Shades McCool is offline New Member

Glutamine - Worth it or not?

Is glutamine worth the money? What exactly does it do and would it be good to use while cutting? Also should I add flax seed oil to my cutting diet because I am taking high protien and moderate fat and low carbs.

Please help me out.

SUPERDAVE is offline Banned
    I never felt a direct affect from the glutamine, but the research is too good to ignore. One thing i noticed taking it before bed was better sleep and more vivid dreams. Maybe its just me but i feel it helpes me with recovery.

BIG R is offline Member
    Shades,

The glutamine is definately worth its weight. I use it when I diet down and it helps retain hard earned muscle better. I spend so much money building mass I want to protect that investment as I cut. I use extra virgin Olive oil, and flaxseed when I diet. If your fat intake goes down so does your testosterone . The rest of your diet sounds good to me.

Big R.

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    I often wonder if any of this OTC stuff is worth it. I mean the eca's the protein all of it

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    Glutamine is deffinitely worth it, some of the research indicates that oral injestion of Glutamine can increase GH output, it's the main energy source for you immune system, while dietin your body is under extreme amount of stress, so if you do not take Glutamine and if your body needs more then supplied trough your diet, it will start catabolizing / breakning down muscle tissue to get the Glutamine it needs. It also induces intracellular hydration, which is very important for anabolism and muscle growth (this is not the same as water retention, this is intracellular fluid within the muscle tissue itself), i know there are some benifits that i am forgetting here, but if this isn't enough to get you convinved to use it, nothing will...Flaxseed oil, extremely good source of Omega-3 fatty acids, if you look at Eskimos they live for the most part on nothing but protein and blubber which is very high in Omega-3 fatty acids, and you barley ever see a fat Eskimo, the fat found in the flaxseed oil regulates whole range of hormon profiles, improves insulin sensitivity (the better the sensitivity the less insulin your body has to release to transport nutrients into the tissues, and that's good) it regulates metabolism, so as you see we got another winner on our hands...i personally take both at all times, bulking or cutting...Good Luck Bro...XXL

tolinka is offline Senior Member
    Is it good to us Glutamine whn your building mass???

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    Nice post mike.....I don't mean to be so negative about things. It for sure is worth it I just get in those moods.

I works for bulking but it is absolutely mandatory while cutting.

You guys are so much help! I really appreciate the input. I went out and got some l-glutamine in capsule form(180 capsules 600mg per capsule) and some flax seed oil.which has 33 servings with 130 calories from fat a serving.

Keep in mind that I am probably 196 lbs and I am 6' tall and that I am cutting pretty hard, how much of each should I take a day and when is the best time to take them?

Thanks in advance!

Oh yeah I am already 10% at most.

I take 5gm of glutamine first thing in the morning, 5gm after training and 5gm right before bed time...so your capsules will not last you long, get the powder next time, much more cost effective...
    As for Flaxseed i take about 2 to 3 tablespoons a day while cutting, that's 30-45 gm of fat which would equate to about 270-405 calories...that's all of my fat intake for the day, i only take my fat from flaxseed while dieting...good luck Bro...XXL

BigPete is offline Associate Member
    How do you take the flaxseed oil?

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod
    I personnally swear by the stuff. It makes up about 65% of all the total protien in your body and if you look closely most protien shakes are loaded with it. More so than any other ingredient.
    IC

I put flaxseed on a tablespoon (15ml) or teaspoon (5ml) and wash it down with Crystal Light, or just put it on your food, some don't like that...and make sure you DON'T heat it or cook with it...XXL

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    I throw mine in a protien shake in the AM and the PM meals

twice a day, one tablespoon each time.
    I like the cold pressed personally, I have heard it is better than caps or room temp.

i have no research on that at the moment though.

search for flaxseed oil 101. i saw a good post on it a while back,

heh just too lazy to search, Hit the gym hard this morning and feeling sick to my stomac hehe yup it was a good workout alright

xzoomzx is offline Associate Member
    if i eat 2 servings of flax oil daily it wont make me gain any fat at all ?.....all 13 grams of the fat in it are clean fat and will not make me gain a pound of fat and ctually help me lose fat quiker?

jeffylyte is offline Member
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    Glutamine is necessary for liver and intestinal function and as Tobey mentioned it is about 65% of muscle protein. For the liver, glutamine should be taken when on any 17 a-methylated AS (along with other stuff). If you dont have enough free glutamine around when your intestines need it, your body breaks down muscle to get it. As it is a main part of muscle, if you dont get enough, you dont build muscle its that simple.

YOU SHOULD ALWAYS TAKE GLUTAMINE!!!! If you get too much whoopdeedoo, you body will dispose of it (actually excess glutamine can lead to formation of toxic side products, but ive never heard of any problems from this) too little and bye bye muscle.

I find that at night and mixed with my after workout shake are fine for me. there have been reports of other protein sources limiting absorption of glutamine, but at least it cant hurt. at the very least, only glutamine after workout will not do much as the body cant build muscle with glutamine alone, so a broad spectrum protein profile along with carbohydrates should be taken. I actually used to take ~50g free form aminos with glutamine (for faster uptake) and carbohydrates but that got expspensive, although probably (not based on any literature) the best.

protein shakes are usually loaded with glutamine peptides (a bound form with other amino acids. they enter the blood through slightly different mechanisms). anyway, you should definitely supplement as meat and most other long chain peptides containing glutamine have extremely poor bioavailability (which is why although meat is 65% glutamine you cant just eat some and get it... that and cooking). It easily converts to glutamic acid but not vice versa

hope this helps

neverenuff is offline New Member
    I put FLAX on my salad instead of olive oil, i like the taste actually....

Pembo is offline Junior Member
    Glutamine is a body builing essentail to prevent muscle catobolism. However taking it with protein is useless because the receptor that picks up glutamine in the small intestine is filled with other amino acids in the presence of protein so absorption is impossibe. Hence take it on an empty stomach first thing in the morining and just before training. Glutaime on an empty stomach first thing in the morning when doining cardio (cutting) is of primary importance.

I have experienced good recoveries from glutamine, but like SUPERDAVE said, you can't feel a huge difference in strength or size (because that really isn't what it does) so you can't get motivation to stick to it unless you really need it.

10wheeler is offline Associate Member
    i take glutamine before i sleep is this ok 1000mg?

xzoomzx is offline Associate Member
    thatsonly 1gram bro,.,,,,,,,,you should take at least 5 at least plenty of people take 10 espicially since you only have it at night

Pheedno is offline Respected Member

BLAAAAAH

Originally posted by neverenuff
    I put FLAX on my salad instead of olive oil, i like the taste actually....
    How in the hell did you ever aquire a taste for that shit. I dread gulping that down in the morning. I have to hold my frickin nose to put it down.

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    I have resorted to putting a tablespoon into some sugarfree lemonade.

Like 3 oz or something. the lemon is the last thing i taste believe it or not.

10wheeler is offline Associate Member
    5 tabs a day all at once? or all throughout the day

Thread Information