BigD is offline Associate Member

Question Is there any tricks to separating Egg whites

Does any body know any tricks to separating egg whites, or maybe some kinda kitchen utensil that does this?

Or how does everybody else do it, maybe I'm doing something wrong but I seem to always make a mess.

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    I crack the egg and then use the shell halfs to seprete the yolk from the white.

I watch cooking shows and the chefs just reach in and pick up the yolk with their hands...doesn't get any easier than that

Nico is offline Associate Member
    I do the same thing as Pete does. But I think it is easier if you just crack open the whole egg then when you are done doing that just use your hand to get the yokes out of the bowl. The thing with this is that you have to watch out that the yoke doesnt break open when the eggs are being cracked.

Jenna is offline Female Member
    You can separate them with the shells as they recommended, or they DO sell a kitchen gadget that will separate them for you... you just drop the egg in a sorta of a strainer and the white falls through but the yolk doesn't... i need to get me one because I always have one yolk that'll slip past me!

<<<< JENNA >>>>

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    Or buy egg whites only, comes in cartons like milk. Not really much more money considering you tossing most of egg, plus remeber egg only has 1g of Saturated fat in it. So not problem eating few yokes, rest of fat is all considered good fats.

Trianon is offline Associate Member
    J, I have this doohickey, works very well, but since I boil eggs, I hardly use it at all. I don't know what is bigger pain in the butt, straining yolks or peeling 10 eggs for breakfast

beenie is offline Senior Member
    The two half shell method works really well, but if you go to a kitchen sullpy store such as Crate and Barrel, the sell egg seperators. They are very easy to use. Smply crack the egg, pour it in and the gizmo seperates it for you. Think they cost about 2 or 3 dollars.

xenithon is offline Member
    those thingamajiggys which strain the whites are okay - except that if you have one little tiny eencie weencie minutely small crack in the yolk - it opens up and goes through the filter. Honestly the easiest way - boil them first

I'm gonna buy one of those doohickey/gizmos and see how they work. I do the two half shell method now but one or two yellows slips, or the yellow will break.
    I also tried dumping the whole thing in a scooping the yellow out, but I seem to always break the yellow trying to do this.

I would boil them but I’m pressed for time in the morning, I typically drink them...yeah I know that's kinda dangerous.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    Egg Beaters in bulk....Great stuff, no shells to mess with, just shake a little an pour.

What's the nutrition like for Egg Beaters compared to Egg Whites?

I though I compared them once and there was something bad about the Egg Beaters....however I could be dreaming here.

Trianon is offline Associate Member
    I boil eggs in the evening for the next morning, this way they are cold and easier to peel.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    Egg Beaters are 99% egg white. rest is color, a little preservative. no difference, same protien, no fat, no cholesterol.

Thread Information