes there are many modifications to it and individuals vary. The textbook diabetic diet which is close to what you listed in your one line above is a daily intake for a non active person, when you are active your blood sugar levels vary like any other person and often the carbs still need to be increased due to the drop during heavy physical activity and other factors for making the most of your workout. There is no tried and true one size fits all diet for everyone with diabetes the best we can due is share our experiences with others to learn from as the classes or individual nutritionist we all visited after being diagnosed, gave information some incorrect information and a lot of information not tailored to activity which is what this forum is geared towards.

Makhshev is offline New Member
    Doby48, great and informative post. I am a type 1 and have been going down the path of trying to balance it all out. What is your plane per-workout to ensure you don't drop during exercise? That is usually what I have a problem with.

Quote Originally Posted by Makhshev View Post
    Doby48, great and informative post. I am a type 1 and have been going down the path of trying to balance it all out. What is your plane per-workout to ensure you don't drop during exercise? That is usually what I have a problem with.
    Balancing out your blood sugar levels with physical activity is probably the most difficult thing that I found. More so than even learning the normal daily intakes which is a lot of information. What I would suggest if you arent yet doing so is...

1) Dont take your insulin shortly before a workout.
    2) Start up your diary again and test immediately before and after your workout
    3) If your sugars are dropping low during a workout, take some carbs before hand, fruits are good such as a banana. See how your sugars are then after and go from there. You can tailor with different fruits as needed depending on your results.

Good luck and if you have more questions let me know either on this forum post or feel free to send me a PM as well.

thanks for the resource Doby! I took 90 grams of carbs in the form of steal cut oats with 2 units os slin 1.5 hours before working out and still dropped during exercise. So what I think I am going to do is try lowering my basal by 50% 1 hour before workout on my pump and eat a banana (like u said) before workout an see what happens. I keep a log by using my CGM. I will keep a close eye and see what happens tomorrow. Thanks!
    great to talk to other type 1s regArding their methods!

any suggestions on AAS cycles? any examples you suggest and how u deal with them with your T1D?

As this is a post about nutrition I'd suggest you post in the correct category for AAS suggestions. I do have a male friend thats a Type 1 and has done a few cycles, though it takes a bit of time due to the insulin levels. I know the feedback I received from him was that his first cycle, he didn't notice the same impact as non-diabetics as he was spending a great deal of time easing into it and ensuring that his blood sugar levels were not too far outta whack.

dang, forgot about this being nutrition. will make the thread in the appropriate area. thanks for your help!

mianna is offline New Member
    diabetic patients have to take many precautions and always they have to be safe .. on a safe side... many things they have to forgot and a planned lifestyle is the only thing that can save them from problems..

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    bumping this for the new guy, hope you find it

THE HOGG is offline Junior Member
    I found it, thank you. Although alot of this is WAY over my head. I only inject victoza once a day to control my sugars. My A1C has been great according to the doctor so I have only been testing my blood first thing in the mornings. I am going to start testing it more and try to do it every couple of hours. I have been reading as much as I can here but honestly soo much of this is new to me that I am lost. Is there a diet for dummies sticky? :-) When I first became diabetic about 4 years ago the Dr told me to cut out carbs all together. To quote him " if its white or sweet spit it out, it dont belong in your mouth" so I have done my best to avoid them altogether. Reading here seems like I should be eating them so I am confused. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me if thats the proper or preferred method.

bubba136 is offline New Member
    nice post. Really helps me a lot with my diabetes. thumbs up

venom_quad is offline New Member
    Good reading, I actually have a friend with diabetes that would be interested in all this.

xjay1234 is offline Associate Member
    Also not to mention swapping white foods for whole-wheat foods.

(I did that LONG ago)

Also eat Karela - that lowers sugar levels dramatically.

I really have to watch what I eat now more then ever

psyBorg is offline Female Member
    Hey everyone I just wanted to chime in on this one.

A high protein diet is not the most healthy one around.

A high protein diet is the same thing as a high carb diet. Why? because your body converts any excess protein from your diet into glucose. The process is called gluconeogenesis. This means that even if you replace all the carbs in your diet with protein you might still have "carb issues".

IMO, there are only 2 acceptable ways to eat for metabolic syndromes such as diabetes. The first one is the most commonly prescribed low GI diet. You still eat carbs, but only those that has slow release of sugar into the blood stream (low glycemic index). I'm thinking high protein diets such as the one in this thread is probably a low GI diet, but I'm not 100% sure if gluconeogenesis occurs slowly, or fast enough to spike blood glucose level.

The other right way to eat for metabolic syndromes would be the much controversial high fat diet. In this one you would eat moderate protein (any excess intake "becomes" carb), limited or no carbs at all, and high fat. Your body would use ketone bodies instead of glucose, so there would be no glucose spikes. A common misconception is that ketogenic diet catabolise muscle tissue. The truth is the opposite: if you eat enough fat, and low enough protein and carbs, your body actually spares muscle tissue.

Just so you all can get an idea, when I eat a shit ton of saturated fat and below 25g total carbs a day, my blood glucose rarely ever exceed 4.0 mmol.

I'm not saying the diet on this thread wouldn't work, but I know for a fact that in ANY diet, eating too much protein is bad for your body. Also if you eat protein too frequently (like, every 2-3 hours or so) you will become insensitive to it for a while. Obviously if your goal is to grow you better be sensitive to protein.

Not urging anyone to go for a high fat diet, just presenting another option for ppl with diabetes that I personally found makes much sense.

psyBorg is offline Female Member
    Also, there is absolutely no reason for a diabetic to avoid fat intake.
    Doctors tell you that so you avoid overall energy intake, because they think you will get heart disease if you become fat. We now know that the cause effect realtionship is all wrong here, and all, but anyways... my point is, someone with diabetes can eat fat just like anyone else (40% of total energy intake). Low-carb AND low-fat diet is just low-energy diet. As long as the blood glucose level and caloric intake are under control diabetics don't get fat.
    No point in reducing fat intake, if not detrimental...

TommyBigBoy7 is offline Junior Member
    Has any t1 diabetics out there tried a high fat low carb keto diet?
    I tried this & it was best my Bg levels have ever been!
    Some may say producing ketones is bad for diabetics but that is only if Bg is high then it is keto acidosis NOT ketosis.

Going into ketosis with good Bg is healthy & good for fat burning

JennyHaskins is offline New Member
    Good job......

papersteroidguy is offline New Member
    Diabetic sample diet consist of vitamins and protein.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information