Thread: Maltodextrin

xenithon is offline Member

Maltodextrin

I just want to confirm if Maltodextrin is the best postworkout carb (due to it being a complex polymer but with a very high GI rating of 105, I think). true or false ?

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    true it's very good, as is dextrose.

xenithon is offline Member
    hi there,

i was doing some research, and isnt dextrose just another name for pure glucose. i'm sure its good due to the high GI but itsnt it bad due to it being a simple sugar, whereas maltodextrin is a complex carb?

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    maltodextrin is coplex with very high GI index, and dextrose has about same GI index, but is consider simple carb. Quite franky i have never been able to tell much difference, both are good in post workout shake to get glucose levels back.

superbeast is offline Member
    Maltodextrin is actually an entire class of complex carbs. There is what they call a DE rating, dextrose equivalent. The higher the DE number, the more the maltodextrin behaves like dextrose and the higher the GI rating. I use Parillo Pro-Carb. It's DE rating is in the 15-25 range, thus a low GI rating. I use it anytime, not just post workout. This information was given directly to me from John Parillo, for those of you who know who he is.

Thread Information