Iwan2bsolid2 is offline Senior Member

Solve the Postworkout Carb Controversy

God I'm so exausted over this subject...whether ingesting a simple form of carbohydrate after workingout is the thing to do...whether bulking, or leaning out. I mean I can see if your bulking up and want extra calories, but what if your trying to leanout? One person says yes you should others say your going to have to work that much harder to have that lean hard physique. Muscle Fitness say's yes you should ingest .4-.8 carbs p/bodyweight and a ratio 3 to1 (carbs to protein). That's (80-160) gms of carbs and (26-53) gms protein for a 200lb'er. They stated that your body will not store those injested carbohydrates as body fat. I was drinking my postworkout drink after a workout while talking to a guy I know from there- he asked what the hell I was drinking, I told him protein and carb drink. Basically (and he's a juicer with many years of experience) he said unless you shooting insulin with all those carbs -your body can't handle such a saturation- EVEN POSTWORKOUT. This sorta makes sence to me...when thinking about it. Like your body is really going to shuttle all those carbs into the muscle and not store any? Now... I'm sure it does shuttle some but all those excess leftover carbs are going to be stored if not used. Especially if you eat a big meal of carbs and protein an hour later. I can understand that it is probably good to have a little excess carbs to make sure that you mucles have gotten fully saturated with all the replenishment they can hold but the whole insulin thing got me thinking. Yeah Craig Titus downs 100 grams of Dextrose with 30 grams of Whey, then 15 min later pounds another 50 grams of Dextrose and 30 grams of Whey, but I'm sure he's also slammin a couple IU's of Slin to shuttle all those carbs. Again I think if you are looking to gain mass and bulk up this would be a great thing to do postworkout. But what about those trying to lean out? Can someone please help to clear this up- or at least push me and others that are confused in the right direction?

SOLID

wonderful world of oz,where juice is free,plentiful,sterile, and not toxic to the liver
    good post,i think that right after a workout you should eat a bannana and ingest 15 grams of protein,this restores your glycogen levels,then an hour later,eat 100grams carbs with 60 grams protein,that replenise's the muscle's,when you restore your glycogen levels right after a workout your body turns into catabolic state and is nurishing the muscle and burning lots of fat while doing it,then an hour later saturate the muscle with protein and carbs. is this all true,a bb told me this on several occasions and wether dieting or bulking he strongly believes in eating 3 boiled eggs with a bananna after a workout to restore glycogen levels then an hour later eating 60 grams of protein and 100 grams of carbs,ne input would help,thanx

Well bro they say that fructose- which is in a bananna restores liver glycogen- so soley this is not a great idea for replacing glycogen, but if you add another sipmple sugar such as Maltodextrin or Dextrose with some fructose that would be a good combination...since you would restore glycogen in the liver and in muscles. I think you are a little confused with with what happens after your workout... your body is in a catabolic state- which means muscle breakdown- when you replenish your glycogen stores your body switches from catabolic to anabolic - muscle repair. And to answer another one of your questions - after a workout you should drink your nutrition ( supplement drink with simple carbs and protein) - instead of eating a meal. You want faster absorbing nutrients - since you have a small window of time to make that transition from catabolic to anabolic. Another reason for drinking your postworkout nutrition is because your body has been put under alot of stress after a workout, you've pumped alot of blood into whatever muscles you were training. A big meal would force that blood out of the muscles in effort to digest that big meal you just ate. So the best thing you can do is drink your shake then eat your big meal an hour later.

do you guys still have alot of postworkout carbs after a late night workout?

Deadend is offline Associate Member
    Solid,
    I read that article too and was pretty convinced by it. But what your saying also makes a lot of sense. I've found that M&F is pretty extreme about food intake compared to most of the advice given on the board. I mean last month they described a low carb diet for a 200lber as

Days 1&2 - 200 carbs
    Day 3 - 600 carbs
    Day 4 - repeat day 1.

I feel your frustration too bro. I read that mag and think i've got everything figured out, and then get on the board and read some threads and I'm so confused that i'm back to square one.

I guess the only thing you can do is try it for yourself. But then there's the question of how long you should try something a week, a month, six months, a year??? It's frustrating.

I really want to hear Dr. Evil and BigKev's take on all this.

yup, I hear ya. Well Arnold even suggests it in his Encyclopedia, he suggest not to eat a meal right after your workout because you body had been put under alot of stress, and you don't want to stress it more but putting a big meal in your stomach. In fact and this is in the contest diet strategy section of the book...he recommends taking in some glycogen replacement (carbohydrate, supplement drink) after your gym workout and before you do any aerobic training. < Why would he recommend taking in carbs before cardio? Don't we want to burn fat, and not the carbs you would ingest? I don't know bro, but I'm going to keep doing it in moderation about 60 or so gms of dextrose after training. I can't see the need for over a 100 grams, unless your bulking up.

xenithon is offline Member
    hey there,

just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons isn't better to take in something like maltodextrin postworkout, cause it is a complex carb but has a very high GI, even higher than pure sugar! i heard this is the best for postworkout recovery.

Dextrose is #1, Maltodextrin #2.

oh. thanks for the info!

btw. what do u think of fruit postworkout. eg. a large apple (around 25g carbs)?? is fructose good?

Solid
    What shake do you drink after you workout and can you buy dextrose in supplement form? I mean can you go get a jug of dextrose, just like a jug of protein? Thanks bro. I'm trying to keep this thread bumped up for more opinions.

Fructose only replaces glyogen in the liver, so it would not be the best for postworkout. It is good to replace that liver glycogen, but muscle glycogen is more important. Most carb(postworkout recovery supps contain a mix of Maltodextrins, dextrose, fructose) so you get it all, which is good. I use Twinlabs Hydrafuel, it's dextrose. They also make Ultrafuel which is Maltodextrin. If you want to buy pure dextrose without flavoring and not mixed with anything go to www.proteinfactory.com But I kinda like the idea of having a mix of simple sugars to replace glycogen in muscles and liver.

SOLID

D00fy is offline Anabolic Member
    Does postwork out mean matter while on juice i was hoping to eat a high protein meal and complex carbs post workout?? or should i stick with protein and simple protein carb drink?

heya solid,

i finally found a place which sells twinlab here, but just having a hard time getting hold of them for now. just to ask if u maybe know, do they add anything else besides flavoring to the hydrafuel or ultrafuel? i read that for example hydrafuel is like 98% glucose polymers (maltodextrins) and about 2% fructose, which is great, as long as there aren't added sheeeet which I dont want or need. also, reading up, their triple whey fuel looks amazing!! anyone had any experience with it?

Doofy, postworkout- consume a protein/simple carb replenishment drink/even better add glutamine to it. Then eat a good meal 1 hr after.

Xenithon- Ingredients in Twinlab Hydrafuel (Fruit Punch)- Dextrose, Fructose, Citric Acid, Silica, Maltodextrin, Cherry extract(color), Potassium Phosphate Monobasic, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Choliride, Asorbic Acid, Magnesium Aspartate, Chromium Chloride.
    containing:
    5% glucose
    2% fructose
    This combination has been best for rehydrating and replenishing muscle and liver glycogen stores. "or so Twinlab says"

hope this helps..

SOLID

HONEY!!

sup ppls,

I found a very interesting article about honey and sports nutrition. it deals with exactly the things dealt with in this thread, and is extremely useful (i think). the most important bit is about 'postworkout recovery' - it seems as if honey kicks pretty much everythings arse

it does not allow me to attach it since its a pdf file. anyone know how to go about doing this? anyone have a personal server/space on the net who is willing to put it there for ppl to dl?? or i can send it via email if u want

cheers!

yes honey is good for it's high GI rating, but Maltodextrin and Dextrose is still a much better choice, but if your don't have these around then honey would be a good substitute.

thats what this article is all about. it describes why honey is so good and why it may be BETTER than both dextrose and maltodextrin. let me know if there is any way to post it, or i can email it its better for u to read and get the whole picture, but altogether its somethings about how glycogen replenishment can be measured by measuring blodd glucose after food intake, and honey shows much higher glucose adn thus higher glycogen replenishment than both maltodextrin and dextrose. (or so they say )

ciao

e-mail it to me...SOLID

please checm your pm, i cant send u email

i think i got it cracked (i hope). what does everyone think of this. btw, i am on a low fat, low sugar, low/medium carb diet aiming to maintain lean mass and decreas bf (slowly but surely )

40g whey (eg. eas simply protein or optimum nutrition 100% whey
    15g pure dextrose powder
    25g pure maltodextrin powder

Originally posted by xenithon
    please checm your pm, i cant send u email

i think i got it cracked (i hope). what does everyone think of this. btw, i am on a low fat, low sugar, low/medium carb diet aiming to maintain lean mass and decreas bf (slowly but surely )

40g whey (eg. eas simply protein or optimum nutrition 100% whey
    15g pure dextrose powder
    25g pure maltodextrin powder
    That sounds good bro, but those amounts should be proportionate to your weight. How much do you weigh?

Please email or pm me that article I'd like to check it out. Thanks

Thread Information