$uperman is offline Member

diabetic diet / need help

hey fellas.... my uncle is a diabetic and im trying to put a good meal plan together for him. he's working out w/ me to get back in shape too. so if any of you could help id appriecate it.. thanx

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Be careful

$uperman,
    Be careful bro. I have had this very question asked of me in the past. Diabetic type of reciepes can not neccessarilly be ingested by all diabetics as there are varying degrees on this disorder to be taken into consideration. A good start first would be to talk to your uncles doctor and ask him to advise on what kind of diet can or can not be eaten.. After you have a few more specifics you may get a little "safer" response from other memebers. Of course everyones response will be with the best intentions, I'm just not sure that any type of diet or "Meal plan" will do in this type of medical situtation.
    IC

thanx tobey....ill look into that bro. thats alotta help

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Re: diabetic diet / need help

Originally posted by $uperman
    hey fellas.... my uncle is a diabetic and im trying to put a good meal plan together for him. he's working out w/ me to get back in shape too. so if any of you could help id appriecate it.. thanx
    Sounds like an ideal situation. When my mother was diagnosed with diabetes a few years back, my dad and I hooked into the diabetes education program at one of our local hospitals. At the time, they also had a mini-trip to a local supermarket where they pointed out good-versus-bad foods. These programs are often free, and the education programs are usually covered by insurance (even HMO's and PPO's).

One thing you did not mention - is your uncle a shooter? (That is, is he on insulin , or just on oral meds?) That can make a differenc to some degree in terms of how much he can cheat (and yes, everybody with diabetes cheats, which is perfectly okay and usually factored into a program by physicians and dieticians, if you control your cheating).

Incidentally, $upe (may I call you $upe? ), learning about this kind of stuff will also do you a lot of good. At 6' and 220 lbs., you are prone to diabetes because of your family history. It probably won't happen today or next week, or even next year, but it is a stronger possibility a few years down the road. Moreover, the kind of learning you do will contribute to overall healthy eating for you now as well as in the future.

(I learned about diabetic diets when my mom was diagnosed. Then I learned about heart-healthy cooking for my dad. Learning about both types of diets helped me get into healthier foods myself.)

Finally, listen carefully to Tobey's advice - it's very sound. Everyone is an individual, and your uncle's dietary needs should be considerd in light of any other medical conditions. Ditto his workout routine, although there is universal agreement that any exercise is better than none at all, and that exercise will help lower glucose levels.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    $uperman I,m doing a load of research on this subject and the whole area of diabetes.Once I workout what I want to write i will post it - so I hope it will help a bit I guess it will be a week or so

bty
    bty is offline New Member
    Is he type 1 or type 2 (aka child or adult onset [althought not called that anymore as its not true])? I think Tobeys advice of talking to his doctor to get some general guidelines is best.

you guys have been alot of help so far... thanx. TNT , no he doesnt have to shoot or take any orals. not yet anywayz... just has to stick to a good meal plan

maxthecat is offline Female Member

Diabetic

My mother n law is a diabetic and she takes insulin . I'm on a low carb diet, actually what I do is I don't mix my carbs with my proteins and fats. But anyways when she comes for dinner that's the only time she doesn't have to do her insulin shots. sugar is normal, (go figure) I have known others to do the same thing. Plus I have lost 35 lbs eating like this. By the way my mother n law is such a hound for bad food. I won't let her eat like that when she comes over. maxthecat
    know your friends well, but know your enemies better

Thread Information