diet question for somebody who knows thier sh*t

Who here reduces thier post workout carbs during cutting season?? Am I still cool to hit up 70-80 grams of dextrose post workout or should I cut it back to 40-50?? Any help would be appreciated

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    This depends on what you do w/the rest of your dietary approach.

I believe people need to understand that to assist, people need the entire CONTEXT of a situation. Many times people ask "Can I eat this", or "can I have this with that", etc. One cannot answer that question w/out knowing the entire protocol set forth. It's just not accurate nor reality.

~SC~

Ok, well the only sugar in my diet besides for my post workout shake is that from a fat free yogurt in the morning(about 15 grams) and my calorie count is definitely below maintenance level, even with the 80 gram dextrose in my shake. Seeing in how my calorie count is still below maintenance level is the 80 grams still going to hurt me? Also, is the point of this insulin spike as beneficial during a phase where muscle is only maintained as well as possible, rather than being built? Whats your sugar intake post workout during a shred phase Swole?

fritz2435 is offline Member
    it's fine... Your muscles need the carbs and insulin spike...

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    Ok, well the only sugar in my diet besides for my post workout shake is that from a fat free yogurt in the morning(about 15 grams) and my calorie count is definitely below maintenance level, even with the 80 gram dextrose in my shake. Seeing in how my calorie count is still below maintenance level is the 80 grams still going to hurt me? Also, is the point of this insulin spike as beneficial during a phase where muscle is only maintained as well as possible, rather than being built? Whats your sugar intake post workout during a shred phase Swole?
    For the love of god would you post your dietary approach so that we may assist you. Did you not read SC's response to your first post?

Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja
    For the love of god would you post your dietary approach so that we may assist you. Did you not read SC's response to your first post?

~SC~

Ok, here is an example of my daily diet to a T

7:30 a- 4 whole scrambled eggs, 1 bowl of oatmeal, 1 nonfat yogurt

10:15a- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, 1 serving of brown rice

1:00p- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, 1 serving brown rice

4:45, 5ish- 2 cans of tuna fish w/ relish, 1 small bowl of oats

6:15p- WORKOUT

7:45, 8ish- post workout shake with 3 scoops of ON's whey w/water and 80 grams of dextrose in the mix.

9:00, 9:30ish- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, 2 servings of flaxseed oil OR 1 scoop of natty peanut butter sometimes, sometimes another bowl of oatmeal or small bowl of rice, bowl of mixed veggies.

I was 243 lbs when I started my diet 5 weeks ago, I am now sitting at 227lbs today, I've tried the super low carb diets before but all it ever did was make me feel tired and miserable, it hardly gave me the energy to lift for 20 minutes.I do 1 cheat day a week. Here is a picture of what I looked like at 243 lbs, and what I look like now for reference to anybody who can give me advice, especially on post workout carbs during a cutting phase. Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails diet question for somebody who knows thier sh*t-robs-pics-009.jpg   diet question for somebody who knows thier sh*t-diet-pics-003.jpg   diet question for somebody who knows thier sh*t-diet-pics-004.jpg  

oh, sorry, the 1st pic in the lineup is at 243, the other 2 are at 227.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Make adjustments fast, you lost muscle and not much fat at all between 243 and 227.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Make adjustments fast, you lost muscle and not much fat at all between 243 and 227.
    Very true. It appears you are holding on to more fat in the pic when you weigh less.

Strange for sure, how is the strength? Do you do cardio?

KEY: I don't see much fat in your approach at all. Fat in = fat lost (to a point) in a controlled carb environment. You may wish to look into this. Your pro/carb appoach seems to be leading to a smaller "just-as-fat" physique. I.E., u may weigh less, but your body composition is the same.

Just something I have noticed after many years of working w/1000's.

Best of luck!

~SC~
    Last edited by SwoleCat; 01-20-2005 at 07:11 PM.

diesel21 is offline Member
    well, whenever cutting down you should never "cold turkey" right to little carbs... you go half at a time or less so your body can adjust and not loose too much muscle.... you then work it from there taking in less carbs as you progress.... its something you can make your body use to.... but if your countinuing to cut down, you will have to get rid of some of those carb meals...(then again, depends how active you are this/that, and how ripped you want to be...) i know for me thats way to many carb meals!
    anyway, take it slow and start ripping down, i would def make some adjustments, you have good muscle, but you can expect to loose 20-30 lbs easily before getting really tight............

Well, first off I should state that in my bulking pic it was towards the end of a cycle of dbol , tren , test, and slin. The only thing I've been taking so far into this cutting phase is clen and the ACE stack, I will be back on tren and prop in about another week or so, I just wanted to try to drop my bf a little naturally first. I dont know how much of a difference it makes, but my recent pics were taken towards the evening after consuming a gallon and a half of water throughout the day. I dont understand why I'm not losing the fat any quicker. I am consuming around 300 grams of protien/day, keeping my training sessions no longer than 40 minutes to an hour, I was doing cardio the first few weeks for 3-4 sessions a week at around 35 minutes a session, but I was starting to lose really fast so these past couple weeks I've backed off it a little. I'm sticking to mainly big lifts still such as deadlifts ,squats, bench, however I still hit all the muscle groups throughout the week aside from the power stuff. My strength has dropped some, but surprisingly not as significant as I expected. Believe it or not, my squat and deadlift has stayed pretty strong. I will still squat 365/10 and deadlift 455/6, my ****in bench has drastically dropped though. During that bulking phase I could bench press 335/8 now I'd be lucky to get 315/6!!!! I'm almost wondering if I'm eating too little. I have a metabolism that is usually pretty quick, I'm wondering if for somebody thats my bodyweight with a quicker metabolism that my calories are so low that dropping cals is causing me to lose too much. I also have a job where I'm moving around all day, I work in a shop where we fabricate natural stone and I walk up and down granite all day with a polishing gun in my hand(yeah it sux I know) I mean, I just dont understand it, maybe flax more throughout the day, not ENOUGH fat maybe??? Any suggestions? Here is a pic of what I was last summer after about 15 weeks of dieting(prop and tren) I was 208 here, I would like to drop to 205 but my **** chest is lagging, that is the main area I want to improve. I have naturally strong shoulders that naturally wanna take over almost any chest movement, so I've switched back to db's for chest, which I have not used consistently in about 3 years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails diet question for somebody who knows thier sh*t-robs-pics-001.jpg  

The answer is: "You are losing weight too fast!" After re-reading the post, you lost 16lbs in five weeks. That is over 3lbs a week. Shoot for 1lb a week or so. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Exactly my thoughts, it seems you did not do your homework bro. All that hard work down the drain.

I am consuming around 300 grams of protien/day, keeping my training sessions no longer than 40 minutes to an hour, I was doing cardio the first few weeks for 3-4 sessions a week at around 35 minutes a session, but I was starting to lose really fast so these past couple weeks I've backed off it a little.

35 min cardio sessions? I can't take a poop in that short of time, bump that up to 50-60min at target HR. You have been doing cardio within your target Heart Rate yes?

I would re-read the cutting stickie, get that down and you will be shredded no doubt, you know as well as i do its all about diet and cardio (weights to of course) to achieve what you want to which is be shredded.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the help, yeah I'm definitely bumping up my fat intake throughout the day. I think that was my biggest error was too many carbs and not enough fatty acids. If I'm 227 lbs now and turn things around, you guys think that I can still stay over 200 lbs at 7 or 8%???

If I'm 227 lbs now and turn things around, you guys think that I can still stay over 200 lbs at 7 or 8%???
    Yes, just get your diet in order. It's all about trial and error, so don't get frustrated. At least you know what works for you and what doesn't.

Thread Information