Thread: Shopping List

georgie24 is offline Member

Shopping List

whats up guys..i have been asking alot of questions and got some awsome replies.now the thing is i work in a supermarket and its easy for me to read labels and what not.so my post is for list of some things to have handy while dieting.

thanx bros!!

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Here goes...just remember this list is not complete...it's just some basics if you want to eat clean:

Protein:
    Lean beef, chicken breasts, eggs, tuna, fish fillets, shell fish, lentils, un-salted nuts, fat free cheese, cattage cheese, low fat or fat free yogurt

Carbohydrates:
    brown rice, wheat pasta, whole wheat bread or bagels, yams (sweet potatos), honey, rice cakes (good snack), low fat or fat free popcorn, some fruits, some vegetables

Fats:
    low fat cheese, egg yolks, olive oil, natural peanut butter, fatty fish (salmon, herring, mackerel, trout),

Be creative...if your going to buy something off the shelf remember to read the entire label. Something may be low fat and carbs with high protein but it could also be loaded with sodium. Also try to steer clear of sugar.

Pete

georgie24 is offline Member
    thats a pretty good start thanx..sodium woops i never started monitoring!! is thats gonna efect weight loss if so whats the max allowance.didnt research that one

MarkyMark is offline Member
    Nice post Pete ..... Bump .... I will add to that . His list is definately for a maintenance or a gain .... lots of variety and plenty to keep cravings down .... If your goal is serious diet you may concern yourself with a much smaller list ...hehe
    One thing and I feel most important for a newbie learning about healthy eating is this lil label trick .....

New labels now say calories from fat ..... This and the total calories is enough to get you thru ... Keep in mind what the serving size is as well .... That soup can that you can prolly eat 3 whole cans full alone may be 3-4 servings ...hehehe ...

Now take the Total calories and divide by calories from fat .... if it is more than 20 or so percent you may wonder if you need to eat it .... harder dieting will be around 10% fat....... but then you may be cutting alot of carbs and that in itself will keep you away from hamburger helper ,,,, haha ...

Good luck

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    wow good list. i also like to get some low fat ground turkey and make some turkey burgers on my foreman grill

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Gotta agre with Markmark here

Your post rings true. Another thing to look out for ESPECIALLY
    when you are talking about these so called diet aids. (Slim FAst is a good example)
    Ok they want you to belive that there ia no fat in it right? And at the same time they want it to taste good. Although the fat content may be zero but look toward the sugar content. We all know what happens to sugar in our bodies so I will not even go there. Pete made some excellent suggestions. Once you have all of this if you do not know what to do with it pop over to the reciepe section.
    Tobey

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    Tobey you just added to my shopping list. I forgot about whole wheat pasta. Oooooo I love pasta too.

Shouldn't the cottage cheese be low fat too? My wife talked me in to trying that soured milk stuff this weekend. I hope I like it. It would be nice to have a new source of protein. Sounds gross though.

Dane, I love my Forman Grill Bro. Makes cooking so much easier. Got 2 chicken breasts on there for tomarrow now.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Stay away from simple carbs sugary foods and high fat.I always keep my fat at 15% of my total cals.Working in a supermarket would be ideal!!

Billy

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    OK lets See

20 Chicken Breast
    21 Tins Tuna
    15 Pints Milk
    28 Litres Bottled Water
    7 Tubs Cottage cheese 250g
    1Kg Extra Lean Mince
    300g Steak
    2 Fresh Salmon Steaks
    Stewing Steak 300g
    3Kg Potatoes
    Bag Brocholi
    Pasta
    Pasta sauses
    Other Mixes
    21 Banana's
    462g Protein Power
    2Kg Weight Gain
    70 Eggs
    700g Oats
    7 Bagels

Plus treats, lf cheese, hams bread.
    Protein bars.

I think thats all!

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    way to sum it all up big al! you must be one hungry guy. the foreman grill is a must for anybody who has to eat large quantities of protein. it quick and easy and tastes good.

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    I keep looking at that list thinking.........I've missed something!

Ah well, I'm sure I'll think of something. I'm looking forward to the states cos your resturants are much better fro quantity than ours!

Better warn em for me guys!

MarkyMark is offline Member
    Hey Big Al ..... is that per day ? hehe

tranzit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMark
    Hey Big Al ..... is that per day ? hehe
    Hahah! i was thinking that too.

Thread Information