Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet

The 'Right Fat Diet' & EFA's

The 'Right Fat Diet' & Essential Fatty Acids
    By: Udo Erasmus

"In our culture, most overweight results from excessive consumption of sweet and starchy foods. If we limit our intake of carbohydrates to our body's energy requirement, normal body weight is one of the benefits. Fats suppress appetite and therefore help to stabilize body weight."

To know how fats affect health, we must embrace two opposite stories. Most people know only the negative half of the fats story. We've heard it in many forms. The gist of the story is that fats are bad. Hence, the popularity of the "low-fat" and "no-fat" diet craze. The reality is, used over a long time, a no-fat diet will kill you and a low-fat diet can make you very ill. It can set you up for cardiac arrest, stunt growth in children and harm liver, kidney, brain, immune, gland and organ function. In adults, early signs of insufficient healing fats include dry skin and low energy levels.

What we need is not a high, low, no or fake fat diet. We need a Right Fat Diet. Such a diet emphasizes green foods, protein, minerals, vitamins, and optimum intake of the fats that heal. The truth about the fats that kill is that most of the health problems blamed on fat result from destructive processing that can change healing fats into killing fats. The fats that heal are sensitive to destruction by light, oxygen (air) and heat.

"When we fry, hydrogenate, or deodorize our fats, a percentage of the healing molecules they contain becomes chemically changed, damaged, unnatural and toxic."

When we fry, partially hydrogenate (margarine, shortening, partially hydrogenated vegetable oils) or deodorize (to make colorless, odorless, tasteless oils) our fats, a percentage of the healing molecules they contain becomes chemically changed, damaged, unnatural and toxic. Frying fats increases cancer and cardiovascular risk. Partial hydrogenation produces trans-fatty acids, which according to the Harvard School of Public Health, double risk of heart attack and kill at least 30,000 people in the US each year.

The fats that heal are called essential fatty acids (EFAs). Like minerals, vitamins and essential amino acids (proteins), they are essential for health and essential for life. Our body cannot make EFAs. It requires them for normal function of every cell, tissue, gland and organ.

EFAs are the parents of two families of molecules, called omega 3 (n-3) and omega 6 (n-6). Each family has several members: the EFA parent, several EFA derivatives and a few dozen EFA-derived hormones called eicosanoids. The parent n-3 and n-6 EFAs, called alpha-linolenic acid and linoleic acid, respectively, are found in small amounts in green vegetables and in large quantities in certain seeds and nuts. Flax is very rich in n-3, but poor in n-6 and can lead to n-6 deficiency. Sunflower and sesame seeds are rich in n-6, but contain almost no n-3. Fatty cold water fish such as salmon, sardines, mackerel, pilchard, herring, trout and albacore (white) tuna contain n-3 and n-6 EFA derivatives. Eating fresh fish is better for health than swallowing overprocessed, damaged fish oils with their rancid burp taste.

To get the right ratio of both EFAs, we must mix and match the right kind of seeds. Too much of one crowds out the other and vice versa. If we optimize intake of both EFAs, the body itself makes the derivatives and hormones that EFAs are parent to. Optimum intake is about 2 to 5 daily tablespoons of an appropriate EFA-rich oil mixture with n-3 and n-6 in the right ration. EFA-rich seed oil blends made with health and the right ratio of n-3 to n-6 in mind, are found in brown glass bottles and boxed in the refrigerator section of health food stores. These oils also contain "minor" ingredients with major health benefits which make up about 2% of the oil and include chlorophyll, lecithin, vitamin E, carotene and phytosterols.

An n-6 deficiency (affecting people on low, no, wrong, or fake fat diets) can cause many degenerative symptoms including: low energy, dry skin, hair loss, kidney, liver and brain degeneration, attention deficit disorder, depression, poor wound healing, sterility, miscarriage, arthritis-like conditions, heart beat abnormalities that can lead to cardiac arrest and growth retardation in children. A n-3 deficiency (affecting 95+% of affluent populations) can cause: low energy; weakness; impaired vision and learning; poor motor coordination; tingling sensation in limbs, high serum triglycerides and blood pressure, sticky platelets, edema, digestive problems, acne, weight gain, inflammatory diseases, allergies, auto-immune conditions and cancer. The easiest way to prevent and reverse EFA deficiency is with EFA rich oils made with care, with the right n-3 to n-6 ratio (2:1).

Some of the benefits of using a superior EFA product are:

- increased stamina
    - fast recovery from fatigue after exertion
    - elevated mood
    - greater calmness under stress
    - better mental performance
    - improved skin
    - lower triglycerides
    - healthier cardiovascular system
    - better digestion
    - bowel regularity
    - less inflammation and auto-immune symptoms
    - increased immunity
    - optimum insulin function
    - increased fat burning
    - better weight management

Remember, Fats Don't Make You Fat.
    In our culture, most overweight results from excessive consumption of sweet and starchy foods. If we limit our intake of carbohydrates to our body's energy requirement, normal body weight is one of the benefits. Fats suppress appetite and therefore help to stabilize body weight. The good fats (omega-3 especially and omega-6), to some extent, increase body fat burning, decrease body fat production, and increase body heat production (i.e. fat burnoff without exercise).

For best results, lower carbohydrate intake and increase consumption of good (omega-3 and omega-6) fats made with health in mind.

LAW
    LAW is offline Female Member
    Great info! Wish i would have had that years ago when i went on a liquid diet for 6 months and lost my gallbladder! Didn't know i needed fat! DUH
    Im doing the Ketosis diet now and I make sure i have EFA's (good ones). Im going to pass this on to many of my friends who don't believe me. Thanks

arnoldwannab is offline Associate Member
    Great read bro, thanks!

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LAW
    Great info! Wish i would have had that years ago when i went on a liquid diet for 6 months and lost my gallbladder! Didn't know i needed fat! DUH
    Im doing the Ketosis diet now and I make sure i have EFA's (good ones). Im going to pass this on to many of my friends who don't believe me. Thanks
    If you stay in ketosis, your lean muscle tissue will go the way of your ballbladder.

Thread Information