alphaman is offline Member

Exclamation Maltodextrin is #2 ingredient in Crystal Light

I remembered some one saying their Crystal Light was made w/ sucralose, so I lwas looking at the ingredients on the back of the new one my wife just got at the store, and citric acid is #1, and maltodex is #2! It still says zero carbs, and zero suger on Nutrition Information label. How is this possible? This one is the pink lemonade, and I then looked at a raspberry iced tea one, and the #2 ingredient is "corn sugar solids**". I looked at the asterisks, and it said "trivial amount of sugar". I've heard that they're not sure how aspartame affects blood sugar, so I've watched my intake of CL while dieting, but now I'm even more suspicious......

Looks to me like whatever the case, you definetly have to watch the amounts you drink.

4U2NV is offline Associate Member
    sure does make you wonder? Because I drink a crap load of CL and I know many others do also

511220 is offline Associate Member
    The new CL is Sucralose and it's listed on the label. I get mine from Costco and noticed back around the first of the year is when the change from aspartame was made.

Are you in the states?

Quote Originally Posted by 511220
    The new CL is Sucralose and it's listed on the label. I get mine from Costco and noticed back around the first of the year is when the change from aspartame was made.

Are you in the states?

Me? Look to the right of my avatar. Indianapolis, IN USA. Mine says aspartame too, ingredient #3 on both flavors.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaman
    Me? Look to the right of my avatar. Indianapolis, IN USA. Mine says aspartame too, ingredient #3 on both flavors.
    Mnnn? Thats interesting. Old batches still around maybe? Contractual obligations to the chem company making aspartame?

All I know is that the old stuff I could not drink ED. The new stuff honestly tastes like good old fashioned Koolaid.

Quote Originally Posted by 511220
    Mnnn? Thats interesting. Old batches still around maybe? Contractual obligations to the chem company making aspartame?

All I know is that the old stuff I could not drink ED. The new stuff honestly tastes like good old fashioned Koolaid.

Look on the ingredients to see if there's any corn sugar or maltodex.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaman
    Look on the ingredients to see if there's any corn sugar or maltodex.
    None

http://www.kraftfoods.com/crystallight/cl_products.html

Looks like the powdered stuff is still aspartame. I buy the bottles pre-mixed in cases. The also used to be aspartame.

ah, yeah. i buy the powdered kind.

any body else? swole? tai?

I just want to know how maltodextrin can be the #2 ingredient, and it still be 0 carbs. I could understand if it said >1 gram, but 0?

dragon69 is offline Member
    if you buy a container of sucralose it will list maltodextrin as an ingredient. This is because they took it and cleaved off a portion of the molecule so it's inactive as a calorie. Tastes like sugar, heard it delivers creatine fine (from a guy who's won a few shows), but has no caloric or fattening effect.
    So since the raw material in sucralose is maltodextrin, that is why it's listed on the CL label.
    I think I'll start a thread on sucralose's effect.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    aspartame rocks

Quote Originally Posted by dragon69
    if you buy a container of sucralose it will list maltodextrin as an ingredient. This is because they took it and cleaved off a portion of the molecule so it's inactive as a calorie. Tastes like sugar, heard it delivers creatine fine (from a guy who's won a few shows), but has no caloric or fattening effect.
    So since the raw material in sucralose is maltodextrin, that is why it's listed on the CL label.
    I think I'll start a thread on sucralose's effect.
    I knew there wa an explaination! Thanks.

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    Kind of off subject but I didnt want to start a new "Crystal Light" topic.

I just tried the Ruby Red Grapefruit flavor and it kicks ass, it was the first time I have seen this flavor at any of the stores i frequent. Its probably an old flavor but GIVE IT A TRY!
    Last edited by StoneGRMI; 05-25-2005 at 01:09 PM.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    aspartame is over 200 times more potent then sugar as for flavor thus they use less than 200times that of sugar so like
    if some sorta bevereage contained about 220g's of sugar GOD HELP US if there is such a thing it would have 1g of aspartame which woudl ruffly affect blood sugar similar to that of a maybe 1 or 2 grams of sugar.

Thread Information