xenithon is offline Member

Help making postworkout drink???

Hey guys,

I need some urgent help/advice on making a postworkout drink. I used to take myoplex but here in my country is too f****ng expensive now, so I have to leave it out.

I am trying to get 40-50g good protein and around 30g carbs (those needed especially after workouts). I am not including all extra supplements thrown in like creatine or glutamine, just the pure nutritional parts (carbs fat protein)

I currently have it like this: (measurements = amount of protein/carb/fat, not amount of powder
    25g pure protein combination eg. HDT problend 55
    25g whey protein
    this gives me 50g pure protein
    normally 5g flax oil
    now i want the carbs and this is where i am stuck. I cannot find maltodextrin here, and I know that its brilliant postworkout. is it maybe sold under a different name??

so what do i do for carbs? normally i have about 15g from grapes (high GI) and 15g from honey, but I would much prefer something like maltodextrin or another substance/powder i could throw in the shake. Any suggestions?? (I am all in all trying to get a balanced meal such as what I was getting from myoplex)

Thanks all!

Is this by any chance a good powder to add as a carb source?? Please keep in mind I am working lowish carcs (around 150g/day max) so I want make sure I am getting a good postworkout carb source and that its not too sugar-full. So will this be good to add tot he protein when on low carb diet?

http://www.fastfuel.co.za/nutrition.html

FromFleshtoSteel is offline Associate Member
    you need to take in more carbs than protein right after a workout. if you take more protein than carbs you will start producing a substance called glucagon, which is basically the opposite of what you want to do(replenish your muscle glycogen stores). so take your carbs, a sports drink is great, and then eat your protein a little later......30-60 mins

okay, i will try, normally I would lets say have my carb drink at gym right after workout, then after I get home and all I have my protein drink, around 20-30 mins later, then a meal about 1hr after. my main question is, what carbs?? as mentioned I am trying to get a myoplex replacement. if I split carbs and protein, protein is easy to get, but I dont know which carbs

FromFleshtoSteel is offline Associate Member
    simple sugars right after a workout because they are most easily broken down and converted into glycogen, like the sugar in juice or a sports drink

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

I agree

It takes about three days for glycogen-starved muscles to fully replenish themselves. And since the body can only absorb a certain amount at any one time, you need to ingest your carbohydrates in a number of small meals rather than in a few large ones to give your body time to convert it into glycogen in the muscles.
    This is just a note that even after a workout, carbs should be taken in in moderation. I would recommend a good protien shake myself. I have several homemade protien shakes that I am going to list in the reciepe section if you care to take a look.
    IC

Iwan2bsolid2 is offline Senior Member
    use a carbohydrate source such as dextrose or maltodextrin, dextrose being #1. You want something that diegest fast and that is high on the GI index. Twinlab makes a postworkout carb mix called Hydrafuel, it's what I use.

Woohoo! i finally managed to track down a company that sells pure maltodextrin (what a bloody hassle!) so here's how it's looking, anything else needed?

25g whey protein
    25g protein blend (casein, egg, soy etc.)
    35g maltodextrin + 15g dextrose (or I t hough maybe just 50g maltodextrin, which would be better?)
    5g flax oil
    5-10g glutamine

ps. just one question - i heard that complex carbs with high GI are good postworkout, does this mean that if a shake is not accessible for some reason, things like rice cakes/white bread or good?

steel10 is offline Junior Member
    The drink looks good, but I would eliminate the flax oil. You should try to keep your fat intake as low as possible in the hours following your workout. If you want to know why, let me know and I will post the reasoning-- but right now I gotta drop a deuce!

Iwan2bsolid2 is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by steel10
    The drink looks good, but I would eliminate the flax oil. You should try to keep your fat intake as low as possible in the hours following your workout. If you want to know why, let me know and I will post the reasoning-- but right now I gotta drop a deuce!
    Yup. Drop the flax, but everything else looks good. I wouldn't worry too much about the Maltodextrin and dextrose, just do whatever's easier.

SOLID

thanks for the info guys! steel - i take your word for it but just to ask, is it cause directly postworkout u want very quick acting carbs + why protein and fat slows down absorption dramatically? (i think i read that somewhere) and also prevents the carbs having their full effect on blood sugar levels = lower glycogen replensishment

xzoomzx is offline Associate Member
    Hey read my post about shakes i do this for a living......a good myoplex supplement is 2 scoops of optinum 100 percent whey powder...half a bananna,1/2 a teaspoon of coca powder,teaspoon sweetener,1 tablespoon bcaa powder,crushed ice and malodextrin and i mix it up in a blender for about a minute and everyone loves it and i got myself the nikname protein master if this is not good tell me what u like and ill make you a different one.....this is one of my top sellers its called.....Choco-bannana supreme

i have a feeling u gonna have a LOT of questions coming your way

if possible, can u take one of your menus and post it in the recipes section?

i have like 50 shakes man lol........ill post some top sellers....just ask me which powder you like and tell you some killer ones

like i said if u can, a recipe for postworkout drink for someone on low to moderate carbs. check higher up this thread to see what we have come up with so far and let us know what u would suggest

Originally posted by xzoomzx
    Hey read my post about shakes i do this for a living......a good myoplex supplement is 2 scoops of optinum 100 percent whey powder...half a bananna,1/2 a teaspoon of coca powder,teaspoon sweetener,1 tablespoon bcaa powder,crushed ice and malodextrin and i mix it up in a blender for about a minute and everyone loves it and i got myself the nikname protein master if this is not good tell me what u like and ill make you a different one.....this is one of my top sellers its called.....Choco-bannana supreme
    This one is good no? go look at the recipes section i added my favroite and personal post workout shake this one seems more for you tho

Thread Information