chad hugo is offline New Member

Diet coke while on competition diet

I was wondering if anyone here consumes diet coke/pepsi while on a competition diet? How much is enough? When do you cut it out prior to competition day?

I am considering drinking some diet coke while on my competition diet bc I get tired of consuming water and shakes everyday. I have tried some Crystal Light but I get really tired of the artificial fruit flavor.

Jenseno9 is offline Member
    i dont see why not?
    its low sodium, 0 carbs, 0 cals

chad hugo is offline New Member
    I read that the aspertame will affect your insulin levels if you consume too much. It is a sugar alcohol (or "poly-pol") that will not affect your insulin level unless consumed over 30-40g. Although all low carb products do not take into consideration the sugar alcohols in the net carb total, if consumed too much it will raise your insulin to a certain degree. Thats why you never see any low carbs products w/ over 30g of sugar alcohols.

Also, in addition to sugar alcohols consuming too much will give you gas. This is bc we do not have the proper receptors to absorb the sugar alcohols therefore it passes through us. When it reaches the colon, there are micro floras (colonies of bacteria) that aid in digetsion that will feed off of them. Their by products are methane gas, hence you fart constantly. Also, prolonged consumption to sugar alcohols will increase the micro-flora and eventually deteriorate your colon, similar to ulcers where it burns patches in your stomach.

Anyways, I just wanted to know if anyone had experiences w/ consuming it during contest dieting. I am assuming it will cause bloating due to the gas but Im not sure if it will cause water retention.

doublewide is offline Associate Member
    I can tell you that shortly after I get a super size diet coke I crash and burn. I get very, very tired.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by doublewide
    I can tell you that shortly after I get a super size diet coke I crash and burn. I get very, very tired.
    Why? It's basically water with caffeine.

~SC~

Also, I know of no sodas with sugar alcohols.

As well, I don't know how far out your show is, but shakes also go out the window during serious contest prep, for me anyway.

~SC~

Kim2884 is offline Female Member
    aspartame isn't a sugar alcohol, nor will it affect your insulin levels at any intake level. Sugar alcohols include substances ending in "-ol" such as sorbitol, maltitol, xylitol, erythritol, etc. I do agree that these should be avoided due to the gastro-intestinal side effects they cause. The long-term effects of aspartame are not known right now, but as far as anyone knows, it is "safe," but I believe sucralose is a better option. It tastes better, is heat-stable, and has no known health risks.

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Also, I know of no sodas with sugar alcohols.

As well, I don't know how far out your show is, but shakes also go out the window during serious contest prep, for me anyway.

~SC~
    Right on, I'm losing the shakes 2 weeks out. I usually drink a 20 oz diet pepsi everyday. Doesnt hurt me any, actually helps keep me sane with some flavor

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member

~SC~
    Ditto...shakes go some weeks out

Diet sodas about 2 weeks out...1 week out the closest (depending on the level of competition)

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    I hate the stuff. After my stomach katarr I am super sensitivt towards most sweteners especialy aspartam and acesulfam-k. The one that doesnt bother me that much is cyclosomethingsomething.
    Sucralose is harsh for me to unfortunaly

So I stay away from them and my advice would be that if someone has any kind of stomach condition then dont touch those **** chemicals.

Also I have read several articels(Cant remember where) that stated aspartam is linked to braindamage. Not something I would like to mess with.

co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    Why? It's basically water with caffeine.

~SC~
    I have caffeine crashes just as badly as sugar crashes. That is, if either is consumed in excess. Which I suppose is a very relative term.

seanw is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim2884
    aspartame isn't a sugar alcohol, nor will it affect your insulin levels at any intake level. Sugar alcohols include substances ending in "-ol" such as sorbitol, maltitol, xylitol, erythritol, etc. I do agree that these should be avoided due to the gastro-intestinal side effects they cause. The long-term effects of aspartame are not known right now, but as far as anyone knows, it is "safe," but I believe sucralose is a better option. It tastes better, is heat-stable, and has no known health risks.
    Well let me give you the result of a long term study. ME. I having been drinking Diet Coke or Diet Peppsi for about twenty years. I probably drink about three cans a day, sometimes more sometimes less. I am now 50 and it has had no effect so far.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by seanw
    Well let me give you the result of a long term study. ME. I having been drinking Diet Coke or Diet Peppsi for about twenty years. I probably drink about three cans a day, sometimes more sometimes less. I am now 50 and it has had no effect so far.

there are smokers that has smoked 3 packs a day for 50 years without ill effects

Not that I think sweeteners are that nasty. But I dont for one second think they are the slightes healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by co2boi
    I have caffeine crashes just as badly as sugar crashes. That is, if either is consumed in excess. Which I suppose is a very relative term.
    Ahh, yes that makes sense!

~SC~

Thread Information