scm007 is offline Associate Member

Nutrition/exercise/supplements? for parents

Hey guys, my parents are getting older now, and I know that if they don't start now (might already be too late) then they will never be able to start. Anyway, I'll give you some stats and health report and see if you can help me. I would really appreciate it. Also, try to make the diet/exercise not super hardcore as they have other stuff going on in their lives and can't be extremely dedicated.

First, my mom is 50 and in pretty good health, she swims like 2 miles 4 times a week. She is like 145lbs, 5'8 or something. She is trying to lose fat, and should probably put on some muscle. What do you recommend?

My dad is 54 and not in very good health. He is currently taking pregnozone for rheumatory arthritis, as well as some prescription high blood pressure medicine. I think his joints could benefit a lot from some lighter resistance weight training. Also if there are any supplements or diet choices that could truly benefit his arthritis, that would be perfect. And I know his BP could be lowered with some supps and with cardio. Anyway, he is like 5'11 200lbs, overweightish. What do you recommend considering his physical condition?

I really would appreciate this, they've kind of given up their dream of sailing because of my dad's condition, and he has pretty much given up trying to get into shape. He goes to the gym maybe 3 days a week but only does really light cardio, like walking, and really like resistance training using machines.

Thanks again.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    I'd say for both of them a really good Multi Vitamin is a great place to start. NOW makes a line for both men and women called ADAM and EVE replectively. Very good vit. If you dad has inflamation problems I'd suggest some sesathin and fish oils (for mom too), these would be great. For High blood pressure, get some celery Seed great great BP supp. Also some anti-oxidants, Vitamin-C, ALA, Grape Seed Extract.The only othe rthing I'd suggest is maybe some green tea extract, just because its a great great supps for overall health.

Hope this helps.

fitnessguy is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    I'd say for both of them a really good Multi Vitamin is a great place to start. NOW makes a line for both men and women called ADAM and EVE replectively. Very good vit. If you dad has inflamation problems I'd suggest some sesathin and fish oils (for mom too), these would be great. For High blood pressure, get some celery Seed great great BP supp. Also some anti-oxidants, Vitamin-C, ALA, Grape Seed Extract.The only othe rthing I'd suggest is maybe some green tea extract, just because its a great great supps for overall health.

Hope this helps.
    Great choice of supps. Giantz.
    could also through some glucosamine chondroitin (maybe even with MSM). <-- GC really helps with the joints...

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Good call, that would most def help with joints etc...

lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member
    all those supps are good choices, and for workouts if neither are extremley dedicated then just have them do a circut workout in the gym. basically goin to a bunch of different machines to work all the muslces in one workout with short breaks in between sets...also cardio is a must, this will help him with his endurance during the workouts but more importantly lose fat and lower bp...

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    as said before glucosamin would help. Megadosage of vitamin c(start him at 5grams and up it do 10-15 grams) could very well help the joints aswell. If I dont remember wrong the b vitamins lower blood pressure. Vitamin e is good for the heart.

Tell him to eat more live food. Sprouts, raw veggies and stuff like that its suposed to do wonders for arthritis. Also tell him to read "the selfhe****g human" by Sanna Ehdin. its not a bullshit book I promise.
    http://www.ehdin.com/SannaEhdin.html

Thread Information