Thread: Purpose of Fat?

Hans is offline Associate Member

Purpose of Fat?

Can anybody explain or provide link to educate the purpose of fat in a bodybuilding diet? Carbs and protein are understood, but why fat?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Energy, test, skin, hair, nails, etc.

Google "fats in a BB'ing diet" and watch the results roll in.

~SC~

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    almost every function in the body needs fat. Good fats. Cell membranes, vein structures, brain tissue, immune system, metabolism, vitamin absorbation, hormon production.

If all those things doesnt work good then you can forget about building muslce or losing fat in the best way.

That was 2 quick and convincing repies, thanks. I tend to eat mostly protein, have been trying to up the carbs and really dont get much fat in my diet. I eat very clean abut 5 or 6 times daily. Will try the flax oil I bought sitting unopended in my fridge and up the tuna and nuts I guess. Swole, will google search. Thanks to both of you who replied...Hans.

fish oil is also very good and fatty fish. Avacado is another good fat source.

PS, i'm 36 yrs young, 6'3, weigh 227, about 12% BF guess, vascularity hitting forearms lately, look very lean and a bit cut, no pictures avail. Average meal 5 times ED contains roughly 50 to 75 grams Protein and equal amount in good carbs. Starting 10 week Deca /Sust cycle tonight and will up my prot/carb intake and after reading this fat thread advice...will also up my fat intake as well.

Just dont eat the fat and carbs at the same time if you want to lose fat or gain very lean mass.

So should I only have 1 Pro/Fat meal of my 5 or 6 meals daily or more than 1? Have read somewhere about a Pro/Fat meal by itself and if you're suggesting don't mix fat and carbs, this would make sense to just try and eat a Pro/Fat meal. So how many Pro/Fat meals daily does one need based on the above stats I mentioned? Also, is there a time of day that a Pro/Fat meal would be most productive for bulking lean mass goals?

the number of pro/fat meals depends on your body. Me I go with pro/fat meals all the day except post workout and post post workout.
    Its all about hwo you tolerate carbs.

What are your goal right now? To lose fat or to gain muscle?

Gain lean muscle mass is my goal. I look lean, but with mscular shape at my guess 12% BF, 6'3, 227 lbs. Can see veins in forearms and biceps. Looking to add at least another 20 lbs. Very high metabolism. 8 hr sleep everynight. Presently have all 5 meals Pro/Carbs, see below example:
    Meal 1... 10 egg whites, 2 bowls oatmeal
    Meal 2... 12 oz can tuna, brown rice
    Meal 3... 4 Turkey burgers, 6 pieces multi grain bread
    Meal 4... post workout....shake that contains 1090 calories (5 g prot, 200 g Carbs)
    Meal 5... Dinner... anywhere from 1 to 2 lbs of chicken/steak/beef with pasta/potato/beans/etc

Critique above and please suggest where I should insert a Pro/Fat meal?

I dont know much about lean bulking so Im gonna let someone else chim in. But if you have a fast metabolism then you could replace maby meal 5 and 2 with pro/Fat meals and make sure the kcal from fat exeeds the kcal from carbs you get right now. Something along those lines. Il let someone else comment so I dont give you the wrong info.

If you can get away with it you can add fat to the meal containing the lowest gi carb source. Like for instance the brown rice meal. Like a nice big serving of salmon to the rice instead of tuna.

N00b is offline Banned
    Now when we're talking fats being essential here, is ONLY the flax, PB etc or does this include eggs, mayo etc.?

eggs does have alot of good fats in them. Fats that you should eat is unsaturated ones. Saturated fats arent dangerous but they arent benifical either(except mct oils). The only fat you should NEVER eat is hydrogenated fat(I guess its also called trans fatty acids). Or well never is a strong word. You should try to avoid it.

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    dude ur pwo shake is 200 gs carb and 5 gs protein? i think u mean 50 gs which the total would be 1000kcal

ur diet needs work alot of work
    read the bulking stickies

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalMethodX
    dude ur pwo shake is 200 gs carb and 5 gs protein? i think u mean 50 gs which the total would be 1000kcal

ur diet needs work alot of work
    read the bulking stickies
    PWO shake is 220 g carbs and 50 g protein, 1 bottle called Extreme XXL by ABB

Will read the bulking stickies again

Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Although those taste good, you'll want to use something else.

That ratio is too "off", and those things will get you fat at well over 1000 kcals a pop.

~SC~

N00b is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans

Will read the bulking stickies again
    I had one of those before. Gave me the shits.

I dont think I'd ever use them again, they're way too damn rich.

Love those shakes, drink one PWO ED.

Austex is offline Member
    I love fats. I have a fast metabolism as well, and fats keep me going without burning muscle tissue. Looking at your diet, I would suggest changing it up completely. If your schedule permits, get 2 more meals in. Here's an example you may check out (this type of diet is what I follow on training days):

(1)AM Meal: Protein, Complex Carbs, and a "little" bit of Fats
    ****The AM meal is the most important meal to start off the day, IMO...so I allow a slight amount of Fats in this meal****

(2)Mid-morning Meal: Protein, Fat

(3)Lunch: Protein, Complex Carbs

(4)Mid-afternoon: Protein, Fat

(5)PWO Shake: Protein, Simple Carbs

(6)PWO Meal (about one hour after PWO): Protein, Carbs

(7)Bedtime Meal: Protein, Fat

If nothing else, try this out for a week or two...if you don't like it, try something else or go back to the diet you are currently on. I think you will find this pro/fat, pro/carb alternation helpful though in achieving your goals. Best of luck to you.

not to turn this thread around btu DAMN swole your one big muther****er in that photo. I thought you where gonna slim down but now I read your gonna get bigger. Any new competition plans?

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    not to turn this thread around btu DAMN swole your one big muther****er in that photo. I thought you where gonna slim down but now I read your gonna get bigger. Any new competition plans?
    Nope, no competitions for me anymore, been there done that and I'm through w/ those things. No point to do them really, unless you have never done one, but I've done 3 and qualified for nationals, so there really is no point. All you get is a trophy, and you suffer for all that!!!!! No thanks!

Only competition for me is gonna be in the buffet line.

~SC~

lol so getting upp to 280 is just a personal goal? Getting as big as possible without beeing a pig kind of thing?

Thread Information