Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    lightwaytbaby's Avatar
    lightwaytbaby is offline "Anabolic Reviews Affliction"
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Donkey calf raises
    Posts
    5,559

    Atkins Vs. Conventional

    hi, i have been lifting for about 3 years now, but recently quit and put on some weight during college, and im looking to drop weight as fast as possible, i was thinking about running cardio 4-5 times a week, but i was wondering which diet i will loose weight faster on without the concern for muscle loss
    a diet similar to the "UNOFFICIAL HOW TO CUT DIET"
    OR
    the "ATKINS DIET"

    which diet with the right amount of cardio could i loose weight faster?
    thanks for the help...

  2. #2
    OSTIE's Avatar
    OSTIE is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Mil-town
    Posts
    1,189
    without question, the sticky.... make sure you do your cardio first thing in the A.M. on an empty stomach staying at 65-75% MHR

  3. #3
    SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    25,739
    Atkins sucks balls.

    So does running.

    I think the answer is pretty clear!

    ~SC~

  4. #4
    alphaman is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    The Couch
    Posts
    957
    uhh.... he said w/out the concern of muscle loss. you guys think one would really lose fat quicker on the sticky diet? What if he's obese?

  5. #5
    dr.shred's Avatar
    dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,328
    only thing the atkins diet does is make your crave carbs and eventually break down and have to s*it can the diet all together.

  6. #6
    alphaman is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    The Couch
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.shred
    only thing the atkins diet does is make your crave carbs and eventually break down and have to s*it can the diet all together.
    I've seen obese, sedentary individuals that were very successful w// it. Ketosis is actually an extreme appetite suppressant.

  7. #7
    lightwaytbaby's Avatar
    lightwaytbaby is offline "Anabolic Reviews Affliction"
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Donkey calf raises
    Posts
    5,559
    im currently 6'4'', not obease, probally around 18-19% BF, have been on 1 cycle, and have a nice build so far, but i want to start out on a clean slate, and just get very lean, i would like to see 8-9%BF, then i will run another cycle after my goal has been accomplished...
    so ditch the atkins and go conventional for faster weight loss?

  8. #8
    lightwaytbaby's Avatar
    lightwaytbaby is offline "Anabolic Reviews Affliction"
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Donkey calf raises
    Posts
    5,559
    FWIW-im currently [email protected]'4''...so 19%BF would be a consertive estimate...

  9. #9
    alphaman is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    The Couch
    Posts
    957
    I wouldn't say conventional. The best plan of action would be to use the type of diet in the cutting sticky, and be consistent and patient. I think you would lose fat faster on a keto diet, but the extra fat loss isn't worth the muscle you would lose. I've done it b4, and it made me look fllaaaatttt.

  10. #10
    dr.shred's Avatar
    dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,328
    Quote Originally Posted by alphaman
    I've seen obese, sedentary individuals that were very successful w// it. Ketosis is actually an extreme appetite suppressant.
    I didnt say it doesn't work, but the question longterm it sux. Carbs are an important part of any diet.

    -SHRED

  11. #11
    beenie's Avatar
    beenie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,292
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Atkins sucks balls.

    So does running.

    I think the answer is pretty clear!

    ~SC~
    Harsh and definitive - SC

    I have a different point of view. Atkins will work really well for dropping weight. Fat people can get really skinny on it and itís easy. If your goal is to get big muscles too, itís not likely to do what you want. Having done an extreme Atkins diet for a number of years I was able to stay very lean and at the same time increase strength. I never was able to put on much size with it however. As a result, people are often surprised at my strength, because I can lift a lot, while keeping very solid form. For the amount that I can lift I think that I might be much bigger if I had been doing the Sticky diet.

    Currently adding sticky components to my diet, and so far not adding fat and if anything getting a bit lower. People have commented that I am putting on size Ė but it has only been 3 weeks so the jury is still out in my case.

    My point is that I donít think that Atkins should necessarily be a right off for everyone. When I started, I dropped over 100 lbs on it and that was 5 years ago. The only weight I have put back is muscle.

  12. #12
    alphaman is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    The Couch
    Posts
    957
    I lost strength on a keto-like diet.

  13. #13
    SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    25,739
    We actually have the same view, but I didn't go into technicalities. Yes, a keto diet can enable one to drop weight quickly, but you lose the "big muscle" aspect or the ability to gain lean mass basically as you listed. So, that is why I come across "harsh and definitive", simply because I believe that the addition of lean mass while losing bodyfat is a far better dietary protocol than just dropping fat (and inevitably some lean mass too if one doesn't workout).
    Meaning, some carbs in a program designed to support/gain lean mass won't interfere w/one losing the maximum amount of bodyfat, if everything is set up in impeccable fashion. I've done both, have had people utilize both, and the results as well as logic behind the comparison of the two is always pretty clear.

    ~SC~

    Quote Originally Posted by beenie
    Harsh and definitive - SC

    I have a different point of view. Atkins will work really well for dropping weight. Fat people can get really skinny on it and itís easy. If your goal is to get big muscles too, itís not likely to do what you want. Having done an extreme Atkins diet for a number of years I was able to stay very lean and at the same time increase strength. I never was able to put on much size with it however. As a result, people are often surprised at my strength, because I can lift a lot, while keeping very solid form. For the amount that I can lift I think that I might be much bigger if I had been doing the Sticky diet.

    Currently adding sticky components to my diet, and so far not adding fat and if anything getting a bit lower. People have commented that I am putting on size Ė but it has only been 3 weeks so the jury is still out in my case.

    My point is that I donít think that Atkins should necessarily be a right off for everyone. When I started, I dropped over 100 lbs on it and that was 5 years ago. The only weight I have put back is muscle.

  14. #14
    AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Pennslyvania
    Posts
    2,450
    If you do atkins, don't go doing full egg omelets with cheese and sausage, and ribeyes with hollandaise sauce, and this and that. You have to keep the fat in check as well, and make sure your getting the good fats too.
    Personally i wouldn't put more than 15-20 grams of fat per meal maximum. But that's me. If your bigger you may be able to handle more , but you don't need huge amounts of fat to stimulate the fatburning enzymes and support hormone function.

  15. #15
    noodles*5.0 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    13
    i tried the atkins/carb thing a few times and it seemed to suck for me at least....i think it just works different on other people and need to try a few before you find the one that best suits you

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •