xenithon is offline Member

Fruit, bread - Any good?

Hi there guys,

i have been trying lately to cut out sugary carbs and stick to wholemeal breads, pasta, muesli etc...its been working out fine.

i just wanted to find out about fruit. i know that they are pretty much 100% sugar in terms of their nutritional profile, so i would just like to know how many fruits should i limit it to and also if its bad having them at night / before bed.

and one more question

why is bread said to be so bad?? i know its high in carbs, but ppl say you musn't touch the stuff! looking at it from a nutritional point of view it looks quite brilliant:

for about 3 slices (about 100g here) i would get about 50g good qualtity carbs, 2g fat, 5-8g protein, 5g fibre. of course it differs per bread, but a decent wholewheat bread is roughly like that. is there something i am missing in all the labels?? anything which makes pasta or oats better, or more importantly, anything which makes bread the enemy of mortal man like o hear so many ppl saying?

thanks yall!

MarkyMark is offline Member
    Well first of all give us an idea of what your goal is and current eating habbits ...ok ?

As far as bread is concerned ...hmmmm I don't have the time to write an article .... But ..... Whole grains and others can be quite good for you ... for a number of reasons , however, Bread is high in calories and high in carbs ... If a person was dieting this food alone could hinder them from losing the desired weight . thinking I am really not eating a whole lot when as you stated a couple sandwiches with normal bread would be just with 4 slices 400+ calories 16 grams of fat ... and the carbs 100+ grms ... this is a whole lot when your cutting carbs to 150 or less ..... There is plenty more that can be said and I will let others bring some of the other ones out ...
    Hopefully this will aid your understanding ....
    good luck

xenithon is offline Member
    hi there,

thanks for the info. i am 20, 6', 186lbs. Just trying to build up some lean mass. as i was saying i just wanted to check about the actual nutritional info - if there is anything i am not seeing i know if you wanna cur carbs you will have less bread - just like the fact you'd cut pasta also. thing is, i just want to know what makes 100g of bread 3000000000 times worse than 100g pasta, which so many people say. (pasta is just a basic example). for example its like 50g carbs vs 70, 2g fat vs 1.5g, 8g protein vs 11g, and 7-8g fibre vs 2-3g. (bread vs pasta). so if you are looking for a midday or mid morning carb source, is bread really that bad??

thanks for the help!

MarkyMark is offline Member
    Well if you are trying to gain...... These foods are very good .... Leaning out is the biggest concern with these foods ... Try and watch your over all calories to best discern whether or not your eating enough or too little ... Watch your fats and try not exceed 20% if possible ... drink plenty of water .... key to gaining and losing...... Try and eat your calories not drink them with the likes of juices and sodas ( not protein shakes mind you ) ... Watch heavy weight gain formulas wich have high sugar content or way too many carbs .... alot of things trade carbs for fats so be mindful of your choices ...good luck

Thread Information