TheChosenOne is offline Anabolic Member

Does Fat Slow Protein Absorption?

I have always been one to adhere to this philosophy however I was discussing this idea with a highly recognized Dr/dietition and he was not confident as to whether or not this theory holds weight. He did not entirely dismiss this idea, but has never seen of such reports (he does run a highly recognized nutritional database online).
    Does anyone have studies or data that would verify the claim we all seem to agree upon? I dont want you to reply with "well I been doing this for 4yrs and I put on 100lbs with it" or "It is common knowledge that fat slows down its absorption rate because everyone on AR says so." Your personal experience doesnt really fly because their are too many variables in the equation. Swole and some of you other PT's and Dietitions may have something that would lend a helping hand here.

brian11 is offline Member
    whats up bro,
    i had the same problem when people would question the theories that i learned here. so you know what i did? researched online. google is your friend. seriously if you spend the time you will find it in numerous places. unfortunately i didnt save any of the sites and im not gonna redo the research for you, but i promise you it is out there, all you gotta do is look.

eggplant is offline Member
    Bumping it~

longhornDr is offline Member
    Gastric emptying is inversely proportional to the energy content of a meal. Thus fat, being an extremely energy dense substance, will slow down the rate of gastric emptying.

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by longhornDr
    Gastric emptying is inversely proportional to the energy content of a meal. Thus fat, being an extremely energy dense substance, will slow down the rate of gastric emptying.

What he said

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Can't argue with that. It's physio"logic"al.

Get it? Get it?

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    Can't argue with that. It's physio"logic"al.

Get it? Get it?

I get it Rambo...

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame

Ditto!

~SC~

TheChosenOne is offline Anabolic Member
    I may sound stupid but what exactly does gastric emptying have to do with the rate at which our bodies convert the energy from PRO, CHO, FAT? Maybe I need it put in stupid people terms to better grasp that concept.

longhornDr is offline Member
    Gastric emptying reduced > rate of presentation to small intestine reduced > overall rate of digestion and absorption is reduced.

Gastric emptying is the rate limiting step of absorption of a protein shake. If you slow that down you slow down every step down stream.

Thread Information