Quote Originally Posted by jsimon
    Im bulking and here are my numbers

4080 calories
    594 carbs
    310 protien

This is from 7 meals a day...
    Quote Originally Posted by Austex
    Originally Posted by Austex
    No offense bro, but @ 185 lbs. and 6'2"...on this diet I wouldn't expect to see you gain 5 pounds of quality muscle. I personally would drop about 100-150 grams of carbs from that diet and instead get those lost calories from healthy fats. PROTEIN AND CARBS (ALONE) WILL NOT HELP YOU GAIN WEIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    But some how Fat will??? Where the fvck are you getting your info bro?
    No dude, eat up! That guy is a buffoon.
    Really? And that would make you what??? Ignorant maybe!? I can search for five minutes and find this information. Don't run your mouth until you understand the facts. I'm not here stating my experience/opinion to see how many posts I can rack up. His diet is upside down and I wanted to share some information which will save him a lot of time. My ADVICE to him is that he will not see the gains he would expect with his current diet. I can judge this right off the bat by TWO KEY NOTES.

1. His height and weight, which determines his body composition (body type is obviously an ectomorph). This relates to low body fat percentages and a higher metabolism.

2. The macro calculations were the sore thumb of it all. No fats. 58% of total calories were derived from a carbohydrate source. 30% of total calories were derived from a protein source. The protein content was fine. The carb content is TO HIGH. Consuming to many carbs is just like consuming to many fats. The body converts excess carbs to STORED FAT!!! Both carbohydrates and essential fats are necessary for muscle repair/growth.

Here are a few informative resources I looked up.

2. Carbs- carbohydrates are a very helpful macronutrient when you are trying to gain lean mass. However, carbohydrates are only useful if they are used at the correct times. In my opionion carbohydrates are only necessary for 3 meals of the day. These meals include breakfast, your PWO Shake, and your PPWO Meal. Your breakfast and PPWO meals should be comprised of slow burning complex carbs that are low on the glycemic chart. Some good examples of low glycemic carbs are brown rice, yams, and oatmeal. Others may include whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta.

3. Protein- Just like when you are cutting, you need plenty of protein. For bulking, a good rule of thumb is 2-3g of protein per pound of lean bodyweight. You should take in a good portion of your protein in the source of real meals, avoid intaking too many shakes, as real food comes to a better benefit. The list foods with high protein bioavailability is extensive, and I will only cover a few, (Egg whites, Lean steak, Chicken breast, the list goes on forever….).

4. Fats- EFA’s (Essential Fatty Acids) are extremely important in any diet. The list of benefits from taking in dietary fats I extensive and I am not even going to get started on it. I will just say that a diet which includes EFA’s will yield much better results. Good sources of fat are ( Flax Oil, Nuts, Salmon, Olive Oil). EFA

UNoffical "How to Bulk" thread and sample diet...

There are two ways to bulk: A clean bulk (slower, but leaner gains) and a dirty bulk (faster gains, more fat storage if metabolism isn’t fast) The main difference is that on a clean bulk, you NEVER eat carbs and fats together. Milk is bad for this reason. Eating carbs and fats together causes almost all of the fat to get stored instead of used for energy. Don’t eat carbs in your last 2 meals of the day because they get stored as fat while you sleep. Eat at least 40g protein with every meal, and make meals either protein/fat or protein/carb.

Try eating 300g protein, 400g carbs, and 150g fats.

Hardgainer? Can't gain weight? READ THIS!!!

a very high carbohydrate meal can actually lead to a blood profile that looks like you just ate a high carb and high-fat meal!

since we all know that essential fatty acids are so important to health and favorable body composition, eating protein and carb meals all day will prevent the ingestion of healthy fats. And that's no good.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi42.htm

Fat is an important nutrient, the extent of which was discussed in the aforementioned article. Fat is also responsible for aiding the digestion of large amounts of protein. Look at the Biological value of an egg as opposed to only the egg-white. Eventhough the yolk is made up of fat, minerals and vitamins it adds a phenomenal 9 points to the BV index. Why? Because the fat allows you to get more of the protein into your system.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/catcommand.htm

THIS IS A MUST-READ...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/idssports3.htm

Macro Listing...4080 calories/day claimed

594 carbs x 4 = 2376 cals, 58% carbs

310 protein x 4= 1240 = 3616 cals, 30% protein

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    No one is questioning whether or not he needs fats. Why don't you go an read where I among others suggested it. So thanks anyways. You also said to drop total carb intake to 100-150g for an ECTOMORPH like YOU stated. Carbs would have a much greater inmpact in him gaining mass than fats that replaced the carbs. No shit he needs EFA's that should be obvious to anyone. Perhaps you should read when I said that 12 cans of Tuna a day won't cover his daily Omega 3-6-9 requirements or did you skip over that part. 100-150 of carbs while BULKING for an Endo is a terrible Idea. He's fine eating what he's eating in terms of carbs. In case you didn't know Bulking means taking in eating excess of all 3 macros the grow. But guess what macro causes the most singnifcant Insulin realease of the course of an entire day? Hmmmm, carbs do. What do you want circulating when bulking, hmmmm, insulin. Insulin increases the translocation of GLUT-4 receptors in the Fed State, allowing cellular uptake of Amino's as well as glucose for muscle builing and repair. Not to mention that it also suppresses any Proteolysis at all. So when you say eat les carbs and more fat to help you grow it make you look stupid. I'd suggest instead of regurgitiation other peoples writings and posting them up in here you take the time to learn this shit for your self, then you may have a chance. Your BB.com articles are great!!! And the fact that you said milk is a bad choice because of carbs and fat together further lets me know where you are coming from. SKIM, ever heartd of it. Also no Carbs 2 meals before bed, dude you really are something. You just keep thinking that.

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    Austex, nice job of cut and paste, impressive.

I mean he could at least tired to hide it a tad.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    in austex defense he didnt tell him to eat 100-150g carbs/day he said to lower his carbs with 100-150g carbs and replace that with fat. That would still give him like 450-500g carbs/day(If I remember the original ammount right).

Austex is offline Member
    That would be correct Johan.

Austex, there is no reason at all I can't admit when I'm wrong. I'm totally wrong here and I called you out and it was me who was being the dumb ass. I apologize and you did give Jsimon good advice! Again bro, sorry about that!

jsimon is offline Associate Member
    man im confused as F***, what am i supposed to do? what is the final conclusion. I dont know what norphoo w/e the hell that means but I am an EASY gainer and an EASY loser.

I personally would go 30% Pro 50% Carb 20% Fat

So thats 3,200 cals

240g Pro
    400g Carb
    71g Fat

this post by giantz is a good layout to run with. So go with that.

Austex is offline Member
    Not a problem Giantz! I can understand if my post may have been confusing on the carbs. Glad we're on the same page now!

NOW, jsimon...

Start your diet off as Giantz suggested <3200 calories/day>. Here is my advice to add to his suggested macro profile: For future reference and as a general rule of thumb, this is a good average for converting grams to total calories:

proteins and carbs = 4 calories/gram
    fats = 7 calories/gram

If you find that the total kcals/day are not sufficient enough for your body type, I would increase the total kcals/day by 100 calories. NOTE #1: This increase is PER DAY! You do not want to jump from 3200 calories to 4000 calories overnight. The best way to do this is to slowly increase your total kcals taken in over a set amount of time. So if you decided to increase to 4kcals, it would be done over a matter of 8 days. NOTE #2: Giantz protein recommendation seems sufficient enough. If anything, you could take it up to say maybe 270 grams/day. The daily calorie increase should consist of extra carbs/healthy fats! If your protein intake is sufficient enough to overcome your expended energy, you typically do not need to alter the protein consumption. Successful dieting (bulking and/or cutting) consists of a LOT of trial and error. Every body responds different. All we can do is point you in the right direction so you will hopefully in turn know what needs to be done in order to make your gains. With that being said, best of luck and post an update in the next few weeks.

Oh, on another side note...about the 5 pounds you gained in the first week...use that merely as an ego boost to push more weight! When entering your digestive system into a new/different environment (starting a new diet), your body will be in "shock" at first. That 5 pounds is going to be an increased water retention and a fuller stomach/intestine Once your body has adapted...if you gain 1 pound of lean muscle mass per week, you're on the right track!

TADOLFI is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsimon
    man im confused as F***, what am i supposed to do? what is the final conclusion.
    I can see your point. There is a lot of good info here and if you examine each post separately you'll see the base laid out for you. I would only add that you keep a journal for the first two - three weeks so that you can see for yourself what is or is not working (the smallest things can make the biggest difference).

Good Luck Brother.

Alright,

But from my calculations I thought I needed 3400 a day to maintain my current weight??? 3200 seems a bit low??? im at 191LB right now. thanks for all the help.

Also on non-training days how much lower should it be.

3,4OO to maintain I doubt that unless you are very very active.

I just checked some stuff and you could be around 3,200 for maintenance, so yeah it probably a good bet to up your cals a bit. I'd say shoot for 3,500 - 3,600. Do that for a week and see where you are. Bulking and Cutting is not an exact science, you have to play around till you find what works. No one but you can tell you how many cals are good, there are far too many variables involved. Go with a moderate number above your BMR, if you don't put on weight, up the cals. If you gain too much fat drop the cals. You gotta be in tune with your body for this to work though! You have a good blueprint here with all the info that has been thrown on this thread.

alright, thanks. So this is what I have concluded.

Im gonna shoot for around 3500 calories......and If Im not gainining 1-2LB a week Ill just up it 100 calories a week. Im gonna shoot for 400-500carbs a day and between 250-300g of protien and 70-100g of fat

Dude, there you go! YOur destiny is in your own hands. Now go get huge!

ando is offline New Member
    i'll give u a few things to think about, i study nutrition at university. first of all 30% of your daily calorie intake should come from fats, 10% saturated, 10% mono unsaturated and 10% poly unsaturated. instead of buying flaxseed oil which is quite expensive you can cook your chicken in olive or canola oil, and 2 things i would highly recomend is including oily fish such as salmon and tuna, and nuts such as walnut, almond and peanut in your diet. also u dont need to go overboard on the protein, you dont need anymore than 2g/kg body weight per day, any excess doesnt get turned to muscle but will be used for energy or stored as fat, the same goes for any excess cals. obviously you want extra cals in your diet to gain weight but im sure you know protein is prob the most expensive way to go about it, and too much will put strain on your kidneys. its good your eating veges but dont forget the cals in them, especially in things such as potato and sweet potato. i could go on for ages but basically just keep your diet varied and healthy, dont be scared of fat, and remember that any calories whether from protein, fat or carb have the potential to be stored as fat.

Quote Originally Posted by ando
    i'll give u a few things to think about, i study nutrition at university. first of all 30% of your daily calorie intake should come from fats, 10% saturated, 10% mono unsaturated and 10% poly unsaturated. instead of buying flaxseed oil which is quite expensive you can cook your chicken in olive or canola oil, and 2 things i would highly recomend is including oily fish such as salmon and tuna, and nuts such as walnut, almond and peanut in your diet. also u dont need to go overboard on the protein, you dont need anymore than 2g/kg body weight per day, any excess doesnt get turned to muscle but will be used for energy or stored as fat, the same goes for any excess cals. obviously you want extra cals in your diet to gain weight but im sure you know protein is prob the most expensive way to go about it, and too much will put strain on your kidneys. its good your eating veges but dont forget the cals in them, especially in things such as potato and sweet potato. i could go on for ages but basically just keep your diet varied and healthy, dont be scared of fat, and remember that any calories whether from protein, fat or carb have the potential to be stored as fat.
    I agrre with almost everything except the below.

canola oil is the worst ****ing source of fat known to mankind. Its processed junk junk junk. At first look it looks ok but when considering the process required to even get that filth into bottles I would stay away from it, FAR away from it. Even mentioning it in the same sentance as olive oil is a gigantic insult to olive oil.
    Flax oil sure aint expensive considering only 10 grams or so is needed. Going overboard with omega 3 aint a good idea. I would think a 10/15/5 ratio betwen sat(animal, butter, mct), mono(olive, avacado, nuts) and poly(flax, fishoil). Would be ideal.
    To much polyunsaturated fat can increase LDL oxidation and thin the blood to much. Bulk of the fat from monounsat fats and sat fats is wiser.

High protein is never a bad idea. Maby we dont need it but its thermic effect is far higher than carbs or fat so less has the potential to be stores as fat.
    Maby it can strain the kidneys but show me one study proving it can damage the kidneys.

Kcal in veggies is pretty much neglectable(except the potatoes you mentioned). I mean they after all usualy only have 5-10% carbs so around 40kcal/100grams. Thats nothing compared to meats, pasta, rice. A much better kcal source than pasta and rice aswell since its so low gi and so high in micronutrients and phytochemicals. I would rather se that he is carefull not to overdo rice, pasta ect while eating as much veggies as humanly possible.

The 3 last rows in your post is the best thing I have read for ages and something every person on this board should repeat to himself over and over again.

this is rougly how they process most cocking oils(flax oil and extra virgine oil is the exceptions and the only 2 oils I would use realy).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information