map200uk is offline Anabolic Member

dextrose during or before, hmm

i was just reading some site that was mentioning the use of dextrose pre workout / during workout,

i just wondered how beneficial either of these would be? as i understood we need to put it simply, complex carbs i.e. oats pre workout and dextrose post

but dextrose during workout, could possibly help? i just wondered if anyone had tried this or had any views

just curious

ta

eggplant is offline Member
    personally,...i don't see a need for me to take it during workout..i would rather pay more attention to the weights..and hit the dex after i finish them..my 2cents

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Dex before or during working out is a very bad idea.

~SC~

doby48 is offline Female Member
    I know dextrose is often consumed by certain types of athletes before and during activity to help keep the energy levels up and to aid in sprint sessions. For example, when riding a race many cyclists will carb up 24 hours prior and intake dextrose before the race to give that initial energy boost and will often keep packets or flasks of some type of dextrose to take when they need that extra burst of energy (before climbs, final sprints, before making a big move etc.) Maybe the article you had read was referring to athletes of that nature not bodybuilders or the average joe just getting into shape.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

monstercojones is offline The Anabolic Assassin
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Dex before or during working out is a very bad idea.

~SC~
    would you mind expanding on that? i plan on listening to your advice either way, i'm just curious as to the technical reasons why dex is so bad pre/during workout.

Quote Originally Posted by monstercojones
    would you mind expanding on that? i plan on listening to your advice either way, i'm just curious as to the technical reasons why dex is so bad pre/during workout.
    Well, aside from what Doby offered, and she is entirely correct, those looking to use it for bodybuilding/fitness/"looking better", would want to consume all of this product post-workout to benefit from the insulin spike and increased uptake of nutrients/glycogen storage. Consuming it pre or during a workout, only serves to give a pre-mature slin spike, so later on your increased uptake is pretty sh*tty actually. In addition, the rise in blood sugar by ingestion of dextrose before/during weight training, can lead to fatigue and a groggy/dragging feeling. Not good any-way you slice it. Water is all you need during a workout, all of the eating is done before that and after.

~SC~

well explained Mr swoley..! =p

cb25 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Well, aside from what Doby offered, and she is entirely correct, those looking to use it for bodybuilding/fitness/"looking better", would want to consume all of this product post-workout to benefit from the insulin spike and increased uptake of nutrients/glycogen storage. Consuming it pre or during a workout, only serves to give a pre-mature slin spike, so later on your increased uptake is pretty sh*tty actually. In addition, the rise in blood sugar by ingestion of dextrose before/during weight training, can lead to fatigue and a groggy/dragging feeling. Not good any-way you slice it. Water is all you need during a workout, all of the eating is done before that and after.

~SC~
    well said.

to add - the reason you've heard of people ingesting dex during a workout is more to extend endurance - it's the idea behind gatorade and related drinks - that you replenish your electrolytes and give yourself some extra, simple carbs for your body to burn, in order to increase your endurance...

however, most of us here aren't concerned with endurance or sport performance...we're looking for bodybuilding - in which case dex during or pre-workout is a pretty bad idea...as swole has already stated...

DirtyDog is offline New Member
    A few days ago I tried taking a large amount of dextrose before my leg workout and it did just as Swole Cat said, made feel groggy and sh1tty as hell. I couldn't lift sh1t that session and was like a zombie in the gym.

Dextrose within 5 minutes of finishing a workout helps boost recovery massively. Not so good if your cutting i wouldn't imagine as it replaces lost glycogen in the blood really quickly and it therefore wont be replaced using your fat reserves.

"Not so good if your cutting i wouldn't imagine as it replaces lost glycogen in the blood really quickly and it therefore wont be replaced using your fat reserves."

i don't understand what you meant right here..erm..more elaboration? anyway..i've used dex while cutting..

Quote Originally Posted by eggplant
    "Not so good if your cutting i wouldn't imagine as it replaces lost glycogen in the blood really quickly and it therefore wont be replaced using your fat reserves."

i don't understand what you meant right here..erm..more elaboration? anyway..i've used dex while cutting..

Who did u quote? That quote doesn't even make sense.

~SC~

DirtyDog is offline New Member
    He was quoting me.

There was a study done by Cambridge university England on 10,000 people that concluded that a drink of simple carbohydrates (i.e. dextrose) within 5 minutes of finishing exercise increases your bodies recovery. Meaning that after you have exercised you will most probably have exhausted your bloods glycogen level so to recover as quickly as possible drink carbs, the best being simple carbs because they are absorbed quicker.

What I was saying about the cutting was that I dont think this would be a good idea to do if your on a cutting cycle as when you finish your exercise your blood glycogen level is decreased and your body wants to replenish it. If you dont take in a simple carb drink your body has no choice but to use your fat reserves to replace the glycogen hence you would cut more.

I may be wrong but as far as I was concerned when a body builder cuts, they reduce their calorie intake to burn more fat to get leaner yeah? I dont actually cut myself as im a calorie burning machine and just thinking about exercise makes me lose weight!

If you think what I have said is wrong in any way then please say so. Im not claiming to be an expert im just passing on what I have read.

hey there..erm..IMHO, i think that carbs after workouts are a must...you are looking to replenish glycogen..and this has to be accomplished using carbs that are high in GI index..which means you would want to have an insulin spike here..and apart from glycogen recompensation..the simple carbs(dex/malto etc) will help transport the protein into your depleted muscles asap..i'm assuming you are taking at least some whey down there ..and the study said about using fat reserves to replace glycogen? well...fat and protein does have some glycogen recomp effect..i'm talking just a tiny bit..haha..i suppose so ..if i'm wrong please correct me..but..they do not have the effect carbs produce...it doesn't matter really matter if you cut calories to get cut up or not..what matters most is what kind of calories you are eating,when,and with what..(influenced by mr swoley..hehe)..so all in all..i would still want my carbs after workout..peace!

Thread Information