Why do people say they're bulking when they're diet is for cutting?

Too many people get anal about off season and/or bulking. Constantly I hear " dont want to lose my abs" or "I'm still doing cardio 6 days/wk" or this other nonsense. When your cutting your cutting, and when your bulking, you have to be straight up pounding calories. If you cannot accept blurry abs, increased bodyfat, or not hearing as many compliments about your abs year round, you will never have what it takes to look like a bodybuilder. All you will ever achieve is the look of a Calvin Klein underwear model. Almost all pics of bodybuilders are taken in their contest mode when they're at their most ripped. I just dont understand how some people can achieve size w/ their proposed diets. Such as only 2 chicken breasts/day, 1 can of tuna, 1 serving rice, and 1 serving oats, w/ maybe some flax oil or natty pb in there. Protien is a big factor, but calories have to come first in a bulking diet.

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    i had to put on 25 total pounds to keep 12 of them for stage purposes....being a fat a phobic i felt crappy at times, but then i realized that i was eating for a purpose...you have to put all things aside if you really want to add muscle.

exactly

Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    i dont mind losing my abs, or increased body fat but i don't like to bulk eating anythign i want, i'd rather gain as juch mass as [possible with the least amount of fat gains..i do cheat as opposed to when i'm cutting and have a "cheat day" when i bulk i have a "cheat meal"everyday..usually taco bell or a huge philly steak and fries....but the rest of my meals are chicken breast (about 4 a day) eggs (dozen sometimes 18 a day) 4 cups of rice, a sweet potato, lond broil..i get my calories just cleaner..when i eat like shyt i feel like shyt..but for the most part i eat all the same foods just in bigger portions add a cheat meal, and do cardio 1-2 times a week as oppsosed to 5-6

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Some gain more lean muscle w/more weight gained, some can add the same muscle w/far less fat. It's really all about knowing how you grow and not over-doing it for the sake of being sloppy and eating junk food. I have to watch carbs all the time no matter what, or they really mess up my appearance. I know a lot of people who are no where near like that and eat whatever, but they still aren't even 1/2 my size muscle wise.

~SC~

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    I believe that when bulking you do have to eat. But you also don't have to take the all out approach, a carefully planned and clean diet you can gain solid mass with minimal fat gain. You just have to know your diet and body to a t. You should know the the exact point in which excess cals are being converted to fat rather than muscle and you should stay a touch below it.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Yup!!!!!

~sc~

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    Too many people get anal about off season and/or bulking. Constantly I hear " dont want to lose my abs" or "I'm still doing cardio 6 days/wk" or this other nonsense. When your cutting your cutting, and when your bulking, you have to be straight up pounding calories. If you cannot accept blurry abs, increased bodyfat, or not hearing as many compliments about your abs year round, you will never have what it takes to look like a bodybuilder. All you will ever achieve is the look of a Calvin Klein underwear model. Almost all pics of bodybuilders are taken in their contest mode when they're at their most ripped. I just dont understand how some people can achieve size w/ their proposed diets. Such as only 2 chicken breasts/day, 1 can of tuna, 1 serving rice, and 1 serving oats, w/ maybe some flax oil or natty pb in there. Protien is a big factor, but calories have to come first in a bulking diet.
    dude, their is a difference beteween an endomorph vs ectomorph type metabolsim. Back when i was in highschool, i got my bench up to 300 eating like 100 grams of protein a day with to much junkfood. it just goes to show you some dont need the calories to make gains, and for them, doing what you said would be overdoing it and gaining pointless fat when they it would be of any benefit.

i believe in getting lean, accepting blurry abbs, eating big, making dramatic muscle gains as fast as possible while curbing/avoiding fat gain with off day cardio, carb cutoffs, fatburning supplements. even when bulking, unless you are a twig with a ferrari type metabolism, i dont care, no excuses for not doing off day cardio.

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    Quote Originally Posted by IronReload04
    dude, their is a difference beteween an endomorph vs ectomorph type metabolsim. Back when i was in highschool, i got my bench up to 300 eating like 100 grams of protein a day with to much junkfood. it just goes to show you some dont need the calories to make gains, and for them, doing what you said would be overdoing it and gaining pointless fat when they it would be of any benefit.

i believe in getting lean, accepting blurry abbs, eating big, making dramatic muscle gains as fast as possible while curbing/avoiding fat gain with off day cardio, carb cutoffs, fatburning supplements. even when bulking, unless you are a twig with a ferrari type metabolism, i dont care, no excuses for not doing off day cardio.
    jmo.

But I think we all get the point you were trying to make. And I agree, some guy that's 6'5" 135 pounds has his macro's broken down etc... etc...and he's getting like 2,000 cals and then throws in I'm also on 500mg Test E, etc....

Some people, mainly hardgainers need to ditch all that BS and just eat anything and everything.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Yup. There is going to be a huge difference between my bulk and my cut. Most likely double, possibly triple the calories, in clean foods. Its gonna get expensive as hell, but I'm working on that. I already have a proposed bulk diet planned that I will start mid January.
    I agree ss, a lot of threads lately have their bulking diet layed out, and its like 2,500 calories. I dont know about anyone else, but I'm going to take advantage of eating a lot whenever I get the chance, cuz thats one thing I love to do.

Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Yup. There is going to be a huge difference between my bulk and my cut. Most likely double, possibly triple the calories, in clean foods. Its gonna get expensive as hell, but I'm working on that. I already have a proposed bulk diet planned that I will start mid January.
    I agree ss, a lot of threads lately have their bulking diet layed out, and its like 2,500 calories. I dont know about anyone else, but I'm going to take advantage of eating a lot whenever I get the chance, cuz thats one thing I love to do.

Fat ass

Don't we all!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpup101
    i dont mind losing my abs, or increased body fat but i don't like to bulk eating anythign i want, i'd rather gain as juch mass as [possible with the least amount of fat gains..i do cheat as opposed to when i'm cutting and have a "cheat day" when i bulk i have a "cheat meal"everyday..usually taco bell or a huge philly steak and fries....but the rest of my meals are chicken breast (about 4 a day) eggs (dozen sometimes 18 a day) 4 cups of rice, a sweet potato, lond broil..i get my calories just cleaner..when i eat like shyt i feel like shyt..but for the most part i eat all the same foods just in bigger portions add a cheat meal, and do cardio 1-2 times a week as oppsosed to 5-6
    so you have a cheat meal almost everyday when bulkiing? i mean as a bad ecto i can understand that, just never heard anyone admit it before.

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Some gain more lean muscle w/more weight gained, some can add the same muscle w/far less fat. It's really all about knowing how you grow and not over-doing it for the sake of being sloppy and eating junk food. I have to watch carbs all the time no matter what, or they really mess up my appearance. I know a lot of people who are no where near like that and eat whatever, but they still aren't even 1/2 my size muscle wise.

~SC~

i feel ya on the carbohydrate dalima SC, i have the same problem weather in bulking or cutting it down my carbs dont cange much i just add in more redmeat and all natty PB, mmmmmm, and i hear the ret of you guys on the blurry abbs, so what you cant be ripped all the time IMO to much stress on the body to stay so lean for so long, I have just recently got serious about my diet this year, i got my six pack then i got my 8 pack but after about 5 months of having such a low BF i begain to feel super shitty so i new it was time to bulk it up my goal is to 200 with undder 10 % bf hope to be there by march 06' im only 22 and havnt touched aas yet i still feel im makeing gains fine on my own but we will see soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat

~SC~

He's got a good point right here, everybody is different. I dont necessarily do "junk foods" when I'm bulking, maybe 2 bad meals/wk, but it's more along the lines of things such as macaroni and cheese, cornbread, peanuts, maybe a bagel here and there w/ cream cheese. It's not all out shit like Taco Bell or Pizza everyday. I did that last winter and it got me strong as hell but just threw on way too much excess, hard to diet down. I'm not as strong as I was last winter, but I look alot better and actually bigger. I look bigger at 235 this year than at 245 last year if that makes any sense. One thing I like doing is eating alot eod, then eating maintenance wise the opposite days. I feel it gives my body more time to utilize the foods, and I actually have more energy on my maintenance days, but I know I get what I need to grow on my carb up/ calorie up days. It's something new I've been trying out, works great so far.

Superballer is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    I believe that when bulking you do have to eat. But you also don't have to take the all out approach, a carefully planned and clean diet you can gain solid mass with minimal fat gain. You just have to know your diet and body to a t. You should know the the exact point in which excess cals are being converted to fat rather than muscle and you should stay a touch below it.
    Giantz how do you know when you reach that point?

Simply through trial and error?

Quote Originally Posted by Superballer
    Giantz how do you know when you reach that point?

Simply through trial and error?

A good way to know your at this point is you have constant fatigue from excessive eating. The kind of fatigue where you dont even want to go train. Just my .02

chest6 is offline Banned
    Arm fatigue from moving up to your mouth so often...thats it

[QUOTE=chest6]Arm fatigue from moving up to your mouth so often...thats it[/QUOTE

If over eating doesnt fatigue you, then why the hell does everybody pass out on thanksgiving?

chest6 is offline Banned
    if over eating was fatiguing..I would be asleep my whole life.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Arm fatigue from moving up to your mouth so often...thats it

If over eating doesnt fatigue you, then why the hell does everybody pass out on thanksgiving?
    I don't pass out..i ask for seconds..thirds ...and fourths

I echo your main point tho SS.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    My body type sucks ! I am 5'6, was 150 soak and wet but then i decided to eat. I was eating cloes to 4,000 calories a day which i know is a lot but i was pissed i wasnt growing. I would buy full chickens for lunch/ brown rice. At home ate big bowls of whole wheat pasta with shrimp / lean beef all that crap. My body will only go to 165lbs before it starts adding fat and less mass After that i lowered the calories but i stayed at 165lbs which i was really happy with since i thought that once i stopped eating like that i was going to deflat back to 150lbs. Mind you i was eat very clean and bulking , chicken , eggs, lean beef, steak, nuts, PB (good kind) blah blah .....

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    I believe that when bulking you do have to eat.
    NO WAY DUDE! GET OUTTA HERE...

24labor is offline Anabolic Member
    I agree bulking is bulking but clean bulk is the way to go for me. I lose my abs and put a little fat on usually in the stomach where most fat on men goes, but I now I can lose it when I decide to cut. Most people wanna bulk to impress but dont want to lose definition, o well if I out on some fat my body type can get rid of if pretty quick

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkeezy04
    NO WAY DUDE! GET OUTTA HERE...

Trust me when I say this. This is a revaltion to some.

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    Trust me when I say this. This is a revaltion to some.
    haha i dunno dude ill try it out and see if it works for me

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    I have been cutting for so long i am excited about my first bulking experience yet terrified in a way becasue i am scared i might look fat.lol

I know...i know...i have a complex.

Thread Information