Thread: Mercury in Tuna

BigLittleTim is offline Senior Member

Mercury in Tuna

How worried should I be about the levels of Mercury, Lead, Cadmium, and other heavy metals that are increasing in fish like Tuna and Salmon?

It's so easy to eat a can of tuna for some quick protein, but the Dept. of Health says, for example, a pregnant woman should not eat more than ONE can of tuna PER MONTH! How about a bodybuilder eating three cans per day?!

-BigLittleTim

24labor is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLittleTim
    How worried should I be about the levels of Mercury, Lead, Cadmium, and other heavy metals that are increasing in fish like Tuna and Salmon?

It's so easy to eat a can of tuna for some quick protein, but the Dept. of Health says, for example, a pregnant woman should not eat more than ONE can of tuna PER MONTH! How about a bodybuilder eating three cans per day?!

-BigLittleTim

Out of all the fish tuna has the least mercury in it. I wouldn't be too concerned about it unless you were having a lot of tuna each day, but taking I beleive it is 5000mg at of vitamin c will counteract the metals in the body there was a thread about this a while back and Johan hit the hammer on the head, check for it

takedownII is offline Member
    don't trip man, there's nothing to worry about. I put down a lot of tuna in a day (4-5 cans) and so does many other people in this sport. you would of heard of something by now. you're fine.

Tkdwn II

Girlyman is offline Associate Member
    *chunk lite has the least amount of mercury in it if you are worried, just look up the symptoms of mercury poisoning and stop eating it when you are dying

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    just look up the symptoms of mercury poisoning and stop eating it when you are dying
    haha

if ur taking enough vitamin C (10 grams @least ED) no need to worry bout mercury....

Thanks for the info.

Now, how do you make it taste good?

BigLittleTim

dans is offline Junior Member
    Check This Out:

http://www.gotmercury.org

It is a calculator that will let you know if you are getting too much mercury in your diet through seafood.

Well, by the mercury-calculator, if I eat more than three (3!!!) small cans (6 oz. each) in a week, then my mercury exposure is "HIGH", ie. over 200% of the F.D.A. standards for health.

I think it's just GREAT that you can't even eat something healthy anymore because of all the SHIT we (ie. Large Corporations) are pumping into the environment. Mmmmm! Mercury Tuna Casserole!

With Mad-cow disease, heavy metals in the fish stocks, chicken and pigs pumped full of anti-biotics and drugs so they don't die in the mega factories and hoggariums of big agrobussiness... What are we supposed to eat? Protein shakes?? Always and forever, forevermore???

-BigLittleTim

bigtraps is offline Member
    [QUOTE=BigLittleTim]Well, by the mercury-calculator, if I eat more than three (3!!!) small cans (6 oz. each) in a week, then my mercury exposure is "HIGH", ie. over 200% of the F.D.A. standards for health.

I think it's just GREAT that you can't even eat something healthy anymore because of all the SHIT we (ie. Large Corporations) are pumping into the environment. Mmmmm! Mercury Tuna Casserole!

With Mad-cow disease, heavy metals in the fish stocks, chicken and pigs pumped full of anti-biotics and drugs so they don't die in the mega factories and hoggariums of big agrobussiness... What are we supposed to eat? Protein shakes?? Always and forever, forevermore???

-BigLittleTim[/QUOTE
    Guess maybe we all should have been alcohlics instead of BB - maybe we would be better off.

Is there any mercury in Scotch? Probably, by now.

-BigLittletim

ToTheBuckeT21 is offline Senior Member
    I don't know if anyone saw it but they had one of those public report things on the news tonight that it is recomended that noone should eat more than 1 can of tuna a week!!.. apparently its worst then what we thought

IronAdam is offline Member
    I just gave a urine sample today to have it tested for mercury. In the last year I have developed asthma, allergies, chronic head aches, constant lethargy, depression, anxiety, short attention span, acne, unusual weakness etc. (I had none of those problems before I got serious about bbing and eating tuna ED) I started eating tuna 2X a day about a year and a half ago and have done so almost every day up until 2 days ago. From what I have read, everyone reacts to methyl mercury (fish mercury)differently...and just because you don't feel like your going to die doesn't mean that dangerous levels of mercury aren't building up in your body. I'm almost hoping that I test positive for high levels of mercury so I can figure out what has been going wrong with my body recently. If the FDA reccomended dose of 6 oz/week is accurate then I'm way beyond that...I entered my info on that site and came up as %1500 of max dose.

I'll report back when my test is done (about this this time next week). But I just thought I would post my personal experience first, as it seems like the mentality among most BBers is that eating it every day is perfectly fine when it should really be avoided. Theres to many other forms of protein out there to be eating an excessive ammount of tuna.
    Last edited by IronAdam; 11-23-2005 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 24labor
    ... and Johan hit the hammer on the head, check for it
    i believe its nails which get hit on the head, by the hammer

TR'05 is offline Member
    yes spittin, it most certainly is the nails which get hit on the head....

but, on to the mercury in tuna. Definately report back Adam, i am curious to see how the tests come back. I am currently eating two cans of tuna a day, being a firm believer that mercury in tuna really isn't much to worry about. But, im never one to not take my health seriously, and while I seem to doubt that your symptoms are from the tuna, id rather be safe than sorry.

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    well i consume 10-12 grams of vit c a day and 600 mg of alpha lipoic acid with my pwo shake so i dont think i have anything to worry about...and yes i eat 2 cans of tuna a day, everyday.

IronAdam is offline Member
    For those who aren't sure what the symptoms of mercury poisoning are, here is a list:

The symptoms of mercury poisoning may be varied and numerous. The following is a comprehensive list of the symptoms associated with chronic mercury poisoning.

Heart problems

Heart/chest pains - Arythmia (irregular beat)
    Angina
    Tachcardia (heart racing)
    Heart murmur
    Low blood pressure
    Abnormal EKG
    Endocarditis
    Partial heart block
    High blood pressure
    Heart attack
    Unexplained elevated serum triglyceride
    Unexplained elevated cholesterol

Skin Problems

Unexplained rashes
    Excessive itching
    Red flushes of color
    Rough skin
    Acne (pimples)
    Severe dermatitis

Nervous Disorders

Belle's Palsy
    Multiple Sclerosis
    Shingles
    Epilepsy/convulsions
    Nervous Tension
    The shakes of hands, feet, head, etc
    Twitching of face or other muscles

Digestion

Diverticulitis
    Ulcers
    Crohn's disease
    Graves Disease
    Indigestion
    Diarrhea
    Bloated feeling after eating
    Heartburn
    Poor appetite

Blood Disease

Mononucleosis
    False positve for venereal disease
    Cancer
    Leukemia
    Hodgkins disease
    Other types

Endocrine Problems

Diabetes
    Ovaries
    Tipped uterus
    Overweight
    Thyroid overactive
    Cervical erosion
    Underweight
    Mensturation-painful, too often or too seldom/ stopping without reason

Emotional

Sudden anger
    Depression
    Wish you were dead
    Despondancy
    Irritability anxiety/nervousness
    Suicidal tendencies

Annoying Symptoms

Frequent headaches
    Noises in your ears
    Ringing in your ears
    Hissing in your ears
    Chronic eye inflammation
    Chronic fatigue
    Swollen lymph nodes
    Sweat excessively or not at all
    Hearing problems
    Cold hands and feet
    Motion sickness
    Slow he****g
    Leg cramps
    Dizziness
    Frequent nightime to urination
    Urinate frequently during the day
    Insomnia
    Tired when awaken in the morning
    Trouble making decisions

Allergies

Metal
    Fabrics
    Soaps and detergents
    Food Sensitivities (especially to milk and eggs)
    Environmental Sensitivities

Diseases

Rheumatoid arthritis
    Bursitis
    Tennis elbow
    Painful joints
    Friedrecih's ataxia
    Asthma
    Osteomyelitis
    Psoriasis
    Sickle cell anemia
    Kidney stones

HEAD, NECK, ORAL CAVITY DISORDERS

Bleeding gums
    Alveolar bone loss
    Loosening of teeth
    Excessive salivation
    Foul breath
    Metallic taste
    Burning sensation, with tingling of lips, face
    Tissue pigmentation (amalgam tattoo of gums)
    Leukoplakia
    Stomatitis (sores in the mouth)
    Ulceration of gingiva, palate, tongue
    Dizziness/acute, chronic vertigo
    Ringing in the ears
    Hearing difficulties
    Speech and visual impairment
    Glaucoma
    Restricted, dim vision

The safe limit for a 198 lb person according to the EPA is 1 can (6oz) per week of white albacore and 1 can per 3 days of chunk light.

Now...take me for example. 2 cans (12oz) X 7 = 84oz. On top of that, its all white albacore which I used to eat because chunck light tastes like ass.

I was just like everyone else here thinking "Oh, I can't get poisoned from tuna..." but I wish someone would have posted some facts up rather than just saying "Oh you'll be fine". To those of you who are concerned about mercury (which you should be) I suggest you do some research before telling everyone that eating 2+ cans a day is ok.

Austex is offline Member
    Throw the tuna away and buy chicken...my stocks will go up

Thread Information