Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: UNoffical "How to Cut" thread and sample diet...

rambo is offline The Lord God

UNoffical "How to Cut" thread and sample diet...

The Cutting Primer
    By rambo @anabolicreview.com

It’s about time we had a decent full length post on cutting…

Let’s get a few things straight…
    1. All of the insights I’m about to provide are not person-specific. What that means is that it is a general guideline, not a bible.
    2. I truly do believe that bodybuilding is 80% diet. You can lift your ass off daily, and still look horrible if you aren’t eating right.
    3. You are what you eat. It’s just that simple.

The BASICS-
    1.Postworkout Nutrition- I’m a firm believer that PWO nutrition is hands down the most important aspect of dieting. It is within the 15 minutes after a workout that your body is in dire need of nutrients. It is a completely anabolic state, and what you take in can be optimized to ensure maximum results. A general rule of thumb is 40-60 grams whey protein, and double the amount of whey in carbohydrates (50% dextrose/50% maltodextrin).

2. Carbs- You are **** right, carbs. In a strict cutting diet the majority of your carbs should come in the form of PWO nutrition, and the remainder in breakfast. Fibrous veggies are a staple, but keep in mind that they don’t count towards intake, as they have negligible impacts on blood sugar levels. (Exceptions: Carrots, Peas) All high glycemic carbs outside of PWO should be avoided. The best sources of low GI carbs can be found in oatmeal and brown rice, as well as yams.

3. Protein- You need tons. 1.5-2.0 grams per pound of lean bodyweight is a good general rule of thumb. You should take in a good portion of your protein in the source of real meals, avoid intaking too many shakes, as real food comes to a better benefit. The list foods with high protein bioavailability is extensive, and I will only cover a few, (Egg whites, Lean steak, Chicken breast, the list goes on forever….).

4. Fats- Guess what? You need fat to lose fat. We are talking about the granddaddy of fats, the EFA (Essential Fatty Acid). Good sources of fat are ( Flax Oil, Nuts, Salmon, Olive Oil).

5. The separation of Carbs and Fats- This is a hotly debated issue, but again, in my opinion, an important aspect nonetheless. Remember that it is often when you eat items and with what you eat them that is more important than what you are eating. A mouthful, I know, but stay with me. Remember that when you take in certain carbs, you can spike your insulin levels. If you are taking in fats when your insulin has been spiked, you are allowing the basic laws of physiology to act out, and you allow for a higher propensity for fat storage. Separation is key. The sample diet will give a good example of how to separate them.

6. Supplements-

Glutamine: Helps prevent catabolism when cutting. Best used in dosages of 10grams daily, 5 grams before cardio, 5 grams at another interval, but not after workout as it fights for absorption with the glutamine peptides in whey.
    ALA/R-ALA- Gets my supplement of the day award. R-ALA is effective in lowering the spike of insulin when certain carbs are consumed. I could give you a dissertation on the stereoentisomeric properties of the R, but all you need to know is that it has been found to shuttle carbohydrates away from adipose and into myocytes. Translation: Away from fat cells, into muscle cells. It’s a supplement, however, not a miracle worker. It’s not a crutch, and won’t do anything about fat intake. ALA and R-ALA can also aid in the expedition of the ketogenic state. Remember that if you buy R-ALA that you supplement it with Biotin. Glucorell-R is prepackaged with it. If you can afford it, go for it. As far as dosage, with the R, you are looking at 1-2 pills of Glucorell R for each 30-40grams of carb intake.
    Protein and Carb Shakes: I’m not going to cover protein, because even if you can’t afford it, you should sell a kidney to get some. Carb drinks are rather convenient, and companies offer pre mixed dosages, (CarboHit, Glycoload, UltraFuel). Dextrose and Maltodextrin can be bought from most supplement stores or online.

www.allsportsnutition.com

7. Cheating- Cheating is essential. Why? Remember, the body runs on homeostasis, it likes to keep balance. After eating so well after a week, your body begins to adjust, and fat loss over time will not be as rapid. The other extremely important aspect is mental sanity. So many diets crash and fail because people don’t give themselves a chance to breath. Remember, cheating is not an opportunity for you to pillage the entire mall food court. Shoot for a cheat meal, not an all out binge. A fast food value meal can be 2,000 calories. Eat that 3 times on one day, and you’ve consumed 6,000 calories. And that’s not good in any case.

8. Cardio- Cardio and cutting usually go hand in hand. I won't go into specifics about length, other than cardio shouldn't be excessive. 45 minutes to one hour daily should be sufficient, and should be performed on an empty stomach.

Sample Diet:
    Note: This is a sample diet for a 200 pound gentleman who is wishing to cut. We can assume his BF to be around 15%. This diet will NOT work for you if those criteria don’t apply to you; however it is easy to customize the below diet to take in account your own statistics. It is the principles that are applicable.. I am not going to post the total amount of calories, only the carb, protein and fat macros for the whole day.

Meal 1:
    Lean Protein, 1/2 cup oatmeal

Meal 2:
    Protein shake/Lean Protein (2 tbsp flax

Meal 3:
    Veggies, Lean Protein

Workout

Meal 4:
    PWO Nutrition

Meal 5:
    Veggies, Lean Protein, 1/2 cup rice or oatmeal.

Meal 6:
    Shake with Flax

That turns into approximately 300 grams protein, 130 grams Carbs, and 50 grams of fat.

*Reminder: This is a PRIMER. It’s not mean to be comprehensive.

Here comes the fun part: Question and Answer….

Q: What about dairy?
    A: If you don’t mind a soft look, fat free cottage cheese is an excellent caseinate source, but as for milks- way too much processed sugar. NO.

Q: Should I do a keto diet?
    A: Unless you are morbidly obese, or would like to drag your wilted muscles behind you, stay away from keto. Again, that’s my opinion. You can see my previous posts for my anti-keto ranting.

Q: What about cycling carb intake?
    A: Obviously on non workout days you will be without a shake, so you will be auto-cycling. It works well that way.

Q: Is sodium an issue?
    A: Outside of the bloating issue, or if you have high cholesterol, no.

Q. How do I make my meals not taste like cardboard?
    A. Be creative. Mix in some sugar free jam or splenda in your oats, some hot sauce or soy sauce on your meats, or pick up some sugar free ketchup.

Q. I don’t like old fashioned oats. Can I eat the pre mixed oats with fruit?
    A. No. Be a man. Those mixes have ridiculous amounts of sugar.

Q. What about fruit?
    A: Fruit replenishes glycogen stores in the liver, and in my opinion, is not to be a staple of a strict cutting diet, with a few exceptions.

Q: Can I eat steak while cutting?
    A: Definitely. Make sure it’s a leaner cut.

And with this post I take a sabbatical. I’d like to thank ~Swolecat~ for his influence, and to thank all of you who may have indirectly annoyed me enough to result in this elongated post. If I missed anything, or am horribly wrong on anything, feel free to PM me, and I will edit it in. Best of luck, and remember…

“Obsessed is a the word that lazy people use for dedicated.”

Happy Holidays,

Rambo

* This was edited to reflect a few changes, and change the title to UN official, as was my original intent
    Last edited by rambo; 04-22-2004 at 05:54 PM.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Kick Ass!

~SC~

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    excellent post!

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Very good post rambo!

Sheek is offline Junior Member
    Great post Brah.

tylerdurden is offline Junior Member
    startin a 9week pre contest diet saturday and this was exactly the kind of post i was looking for,its guys like you that i look up to,helping ppl

cb25 is offline Banned
    **** dude...I can't believe I didn't see this until now...I mean, it's not like it's stuck to the top or anything

now that's what the f*ck I'm talking about!! helluva post!

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    Educational thread PT??? Excellent post Rambo!!
    Last edited by Shredz; 03-15-2004 at 09:09 AM.

sigrabbit is offline Member
    Word up!

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Awsome post **** missed it completely, always miss stickys lol.

Would you mind posting the ammounts of everything in the sample diet. Like how many grams(or ounces or whatever you guys use)each thing consists off. I have NO clue how much half a cup is and what kind of cup you use to messure it lol

crackle is offline Associate Member
    how do you guys measure stuff in Sweden?

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by crackle
    how do you guys measure stuff in Sweden?

well fluids in liter and deciliet and centiliter

weights in grams, hekto(100 grams) and kilograms

then we have messurements like tablespoon and all that crap but dont pay much atention to it, only good when following a recepie when baking cockies or something

zx7racing is offline Senior Member
    i swear- i must be blind not to have seen this till now.... maybe we should have the post-its flashing neon or something..lol

crimson55 is offline New Member
    Nutrition always seems to be a hotly debated topic - thanks for keeping it relevant and cutting out the crap.

humpymuscle is offline Junior Member
    great post.

i always thought keeping sodium low was a good idea so you can help get rid of the water weight. maybe i'm wrong...

i also think staying away from processed/frozen/canned foods is a good idea in general and eating whole/organic/raw foods was also a good way to clean the body of toxins and get some more natural vitamins/energy.

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by humpymuscle
    great post.

i always thought keeping sodium low was a good idea so you can help get rid of the water weight. maybe i'm wrong...

i also think staying away from processed/frozen/canned foods is a good idea in general and eating whole/organic/raw foods was also a good way to clean the body of toxins and get some more natural vitamins/energy.
    i agree about staying away from processed and canned...recently i cut out cold cuts and already see better results, not that they were too detrimental, but you really never know how much additives are in them....also in a pinch if you need to have canned veggies you can rinse them off of most of the sodium (however in a pinch is the key phrase).

also keeping sodium low is a good idea, but as many say if you just drink enough water (i stick with 1.5 - 2 gallons a day) you really wont be affected until you decide to compete.

humpymuscle is offline Junior Member
    i think a good rule of thumb is: if there's more than 3-4 ingredients, and it comes in a package, you can probably find something healthier.

hoss827 is offline Banned
    Badass post ramrod! I mean...Rambo!

--Hoss

QbHunter is offline Associate Member
    this was great. i wish all newbs knew to look for these instead of the countless questions
    blakegains likes this.

homeboybonanza is offline Associate Member
    Yes!

allsaucedup is offline Member
    Thank You For Posting This It Helps So Much

Rampage Jackson is offline Junior Member
    Pimp ass post...This is my first post in a loooooong time, and I was looking to put together a cutting diet (as I need it badly). Long live the Gurus!

diesel21 is offline Member
    good post!

lxorl is offline Associate Member
    looks good, but the sample daily diet only has 3 meals containing food. and one of those is .5 cup of oatmeal..... looks like it would be difficult to make it through the day on that amount of food.

ironfist is offline Elite Hall Of Fame ~ RIP ~
    Heck of a good post bro...

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Thanks for the help bro, this helped alot. Great sticky.

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    I refuse to read this even though it's probably FULL of information I'd find useful because there is certainly something very wrong in the world when you have a sticky all your own while i squander my talent on PS2 and sexual self-fulfillment.

mapkos is offline Junior Member
    Great post, thanks for thr info!

Bcrown1 is offline Associate Member
    Great post, this has helped me alot. Thanks, Rambo and Swole!

ImmmtheIceman is offline Senior Member
    Awesome post. Defintely will be referring to this again when i start cutting in a few weeks.

STUPES is offline Junior Member
    So does this mean on the PWO for my shake say if I have 55grms Protein I need 100grms of dextrose cause you wrote double that seems pretty high?

That's exactly what it means, yes.

Why does it seem high? What are you comparing it to in order to arrive at the figure being "pretty high"?

~SC~

ADEAZEL is offline New Member
    45 minutes of cardio? isnt that to much? wouldnt u b burning muscle? i heard after 20 u burn muscle

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ADEAZEL
    45 minutes of cardio? isnt that to much? wouldnt u b burning muscle? i heard after 20 u burn muscle

For the millionth time DO A SEARCH!!! YOU WILL NOT BE BURNING MUSCLE IF YOU STAY IN YOUR TARGET HEART RATE...

220-age * .7 = target heart rate. Don't cross it and you'll be good to go, no muscle loss.

Mike

hybrid is offline Member
    This is one of the most helpful posts I have read so far. Thanks bro.

UrbanDawg is offline Banned
    i disagree ith eating protein right after the big workout.
    your body needs electrolytes and glucose (sugar carbs etc. ) stuff like oranges, juice or whatever to replentish is forst order of bisiness. Your body is not ready to start reparing that muscle for at least an hour. You need to eat something that is going to give you a bit of an insulin spike to spike the glucose into the muscles. Muscle repair comes later thus the need for protien intake later.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanDawg
    your body needs electrolytes and glucose (sugar carbs etc. ) stuff like oranges, juice or whatever to replentish is forst order of bisiness. Your body is not ready to start reparing that muscle for at least an hour. You need to eat something that is going to give you a bit of an insulin spike to spike the glucose into the muscles. Muscle repair comes later thus the need for protien intake later.
    I don't think I can even begin to point out how many flaws are in your post. Not to even begin with the gibberish in your signature either.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Pearls and swine Rambo...pearls and swine. You can't save everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanDawg

LMFAO! Thanks for the a.m. gut buster!

Oh, by the way, you're totally wrong.

Then again, you praising steroids in your autosignature is not really indicative of you having any solidified dietary knowledge, so you basically back up your post w/your autosignature.

NICE!

~SC~

5211969 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    LMFAO! Thanks for the a.m. gut buster!

Oh, by the way, you're totally wrong.

Then again, you praising steroids in your autosignature is not really indicative of you having any solidified dietary knowledge, so you basically back up your post w/your autosignature.

NICE!

~SC~

Another SwoleCat VICTIM !!! OUCH !!!

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information