Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

LOOOOOOOOONG article on fat.

can someone plz read this and comment. I mean if all this is true then I never ever will touch any fat other then extra virgine oliv oil,flax seed oil, butter and natural fat from meat, fish and eggs.
    Hell I will even begin to use butter again instead of oliv oil.

http://www.westonaprice.org/facts_ab...ts/skinny.html

anyone???

defdaz is offline Associate Member
    Johan,

that is a great article - thanks very much indeed for the link.

I've got a degree in Nutrition, Physiology and Biochemistry so I may be qualified enough to comment on the article.

It makes a great many valid and logical claims IMHO and I would recommend that everyone reads it. It may make you stop and think for a while. If so - GOOD.

The main issues are really whether saturated fat is good or bad for you, and what are the prime reasons for the increase in coronary heart disease we have seen over the last 60 years.

I have to agree that saturated fat is not bad for you, though of course too much total fat in your diet will still lead to health issues such as obesity. I totally agree with the article - vegetable fats are a huge reason for the increase in CHD. People don't seem to realise that poly unsaturates and mono-unsaturates are far more unstable than saturates and heavy use of them in cooking (and especially re-use in frying) is a VERY BAD IDEA.

Hopefully most of use don't use large amounts of margarine, eat much processed foods or large quantities of white flour anyway - which kinda makes this article a bit unneccesary but still it is important to note that if you aren't getting much fat in your diet you should think about eating more butter / coconut oil / extra virgin olive oil and flax seed oil.

That bit about how margarine is made... yuk!!

it realy made me think atleast

I have always stayed away from butter thinking that its a horrible fat to eat and that its easier stored as fat then oliv oil.

And now I read the opposite.

And its strange that everyone for years have been blaiming cholesterol for heart problems when they realy are there to fix problems.

Well now atleast I know that the fat in egg yolks is almost better then oils and not to be afraid of just because its saturated

Rottie is offline New Member
    Johan,

Excellent read!!!

This article really made me think about my family. I come from Polish-German Heritage. I can remember my grandmothers all-cooking with animal fats, and butter. In fact whole milk was a norm along with whole eggs, cream, cheese.... All containing saturated fat!!

I’m only 2nd Generation American, thus my parents were brought up with cooking habits learned from Ethnic European cooking. I live in an urban area in the US, and as a child I can remember how big and how damn strong all the older men were in the neighborhood. I’m not trying to start an issue on genetics, however as we should all know...people immigrated to the US, and they had a tendency to live in neighborhoods with the same ethnicity...thus Polish parts of town, German parts of town, Swedish parts of town, etc...

All these older people all cooked in the same manner...Lots of saturated fat...Lots of eggs, lots of whole milk (hell there was a time when a guy came around and delivered the stuff to your door...fresh from the outlaying farms.... And as my father would say.... He had to get up extra early to meet the milkman, so his 4 sisters wouldn’t get to sip the cream before him... that cream on the top of that whole milk was just so darn sweet...yummy

Anyhow, as I grew up the people in the neighborhood just seemed to keep living...and kept their strength. These people ate hardy, and worked hard (remember a time with no computers or robots ) Meat and potatoes, veggies grown in the garden, Breakfast consisting of Eggs, Bacon, and sometimes beef...all cooked in lard. My gosh I can remember several old men being the fear of the town to juveniles...heck, know one started any crap in an old ethnic Polish or German Neighborhood, as all the older men in their sixties would be so damn strong, it wouldn’t be worth it as a juvenile to get their ass kicked for an ill attempt at breaking and entering (Remember you are what you eat, maybe this old way of cooking was why these men were so strong, and the women were so intelligent....even into their 80's)

I grew up on this diet (and was strong, healthy and never overtly depressed), and as I entered my mid 20's I decided to eat in a so called healthy manner.... avoiding the lard, butter, whole-milk, egg yolks...etc. I couldn’t figure out why after a few years of this diet (of cutting out saturated fats) I gained weight, felt lousy, and seemed to get depressed over irrelevant things. Anyhow I think there is a lot to be said about this article you provided Johan...Sometimes the new isn’t always improved, and maybe a lack of saturated fat, and essential oils and vitamins has caused the onset of the American fixation on drugs like Prozac and the such (just a though).

Time to pull out the old cast iron pans, and load them with some lard..order up some real butter, and search the city for a gallon or two of whole milk. I will also say the info on the cholesterol and Linoleic Acid should be very interesting to any semi-serious body builder.

Thanks again for the info...my heritage likes it and my genetics love it

Last edited by Rottie; 03-15-2002 at 04:46 AM.

edraven29 is offline Associate Member

Talking great article

I have been using olive oil and omega 369 capsules for 2 weeks now i put the oil in my shake and take the capsules with meals.

I am doing a low carb diet and have lost about 6 pounds of water.

I do think that fat are important and that whole fat free shit has gone overboard.

Even my girlfriend got fatter by eating that shit, but now she knows better.

I guess that a good combination of good low glycemic carbs, protein and fats are the best choice of foods to eat.

Thread Information