Question What is your limit for tuna per week?

i am basically worried about the whole mercury thing. i know chunk light tuna has the least amount and that what i eat. sometimes i eat 2 cans before bed with some flax. sometimes i sub one can for some cottage cheese. anyway, what should be the most tuna one should eat per week? i do take 500mg vitamin C with the tuna because ive read that it helps with the mercury or whatever, but dont know why. anyway, any help is appreciated, thanks

http://www.ewg.org/issues/mercury/20...calculator.php

the FDA says i can only eat about 3 can light tuna per week? should i treat these as guidelines or very safe figures?

Anthony C is offline Associate Member
    I eat tuna all the time like 4 cans a day .Im tierd of it now so Im switching to ckn breast .AC

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    i eat a can a day...

FranKieC is offline "AR's Pretty Boy"
    I am getting sick of this ish. First the Bird Flu now Tuna. i think this is a big conspiracy against Body Builders lol

heres a story, not to try to scare anyone, just see what u think. my buddy used to eat 3 cans a day, yeah i know its seems like a lot. he would complain about being at work and not being able to concentrate and he would forget small things that he normally would have no problem remembering. also he said he woul dget depressed sometimes, no he was not juicing anytime close to this time, as i know it can cause mood swings leading to depression. anyway, my aunt is a dentist and she always had dentist magazines lying around and i would look at them sometimes. there were articles about mercury poisoning with dentists. my aunt said dentists have the highest suicide rate out of any other occupation because they work around a lot of mercury and it leads to depression and that other stuff i mentioned. so i told me friend about this and he quit eating tuna. after a while he said he felt much better all the time. maybe this affects some people differently than others, just thought id share it with yall, later

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    i eat tune like its going out of style man, my record is like 36 cas in one week right now im bout down to 2 cans a day, but when its crunch time i eat tuna and egg whites !!!

palumbo is offline Member
    i eat three cans a day no problemo at least not yet lol wait what was i talking about again

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    i eat like 5 cans a day right now....switching to chicken next week, but i dont think it's a big deal.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Id say dont eat 5 cans a day year round and drop tuna for a few months everynow and then. But I dont think there is any serious cause for alarm. It would be good to get tested now and then though for levels of heavy metalls.

LAGMuXle is offline Member
    I eat 4 cans a day some days. I alternate with steak, chicken, and other fish meats. Just depends on the day.

I don't see a problem with it... I haven't heard that Chunk Light was the least amount of Mercury? I eat albacore. I can't stand chunk light. Something about it just tastes funny to me.

stocky121 is offline VET~ Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    i eat a can a day

TR'05 is offline Member
    Two cans per day. As for the mercury content in tuna, I was under the impression that the one meal per week was in regards to fresh or frozen tuna.

Most canned tuna is taken from waters in the Atlantic and Mediterranean where mercury levels in the water is not a problem. The case if Canada, i know, is that the rule of one meal of tuna a week/ once a month for pregnant women does not apply to canned tuna.

WHOADY4SHOADY is offline Senior Member
    3 cans a day here, Im cheap.

diesel21 is offline Member
    whenever i fell sick of it... all that mercury is a buch of BS

timtim is offline Member
    mercury poisoning is very real. with all the other protein sources available it seems silly to completely discredit evidence of polluted fish and waters just to get a protein source.

Tiftan090 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spittin' 'n cussin'
    heres a story, not to try to scare anyone, just see what u think. my buddy used to eat 3 cans a day, yeah i know its seems like a lot. he would complain about being at work and not being able to concentrate and he would forget small things that he normally would have no problem remembering. also he said he woul dget depressed sometimes, so i told me friend about this and he quit eating tuna. after a while he said he felt much better all the time. maybe this affects some people differently than others, just thought id share it with yall, later

On top of mercury you can get ciguatoxin from it which stays in your body for years. If you get ciguatera the symtoms can be like depression and chronic fatigue. Albacore is supposed to be low risk for ciguatera, skipjack is usually the culprit for ciguatera from canned tuna.

Thread Information