LAGMuXle is offline Member

Carb and Fat placement throughout the day

Hey bros,

Was in a discussion with a certified ACE trainer locally here, and he mentioned that consuming carbs earlier in the day (morning, early afternoon, and one pro/carb meal right after your workout) is the way to go for the best fat loss. He mentioned that if you eat carbs much after 6pm there is a greater risk of them being stored as fats. This didn't pertain specifically to either cutting or bulking, he said it is a general rule that might be considered in any diet.

Any opinions on this? I feel it is neccesary to have two carb meals after you lift such as:

Workout

PWO Pro/Carb

PPWO Pro/Carb

Pro/Fat before bed

Let me know your thoughts...

MuX

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    yeah thats pretty general aruond here

i like to have pro/fat in morning after cardio though helps me maintain a lipolytic state.
    i go
    cardio
    pro/fat
    pro/fat
    pro/carb
    lift
    pwo
    ppwo
    and either BED or a flax/whey shake w/ fiber in it

Tai,

Thats where I stand as well.

The trainer I spoke with said it should go something more like this:

Cardio
    Pro/Carb
    Pro/Carb
    Pro/Fat
    Lift
    Pro/Carb
    Pro/Fat
    Pro/Fat
    Bed

My day goes as follows:

Cardio
    Pro/Carb
    Pro/Fat
    Pro/Fat
    Pro/Carb
    Lift
    Pro/Carb
    Pro/Carb
    Pro/Fat
    Bed

FranKieC is offline "AR's Pretty Boy"
    I usually do

Am Cardio

Pro/Carb
    Pro/Fat
    Pro/Carb
    Pro/Carb
    Pro/Fat
    Pro/Fat

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    I really wish that the rumor of carbs before bed would be dropped. The ACE certified guy is a moron. I'm sorry, but carbs after 6pm is nothing but Voodoo nutrition. The is no special cut off time for carbs, and they do not have some magic ability to make you fat, its all BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    I really wish that the rumor of carbs before bed would be dropped. The ACE certified guy is a moron. I'm sorry, but carbs after 6pm is nothing but Voodoo nutrition. The is no special cut off time for carbs, and they do not have some magic ability to make you fat, its all BS.
    wait wait .. what if.. your a TYPE 1 Diabetic.. and u have carbs.. after 6pm when ur outta insulin and u have a major sugar craving?! ah.. not even PETER GRIFFIN kan anzr dat one!

True true, if you are Peter Griffin you should just hop into the Peter Chopter and fly your self to the ER. Or take the HindenPeter.

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    if the trainer is refering to his ACE education to inform you then i whouldnt listen to jack shit hes got to say

I never thought that Carbs before bed were an issue either.

Thanks for the input guys, and Giantz, no worries - I don't like to make judgements based upon mythical reasoning; I will only follow through with ideas when I have more solid explinations or proof. Your input is helpful as always.

MuX

Quote Originally Posted by LAGMuXle
    I never thought that Carbs before bed were an issue either.

Thanks for the input guys, and Giantz, no worries - I don't like to make judgements based upon mythical reasoning; I will only follow through with ideas when I have more solid explinations or proof. Your input is helpful as always.

MuX

You have to understand the digestion of carbs. They are not some sort of evil food that makes you fat. Does your metabolsim slow down at night, sure it does when you go to sleep, no question. This is when the carb haters really shine. Since your metabolsim slows, you can't eat carbs because they'll be stored as fat, right? Wrong, its so stupid, it almost ridiculous. Carbs are oxidized far faster than fats and the process in actually turning a carb into stored triglycerides is far more complex than you think and actually is harder to do than turning dietary fat into stored fat. Carbs need to be broken down into mono/polysaccharides etc... and then re-arranged to form triglycerides. So the notion that carbs are bad and fats are some how good is ridiculous. Now I'm not saying don't eat fats or carbs before bed, truth be told it depends on what you did and what you need. But please spread the word and lets put this awful rumor to rest, because it is some bullshit some ass wipe started a long time ago and some how still gets spread.

xtinaunasty is offline Female Member
    You have to understand the digestion of carbs. They are not some sort of evil food that makes you fat. Does your metabolsim slow down at night, sure it does when you go to sleep, no question. This is when the carb haters really shine. Since your metabolsim slows, you can't eat carbs because they'll be stored as fat, right? Wrong, its so stupid, it almost ridiculous. Carbs are oxidized far faster than fats and the process in actually turning a carb into stored triglycerides is far more complex than you think and actually is harder to do than turning dietary fat into stored fat. Carbs need to be broken down into mono/polysaccharides etc... and then re-arranged to form triglycerides. So the notion that carbs are bad and fats are some how good is ridiculous. Now I'm not saying don't eat fats or carbs before bed, truth be told it depends on what you did and what you need. But please spread the word and lets put this awful rumor to rest, because it is some bullshit some ass wipe started a long time ago and some how still gets spread.
    brilliant!

Words of wisdom. Thank you Giantz.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    bump so everyone can read that last part...

very true wat giant sed..
    the only reason u dont do carbs before bed unless its ppwo is to avoid a crash in the BG.
    thus fats are used on the norm to prevent this and help put the body into lipolysis much faster to ensure much safer calori expenditure during sleep.

KingMike is offline Associate Member
    Cardio
    P/C
    P/F
    P/F
    P/F
    Lift
    P/C
    P/C

My intensity lifting is S$*! now that I took my P/C meal away 2 hours before lifting. Does anyone have P/F all day leading up to P/C a few hours before lifting?

KingMike,

I could not argue that having a pro-carb before your lifting would negatively effect your diet or results.

Simply put: you need to have energy to burn it, so, that said; Eat carbs before you lift so you have energy to work out.

It my experience, eating a Pro/Fat meal before lifting would cause me to be almost counter productive in the gym. I would lose energy faster, lose stength quicker in my sets, and burn out easily. Thus, leaving me with an hour wasted in the gym.

Just some thoughts.

MuX

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    People w/insulin issues however do have to watch what they eat carb wise, as do ectomorphs who have a naturally slower metabolism. They are sensitive to all foods in getting fat, yes, but heaven forbid you should get an ectomorph who has insulin issues. I see the problem as not really carbs before bed for those who do it, but it's the amount of carbs the person has eaten over the course of the day ( and other calories) that also matter. Then you have some that just have a higher propensity for storing fat from starches. Some people are more efficient at storing carbs as fat than others are, their body just does not use all the energy.

I myself stay away from carbs in my last two meals, but that's just something I've found that indeed does work very well for me. I use vegetables, yes, but I avoid starch.

~SC~

Thread Information