speedtraining is offline Senior Member

Cardio On Empty Stomach

What is the differnce from doing cardio on a empty stomach then doing it with food, why would that burn fat..and wouldn't once you eat your body just try to restore that fat even if you are eating very minimal amounts of carbs no sugar and lots of protien. Basically I want to know what the advantage is indoing cardio in the morning on a empty stomach.

Speed.

bcap is offline Member
    My interpretation - and I know it is not the ONLY reason, as one of them has to do with Glycogen stores, but I know nothing about that, I will leave that up to someone else - is very simple.

When you wake up, you have slept for at least 8 hours (hopefully) and haven't had food for 8 hours. All the food in your stomach has been broken down and sent away to where it needs to go (i.e. nutrients, yada yada). When you then do cardio on an empty stomach, your body needs to get energy from SOMEWHERE, so it takes it off your body - if you are doing lit (65% hr), it'll take the majority off of fat.

That's pretty much the stupid version of the explanation - I think - anyone please feel free to correct me, as, if I am wrong I would like to know the correct response.

Bryan

DirtyDog7 is offline Junior Member
    This should help:

Better to eat b4 cardio in AM?

CARDIO- I need to get a straight answer

I'm on my way to the gym right now on an empty stomach. The tredmill for me is @10% incline 3.2mph. It puts me at 65% to 70%

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    BLAH BLAH

Quote Originally Posted by speedtraining
    What is the differnce from doing cardio on a empty stomach then doing it with food, why would that burn fat..

YOUR BODY HAS AN ORDER OF PREFERENCE OF THINGS IT LIKES TO CONSUME FOR FUEL. ONE OF THE LAST THINGS ON THE LIST IS BODYFAT. AT THE TOP OF THE LIST IS GLYCOGEN. IF YOU HAVE AN EMPTY STOMACH, YOUR GLYCOGEN WILL BE CONSUMED IN ABOUT 20 MINUTES. AFTER THIS, YOUR BODY WILL BEGIN USING BODYFAT FOR FUEL (CALLED LIPOLYSIS). IF YOU HAVE FOOD IN YOUR SYSTEM, YOUR BODY WILL CONTINUE CONVERTING IT (ESPECIALLY CARBS) INTO GLYCOGEN.

and wouldn't once you eat your body just try to restore that fat even if you are eating very minimal amounts of carbs no sugar and lots of protien.

NOT REALLY. FAT CONVERTS VERY SLOWLY TO GLYCOGEN AND GLYCOGEN IS USED TO SHUTTLE PROTEIN TO YOUR GROWING MUSCLES. IN THE WRONG QUANTITIES IT ALSO ADDS TO FAT STORES, SO YOU CAN'T START EATING TRIPLE BACON CHEESEBURGERS. BUT IF YOU EAT "PROPERLY" THEN YOUR BODY WILL NOT TRY TO REPLACE THE FAT IT JUST USED.

A CAVEAT TO THAT IS THE CONSUMPTION OF CARBS AFTER CARDIO. CARBS CONVERT QUICKLY TO GLYCOGEN, WHICH YOUR BODY WILL START CONSUMING - THUS ENDING LIPOLYSIS. LIPOLYSIS CAN CONTINUE FOR AN HOUR AFTER YOU FINISH YOUR CARDIO SO AVOID CARBS AFTERWARDS FOR AT LEAST AN HOUR.

Basically I want to know what the advantage is indoing cardio in the morning on a empty stomach.

Speed.

LOVE,
    THE BAD MAN

Giants11 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by bad_man
    BLAH BLAH

Whoa dude, not trying to call you out here, cause you give alot of good advice. But what you said is completely false.
    "without your word you're a shell of a man" - Tupac

***Giants11 is a fictional character any advice given is purely for entertainment purposes, always consult a physician before taking any supplements, drugs or changing your diet.***

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Giants11
    Whoa dude, not trying to call you out here, cause you give alot of good advice. But what you said is completely false.
    I'm running on zero sleep this morning and I feel like my brain hasn't started, but what about what I said is false?

One last question fellas, what does my heart rate have to be at? 65-70% of what, I want to do this right. Thanks fellas.

Speed.

Quote Originally Posted by speedtraining
    One last question fellas, what does my heart rate have to be at? 65-70% of what, I want to do this right. Thanks fellas.

Speed.
    Your max heart rate:

220-Age = Max Heart Rate.

***Giants11 is a fictional character any advice given is purely for entertainment purposes, always consult a physician before taking any supplements, drugs or changing your diet.***

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I'd do a search on this site for "morning cardio".

You'd be able to read about it all day.

I've written 100's of respones and such on that topic, so I no longer get into the battles here over cardio/when/what types because there is simply no need.

~SC~

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    looks like this post has been taken care of again, whats up with all the morning cardio questions on an empty stomach its beeen debated a million times and people still ask, my advice is if you are ables to do it in the morning then do it, if cannot then do it when you can its better than not doing it at all.

Exactly, beaten down like a red headed step child.

~SC~

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    lipolysis is when fat is in the form of FFA's and begins circulating to be consumed for energy right?

Your max heart rate:

220-Age = Max Heart Rate.
    thanks bro.

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Exactly, beaten down like a red headed step child.

~SC~
    I take some offence to that Swole why's it got to be a redheaded step child

Quote Originally Posted by novastepp
    lipolysis is when fat is in the form of FFA's and begins circulating to be consumed for energy right?
    Yes it is the release of FFA's into the bloodstream. That is it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yes it is the release of FFA's into the bloodstream. That is it. Nothing more, nothing less.
    that's exactly what i thought. too many guys on here think that is the fat expendature which is totally wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by novastepp
    that's exactly what i thought. too many guys on here think that is the fat expendature which is totally wrong.

You can release FFA's from adipocytes all damn day, if you don't do anything to burn them, they will be re-formed back into triglycerides and stored as fat.

You can release FFA's from adipocytes all damn day, if you don't do anything to burn them, they will be re-formed back into triglycerides and stored as fat.
    AMEN! i'm bumping this so bro's can get this straight.

If I ated sum pnuut butrrr curnch with sikm mikl and then did cardoi, culd I stell birn faat?

Thanx guys! Tryign to get thsi donw.

Swole, you tripping me out bro

mwolffey is offline Anabolic Member
    If I ated sum pnuut butrrr curnch with sikm mikl and then did cardoi, culd I stell birn faat?

I dont know...but a couple whoppers might do the trick

no, and the only reason why is because the skim milk has too many added sugars. the peanut butter crunch would be great though IMO.

Is that a real picture of Arnold looking old?

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT

NO SWOL, but peanut butter on grham crackers will. !!

Thanks fro teh hepl gusy!

~SC~

no prob man, hey who is that in your avatar man? looking...swole?!

I like the am cardio hunger feeling.

Before I came here, I thought that diets were suppose to be painful and hard. Like not eating all day and starving yourself.

But now I eat small amounts of food every two to three hours so I'm never really that hungry. My morning cardio is the only time that I feel super hungry and that makes me feel like I'm more dedicated to my weight loss.

That extra hunger pain makes me happy before I start eating my eight meals for the day.

Thread Information