DrunkenTiger is offline New Member

side effect of fat burner

This is my first post to the board.

I've been on a diet for about 4 months now and only lost ~6lbs. I think the weight loss is stalling. So I'm looking for an alternative and that's fat burner. Hydroxicut and Xenadrine seem to be the popular ones. What's the side effect of taking them though? I did some search on this forum, but none really explains the downsides of taking it. I try to be natural as possible, but running 3x a week for 4-5 mils doesn't seem to be enough.

any help would be appreciated.

the original jason is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    well i would suggest u need to look into ur diet as well as adding this, side effects are something like a little wired feeling, like excess caffeine nothing to much for me just make me feel good can be addictive but im an addictive person and im ok with them. Diet is more the key you should be able to lose 4lb in about 2 weeks with good diet cardio and some fat burners

peace

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Listen to the OJ on this one. It really sounds like you need to develop another diet. Post some details of your diet now and some of the other members and I can help you develop a diet more in tune with fat burning.
    ECA stack will help as well,but I would wait to add one to your regimine until your diet is in place as well.

DrunkenTiger is offline New Member
    my typical diet:
    My typical diet:
    am: Total cereal with nonfat milk. green tea
    before lunch: a fat free yogurt.
    lunch: 6 inch subway turkey sandwich.
    afternoon: an apple.
    before work out: flaxseed oil, some carb like 1 slice of peanut butter bread.
    post workout: protein shake. rice, meat

I have a cheat day usually on Saturday, where I eat a hamburger or something. I take creatine and protein, I wonder creatine is cause of the stall as it retain water in your body.

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Kill the creatine. Not good for cutting.

the original jason is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    yeah kill the creatine, revise your diet to about 6-8 meals per day what is ur body weight and bodyfat?

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod
    Sides of fat burners.
    Outside of the obvious, you are raiseing your heart rate as well as your body temperature. This in part is not all that bad but there are some things that you need to know before taking in such a diet aid.

1st- They can be very addicitive and after taking them for awhile they will require larger doses to feel the same effect.

2nd - It only goes to say that if you have ever had any type of heart related problems or high blood pressure you do not need to take ANY type of diet aids such as this.

3rd- If you have ever had any type of seziure disorder you should not take this as well.It will only aggrevaite an already existing medical condition.

The common misconception about these is that most will question the concept of raising ones natural heart rate. When one is invloved in a cardio type program, TRUE their heart rate does increase. But what is one of the main side effects of such behavior? They begin to breath more rapidly and their body temperature increase. Along with this rapid breathing they are taking in enough oxygen to fuel this excess work load. The excess O2 will bind or stick to the fat molecules in your body and with a increased work load and with your body temperature raised, the fat cells will litterally be "burned off" due to the highly volitile properties of O2. This is entirelly a different process while taking a fat burner. True the heart rate does increase along with the body temp but it is imporatant to know that this HAS to be supllemented with the proper cardio routine as well. And yes I'm sorry but lifting weights does not classify as cardio. The fat has to be burned off and without the sufficient workload one is mearilly just increaseing ones heart rate which over time does have numerous health related problems.( Especially if you are allready overweight and have an inceased heart rate which is common amoung many who have excess bodyfat)

So why should we take them to begin with? Well they can have a very positive effect on the intensitity of the cardio routines. This is offend the case once one has pushed their cardio routines to what they believe is their maxium output. Just be careful and remember that there is no cure all around a well though out cardio routine and as every one else has already mentioned a well balanced diet.
    IC
    Last edited by Tobey; 05-20-2002 at 06:17 AM.

jeffylyte is offline Member
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    yep look to diet. also be sure to get adequate glutamine as it will aid in preventing muscle loss. i advise to stay away from anything with HCA or aspirin. The good data are just coming in and suggest that neither does anything for you and HCA isnt good for you to boot. Just a straight ephedra/caffeine stack should do. it will likely make you nauseus at first with maybe some muscle cramping and jitters with loss of sleep. The best way to counteract this is to start low dose and ramp up. It worked for me anyway.

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Diet looks pretty good--maybe to extreme. To few calories will shut your body down and make it harder to burn anything.

The other part of the equation: Cardio!

What kind of exercise are you doing to burn calories? If you diet & don't exercise, your metabolism slows down to match the diet you are on; cardio breaks that loop.

wild-one is offline Female Member
    Originally posted by DrunkenTiger
    my typical diet:
    My typical diet:
    am: Total cereal with nonfat milk. green tea
    before lunch: a fat free yogurt.
    lunch: 6 inch subway turkey sandwich.
    afternoon: an apple.
    before work out: flaxseed oil, some carb like 1 slice of peanut butter bread.
    post workout: protein shake. rice, meat

I have a cheat day usually on Saturday, where I eat a hamburger or something. I take creatine and protein, I wonder creatine is cause of the stall as it retain water in your body.
    You're really not eating enough calories for your size. Dropping calories too low will only result in slowing your metabolism. If you want to lose w8 you need to bump your kcals up a bit. You're also not getting enough protein. W/ this diet, whatever you're losing is likely LBM.

Try to get protein in every meal, and I'm not talking just from milk or yogurt....get 40-45g of quality lean protein from beef, chicken, tuna, eggs, turkey, shakes, etc.

You're also eating a lot of sugar...try switching your carbs sources from yogurt and milk to things like oats, sweet potatoes and brown rice.

jeffylyte is offline Member
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    another thing, ephedra might help prevent catabolism. I seem to remember a study a while back, but I dont have the reference on me right now. glutamine is a must.

Neo
    Neo is offline Senior Member
    I took Xenadrine for a while. When I stopped taking it, I got really intense headaches. It was painful but the Xenadrine worked well otherwise.

Thread Information