Ajax is offline Senior Member

Trouble Eating Enough. What Foods Digest Fastest?

This topic came up in another thread and I think it's a topic worth discussing more in detail.

When I am on a bulking cycle, I find it hard to eat enough quality food. Some times it feels like I just can't fit any more food in and that prevents me from being able to get al the quality food that I would like to eat.

I live in Thailand and I have noticed that whnever I eat Thai food (you know, meat & veggies stir fried, over rice, noodles, etc.) I can eat a big meal--and eat another not too long after it.

You know the old saying: "eat rice and you are hungry again in an hour."

If I eat a steak and potatoes (or hamburger, or pizza), I am stuffed for a few hours.

So, what foods do you find are conducive to eating massive amounts on a bulking cycle? I would limit it to quality foods and let's skip "protien shakes" 'cuz that's too obvious!

My list of fast-to-digest bulking foods:

Rice
    Noodles
    Stir-fried dishes (Thai, Chinese etc.)
    Yogurt
    Mostly egg white omelettes
    Tuna sandwhiches on whole-wheat bread

What else works for you?

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    I buy Swansons chicken breast in a can for fast meals
    It's 300 cal & 55g protein in a can.
    I usually sautee onions and mushrooms in a 1/2 Tblspn of flax oil and 1/2 Tblspn of olive oil which bumps the calories up well over 400. Since the chicken is chopped up in the can & it digests faster than big chunks of meat, every time I eat it I'm hungry again in about an hour. Cook up two cans and you got 800+ calories within a couple of hours

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    Thanks for starting this thread ajax! Hey Pheedno, that's exactly the kind of information I have been needing! Thanks! I have never even looked at those cans of chicken. Will now though.

peace,

ttgb

NightOp is offline Member
    Good thread. I have the same/similiar problem. I try to eat as many whole food meals as possible (versus the protein shakes) but I often find that my stomach fills up before I eat as much as I want to (not that I'm hungry, rather I'm tryin to take in more calories but can't fit them ). I'm told the stomach grows/expands if you fill it often (which I do) but I still can't peak over 3500 clean cals per day unless I eat every 2 hours... I prefer to eat every 3.5 hours.

I few things I've found to work nicely (don't know how fast they digest) is that sardines in a can don't really fill me up and provide an easy source of good fats/protein. Like Ajax listed, noodles are good too (carbs of course).

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    I literally gag on my food sometime at end of day I am so full. Especially trying ot bulk on clean calories. Digestive enzy. work ok and seem to help some. Or if on cycle low dose of t3 25mcgs or so, keeps get more food in and out bit faster.

Trianon is offline Associate Member
    I was just thinking about the same problem today, since I cleaned out my diet, I can eat 700+ cals in one sitting and still get hungry in 2 hrs..
    I fight hunger by chugging water, it speeds up metabolism and is better for skin

Originally posted by Trianon
    I was just thinking about the same problem today, since I cleaned out my diet, I can eat 700+ cals in one sitting and still get hungry in 2 hrs..
    I fight hunger by chugging water, it speeds up metabolism and is better for skin
    Bro, I think our problem is opposite of yours. What are you eating to get 700+ calories in one meal and still getting hungry 2 hrs later? I eat, get full too fast and then don't get hungry for 4 or 5 hours later. I try to eat a few hours later, but I can only cram so much food in without almost losing it. Please share what you are eating.

peace,

ttgb

Babyweight is offline Female Member
    Originally posted by tryingtogetbig

Bro, I think our problem is opposite of yours. What are you eating to get 700+ calories in one meal and still getting hungry 2 hrs later? I eat, get full too fast and then don't get hungry for 4 or 5 hours later. I try to eat a few hours later, but I can only cram so much food in without almost losing it. Please share what you are eating.

peace,

ttgb
    IMO, its the water like Trianon said. It makes my metabolism scream. I drink so much water inbetween meals if not all day, & I'm starved every 2 hours, no matter what I eat. And I eat very big healthy meals.

I guess I did misunderstand you guys, sorry...
    I mostly rely on chicken, tuna, lean beef, lean pork, cream of wheat, oatmeal and the like... I can eat 2 chicken breasts, 8 egg whites, 12 oz of oats, salad and shake and still be hungry in 2hrs, stuff must be going thru me like water. Example I gave is my breakfast. then I eat two cans of tuna, later 10 oz steak with brown rice, some fresh tomatoes, 1lbs of fish... weird, but sometimes I feel like stuff is evaporating inside. I drink 3 whey shakes a day in addition to it. Ahhh... My food bill is killing me...

DC24 is offline Junior Member
    I buy Swansons chicken breast in a can for fast meals
    It's 300 cal & 55g protein in a can.

That's what I'm talking about I eat a can of chicken and a big ol bowl of brown rice everyday for lunch. I forget who makes it but you can buy a frozen bag of brochili (sp) chesse and rice and mix ya chicken in with that to....... very yummy

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    trinon i am jelous i wish i could put away like that.

Trianon: Thanks for giving examples bro. Have you always eaten like this or did you have to "train" yourself to eat so much. I have had many people tell me that you have to "train" yourself to eat, just like learning everything else I guess. I am sure trying, but it sucks feeling stuffed all the time and then having to eat some more on top of it!

Babyweight: I am drinking at least a gallon and a half ed right now, so I'll try bumping it up to 2 gallons a day to see if that helps. Sure won't hurt anything that's for sure (well, even more trips to the little boys room is all). Thanks for the input!

peace,

ttgb

TTGB: I think I always was like that, but before I was eating more junk and fatty food, so it would stay in my stomach longer and providesatiety feeling, but now with clean diet(based around lean souces of protein and complex carbs) I feel like I have a nuclear reactor in my belly. Before I could easily put away a medium deep dish pizza in one sitting, just that I don't eat pizza anymore. I guess I am training myself to eat, just in a different meaning, quality over quantity...

I'll have to check out the correlation between how fast I digest & water intake. Good suggestion Trianon/BabyWeight

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    I had a thread up a couple of days ago that delt with this topic to some degree. "Hardgainers part 2 the skinny bastard diet" Go check it out and read the article lots of good info plus an interesting outlook on things

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Also another thing to consider. When you wake up in the morning your eyes are awake but your metabolism hasn't had it's wake up call yet. Before you scarf down your solid breakfast, Chug-and I do mean chug down 2-3 glasses of ice cold water to give your metabolism that wake up call. Then eat your normal breakfast. Yes, after a 2-3 glasses of water and a full meal before leaving the house you will feel stuffed but it gets better the more you do it, and it speeds that metabolism up

A_Nice is offline Associate Member
    My first suggestion is to stay away from anything greasy or heavy because they are more filling and you won't eat much after a big meal like that. Eat clean

Secondly, when I first started eating 6-8 meals a day everything EXCEPT breakfast, lunch, and dinner were small portions or snacks. As my body got used to the frequency of my meals I was able to eat larger and larger portions for my "snacks".

Listen to your body, as your metabolism speeds up you will be able to digest your food at a faster rate, thus taking in bigger, more frequent meals. Try that.

Thanks for all the responses and keep 'em coming!

NightOp is offline Member
    Originally posted by Babyweight

IMO, its the water like Trianon said. It makes my metabolism scream. I drink so much water inbetween meals if not all day, & I'm starved every 2 hours, no matter what I eat. And I eat very big healthy meals.
    Years ago I read in a muscle and fitness mag that drinking too much water with meals can cause less of the food to be utilized... is this true? or could it be a reason why you feel hungry after eating 2 hrs before? I have no clue, and have always wondered if it was true.

Thread Information