DNoMac is offline Senior Member

Baking Soda to reduce Lactic Acid

Does anybody do this before a workout? I read that if you take ~300mg 1-3hrs before a workout, in counters lactic acid buildup. Thought it sounded interesting, but wasn't sure if many people have tried it. Anybody?

WHOADY4SHOADY is offline Senior Member
    Never heard of that? Got any links?

Myka is offline Made Of Sugar
    I would like to know more about this but...

I thought lactic acid was just a sign that your body had "had enough"...seems like you would not want to do away with this...

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Yes it can act as a buffer and prevent lactic acid build up, its not allowed in the olympics etc...

Sodium bicarbonate and sodium citrate: ergogenic aids?

Requena B, Zabala M, Padial P, Feriche B.

Department of Physical Education and Sport, University of Granada, Spain. [email protected]

Numerous studies have used exogenous administration of sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO(3)) and sodium citrate (Na-citrate) in an attempt to enhance human performance. After ingestion of NaHCO(3) and Na-citrate, two observations have been made: (a) There was great individual variability in the ergogenic benefit reached, which can be attributed to the level of physical conditioning of the subjects and to their tolerance of the buffer substance; and (b) the subjects who had ingested NaHCO(3) and Na-citrate show higher levels of pH, bicarbonate, and lactate ions concentrations in their exercising blood than do the subjects who had ingested the placebo. A majority of the studies have suggested that the ingestion of both substances provides an ergogenic effect due to the establishment and maintenance of an elevated pH level during exercise. However, the exact mechanism by which the ergogenic effects occur has not been demonstrated conclusively. Sodium bicarbonate and Na-citrate seem to be effective in activities with a sufficient duration to generate a difference in the hydrogen ion gradient, characterized by a very high intensity and involving large muscular groups. However, in activities of equally high intensity, but with longer duration, the results obtained have been conflicting and inconclusive.

Effects of induced metabolic alkalosis on prolonged intermittent-sprint performance.

Bishop D, Claudius B.

Team Sport Research Group, School of Human Movement and Exercise Science, The University of Western Australia, Crawley, WA, Australia. [email protected]

PURPOSE: Previous studies have shown that induced metabolic alkalosis, via sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) ingestion, can improve short-term, repeated-sprint ability. The purpose of this study was to assess the effects of NaHCO3 ingestion on a prolonged, intermittent-sprint test (IST). METHODS: Seven female team-sport athletes (mean +/- SD: age = 19 +/- 1 yr, VO2peak = 45.3 +/- 3.1 mL x kg(-1) x min(-1)) volunteered for the study, which had received ethics clearance. The athletes ingested two doses of either 0.2 g x kg(-1) of NaHCO3 or 0.138 g x kg(-1) of NaCl (placebo), in a double-blind, random, counterbalanced order, 90 and 20 min before performing the IST on a cycle ergometer (two 36-min "halves" of repeated approximately 2-min blocks: all-out 4-s sprint, 100 s of active recovery at 35% VO2peak, and 20 s of rest). Capillary blood samples were drawn from the ear lobe before ingestion, and before, during, and after each half of the IST. VO2 was also recorded at regular intervals throughout the IST. RESULTS: Resting plasma bicarbonate concentration ([HCO3-]) averaged 22.6 +/- 0.9 mmol x L(-1), and at 90 min post-ingestion was 21.4 +/- 1.5 and 28.9 +/- 2.8 mmol x L-1 for the placebo and NaHCO3 conditions, respectively (P < 0.05). Plasma [HCO3-] during the NaHCO3 condition remained significantly higher throughout the IST compared with both placebo and pre-ingestion. There was a trend toward improved total work in the second (P = 0.08), but not first, half of the IST after the ingestion of NaHCO3. Furthermore, subjects completed significantly more work in 7 of 18 second-half, 4-s sprints after NaHCO3 ingestion. CONCLUSIONS: The results of this study suggest that NaHCO3 ingestion can improve intermittent-sprint performance and may be a useful supplement for team-sport athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by NewKid
    I would like to know more about this but...

I thought lactic acid was just a sign that your body had "had enough"...seems like you would not want to do away with this...
    Lactic Acid is a byproduct of anaerobic glycolysis. The breaking down of glycogen into ATP for fuel when oxygen is not available. It simply becomes painfull or harmfull inthe way of your activty when its prodcution exceeds the rate of its removal. Hence sprinting for a long time gets quite impossible. One you take a rest, lactic acid goes down and you are ready for another go at it.

Mealticket is offline Senior Member
    ya it works...but it's taken 45 minutes before competition............i'll look up the ratio but it's fuking disgusting to drink.
    My freind does it and it's good for a couple tenths off his kilo time.

Would this be plausible to do before every workout? Doesnt seem like it.

Lactic build up is far more promenant in doing longer activities. Lifting, would not really require this, as it taxes the ATP/CN system more so than the anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mealticket
    ya it works...but it's taken 45 minutes before competition............i'll look up the ratio but it's fuking disgusting to drink.
    My freind does it and it's good for a couple tenths off his kilo time.
    Cant be much worse than flax oil? Can it?

Thanks Giantz, can always count on a response followed by a good explanation, study, ect. I came across it in a Contemporary Nutrition book.

Giantz-do you have links to the websites you find all of these studies? I've tried PubMed but find it difficult to narrow the searches to my area of interest. Thanks again

Search Sodium bicarbonate Lactic Acid in Pubmed, you should get plenty. Let me know if you don't.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Yes... I have done it. I used to drop Sodium Bicarbonate in my water bottle during exercise and I have also added it to Creatine mixtures (or prior to taking it) for better uptake by neutralizing stomach acids in the stomach that can destroy the Creatine. Exercise and a lot of calories can make your stomach quite acidic... which hurts your stomach's nutrient absorbtion ability...

Baking Soda is a rough way to Bicarbonate load... find some asprin-free alka seltzer. The Alka Seltzer's effervecent action makes sure it gets completely dissolved - swallowing a chunk of Baknig Soda could cause major problems in your stomach... if you use Baking Soda, make sure you let it sit long enough to dissolve.

Sodium Bicarbonate is probably the cheapest and effective supplement out there. When the IOC found out athletes were Bicarbonate loading they wanted to ban it - but it got thrown out - cuz that would ban all baked goods!

Did you notice any differences when using sodium bicarbonate? I think I might try this for a few weeks and see how I respond.

Quote Originally Posted by DNoMac
    Did you notice any differences when using sodium bicarbonate? I think I might try this for a few weeks and see how I respond.
    It was a few years ago - but I do remember being pretty strong/lean then. I used to take an asprin-free alka seltzer prior to Creatine and dropped it in my water bottle while working out. I'll try it again when I go into a heavy strength cycle... I would suggest you at least give it a shot and see what conclusions you can draw from it. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts...

When I take creatine (usually do a cycle like 6 weeks on, 6 off), I try to take it before workouts for energy. Would it be more beneficial to consume it pwo? If i did take it prior, how long before should I consume the alka seltzer and creatine?

I'd shoot for the creatine 30min pre WO

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    It was a few years ago - but I do remember being pretty strong/lean then. I used to take an asprin-free alka seltzer prior to Creatine and dropped it in my water bottle while working out. I'll try it again when I go into a heavy strength cycle... I would suggest you at least give it a shot and see what conclusions you can draw from it. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts...
    was it creatine monohydrate? i have a TON of it and if i start to use it i will try this baking soda thing out...

Baking Soda helps nutralixe the acidic stomach you can get from a combination of high calories and intense training - an acidic stomach hinders proper nutrient uptake (especially Creatine - sodium bicarbonate has helped the creatine non-responders)...

An interesting thing is will sodium bicarbonate hinder exercise-induced GH that accompanies high lactate leves? In other words, if you "buffer" the blood can you stop the favorable hormone and fat-breakdown that accompanies high lactic acid production during training? If this were true - then you would want to work through the pain and only take bicarbonate seperate from your workouts...

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Going to have to try using sodium bicarbonate pre workout. I use it anyway to buffer my ascorbic acid.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    An interesting thing is will sodium bicarbonate hinder exercise-induced GH that accompanies high lactate leves? In other words, if you "buffer" the blood can you stop the favorable hormone and fat-breakdown that accompanies high lactic acid production during training? If this were true - then you would want to work through the pain and only take bicarbonate seperate from your workouts...
    Can I reply to my own posts

Anyway... here is a study from PubMed regarding this issue... indicating that there was no difference in power output but taking an alkaline blood buffer (like sodium bicarbonate) during or pre excercise could blunt the GH increase following anerobic training...

Effect of acid-base balance on the growth hormone response to acute high-intensity cycle exercise.

To investigate the effect of acid-base balance on serum human growth hormone (hGH) concentration after an acute high-intensity anaerobic exercise bout, 10 untrained but normally active men [age, 24.6 +/- 1.5 (SE) yr] participated in a randomized double-blind counterbalanced experiment. Each subject reported in a fasted state at the same time of day for two experimental sessions separated by 1 wk. For each session, subjects were administered a decaffeinated tea solution containing either 0.3 g NaHCO3/kg body wt [alkalosis (ALK)] or 0.04 g NaCl/kg body wt [control (CTRL)] over a 45-min ingestion period. Venous blood samples were obtained before [baseline (BL)] and 75 min after the ingestion period, as well as postexercise at 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, and 30 min. The exercise task immediately followed the preexercise blood draw and consisted of 90 s of maximal-effort cycle ergometry against an opposing force of 0.49 N (0.05 kg)/kg body wt. There were no differences between the ALK and CTRL conditions in mean or peak power output or total work during the exercise task. Whole blood pH was significantly (P < or = 0.05) elevated in ALK above CTRL at all time points except BL. Postexercise serum hGH concentration significantly increased above BL at 10, 15, 20, and 30 min in CTRL and at 20 and 30 min in ALK. The hGH concentration was significantly lower in ALK than in CTRL at 15, 20, and 30 min postexercise. These data indicate that an increase in blood hydrogen ion concentration may be partly responsible for the hGH response to acute high-intensity anaerobic exercise.

kaorialfred is offline Member
    just to add a coach for oly power lifting athletes says he give some alka-sel, baking soda combo to his clients during intense training.

Quote Originally Posted by kaorialfred
    just to add a coach for oly power lifting athletes says he give some alka-sel, baking soda combo to his clients during intense training.
    Might want to show him that study for reference... unless the guy is jacked on exogenous hormones - he might be wasting an excercise-induced GH spike by doing this during a workout...

middistane is offline New Member
    Bicarbonate laoding definately raises blood pH (which shows that it will increase Lactate buffering capacity), but it will tear your stomach up....like diarhea for hours. Also if you read the pubmed article the dosage is .2g (200mg) to .5g (500mg) per kg body weight. Thats like half a box of baking soda...and believe me, it tastes terrible!

Quote Originally Posted by middistane
    Bicarbonate laoding definately raises blood pH (which shows that it will increase Lactate buffering capacity), but it will tear your stomach up....like diarhea for hours. Also if you read the pubmed article the dosage is .2g (200mg) to .5g (500mg) per kg body weight. Thats like half a box of baking soda...and believe me, it tastes terrible!
    For the record, you meant lowers right?

Thread Information