Mogambo is offline New Member

New diet after blood tests, big problem.

hey guys, ive been reading this board for years now, normally find everything i need to know in the search and from posts from guys like SC and other vets who seem to know their shit. Anyways at last i need help.

I ran ckd for 2 weeks and after failing to get in ketosis after 14 days i decided to get some blood tests done cause i knew something was wrong. Turned out i have extremly high blood sugar levels mostly due to genetics, not quite diabetic yet but im on the road there, so no meds were prescribed. So for the past month ive had 4 fat/protein meals and carbs only PWO and PPWO. Still havent lost anything even after am cardio so im thinking of droping the dextrose post workout and jsut having straight up protein instead. I figure if my blood sugar levels are naturally high then there is no point in including simple carbs post workout cause im not producing enough insulin for uptake anyways but im apprehensive to give it up. What do you guys think???? Any suggestion is welcome. Thanks.

Cutting
    5'7
    18%

dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    dropping the dex may make sense in your case, however, it may still be beneficial after an intense lifting session even for you. I would maybe limit it to a few lifts a week def. on your leg day. You might also want to think about posting your current diet for some more critique.

-SHRED

Here's my cutting diet.

meal 1: 12 egg whites/2whole eggs/table spoons flax/scoop whey

meal 2: 2 scoops whey/flax

meal 3: Good Old Chicken/vegies/

meal 4: steak/vegies

meal5: (preworkout whey and bcaa)

meal 6: (PWO) 2 scoops whey/50 grams dex

meal 7: chicken and potatoes (can't deal with brown rice) with r-ala

meal 8: 2 scoops whey/flax

Approx. 300grams protein, 100 grams carbs and 50 grams fat.

Also clean carb-up on once a week on mostly oatmeal rice and potatoes about 400 grams of carbs and r-ala with each meal that day. Liver tabs between meals all day, also on eca doing am cardio empty stomach. God am i ever frustrated, you put in so much work and it hurts when u dont get the results.
    Last edited by Mogambo; 08-08-2005 at 07:37 PM.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Did the doctor test your natural testosterone levels and your thyroid function?

~SC~

My normal test levels were fine, i cant remember the exact numbers, tyroid function i honestly didn't ask about because he said that everything in my blood test was great including liver values and cholesterol, so if thyroid function shows up in the blood test then it should be normal according to him, if i have to do a different test for it then i may have a problem. I should also add that im taking 40 mgs var a day to help me, not really sure if thats relevent.

TheChosenOne is offline Anabolic Member
    First of all your macronutrient breakdown isnt accurate. You are actually eating more calories than you have listed in your totals. You are far and away exceeding 50g Fat. I venture to say without knowing portion sizes that you are consuming more than 300g of Pro also. There is some chance that you are exceeding your BMR however I dont think that is the case.

A few things you could try doing that I do with diabetics and those struggling to lose weight is cycling your kcal intake. One day try 2400, next try 1600, then 1800, and so on.
    You could also try IGF to improve your BG. Studies show it to have some insulin resistance effects which could improve your numbers. There is much talk about IGF being used by diabetics in the coming years.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne
    First of all your macronutrient breakdown isnt accurate. You are actually eating more calories than you have listed in your totals. You are far and away exceeding 50g Fat. I venture to say without knowing portion sizes that you are consuming more than 300g of Pro also. There is some chance that you are exceeding your BMR however I dont think that is the case.
    I'm glad you pointed these out...cus IMO he is on all counts.

The liver tabs add up over the course of the day...It's unnecessary to pop 'em between meals.Use 'em with meals to improve the amino spectrum of a meal...and to add b-vitamins and stuff..but not between meals...especially if stabilising blood sugar is your goal.

You're 205 lbs @ 18% BF...i.e 168 lbs LBM

You're currently estimating your daily consumption @ 2050 kcals...this is pretty near to your BMR...

critiques:

too much powder. Drop the protein powder 'cept PWO and pre-bed. You're attempting to stabilise your blood sugar so change the structure of meal 5. It's whey + BCAA...no carbs no fat. I can only see this contributing to a blood sugar spike...as it based on fast-digesting protein with a high glucogenic amino-acid content

I just casually glanced over your diet again...and there's no way that's just 2050 calories.

Somehow it isn't adding up. Even though you didn't mention serving sizes..it seems like a hella lotta food to be cutting on.

~Nark

Good point with the calorie consumption guys im gonna have to re-evaluate that. In additon im gonna drop the whey shakes except PWO and bed time as suggested. So do you guys agree that i should also drop the simple sugar post workout??

Possibly...In the competitive bodybuilding forum, Mike_XXL advises using rice cakes post-training as his carb of preference since he doesn't like/respond-well-to dextrose.

You could try this or 1-2 boiled/baked white potatoes. I've used potatoes PWO and they've worked well.

Add some d-pinitol and/or chromium to your PWO meal also. That should aide your insulin response.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    You could def add some skim milk PWO as well, if you can tolerate lactose.

Cool, thanks for the info, ill give the rice cakes a try instead for a while and see how i feel off that. Would r-ala serve the same function as the chromium or pinitol??

They'd work synergistically...so stack 'em if you can afford em.

Thread Information