ascendant is offline Senior Member

whey protein has poor absorption?

from a sticky of pinns i read and from a few other posts on the matter, i've heard that whey protein isn't that great cause it's poorly absorbed by the body? supposedly cause it's digested so quickly, our bodies don't absorb that much of what we take in?

just wondering if anyone has any studies confirming or discrediting this? just a little concerned as whey protein is my only protein i take in PWO. i also take it in at another point of the day as well and want to make sure it's not just being wasted.

godkilla is offline Senior Member
    bump

i have heard the exact same thing from a couple bodybuilders i know also

ph34rsh4ck is offline Member
    http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/ar...ement-food.htm

found that, tell me if that helps any

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    If it does, I most certainly can't tell. I've done all solid food diets and subbed 3 isolate shakes instead of solid protein, and I've never noticed a difference in feeling, look, strength, etc.

~SC~

SPIKE is offline AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by ascendant
    supposedly cause it's digested so quickly, our bodies don't absorb that much of what we take in?
    Correct as far as it absorbs much quicker, sometimes too fast. With the aid of a buffer you can fix all of that

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    If it does, I most certainly can't tell. I've done all solid food diets and subbed 3 isolate shakes instead of solid protein, and I've never noticed a difference in feeling, look, strength, etc.
    Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup I wouldnt imagine it being any diff.

There is no mechanism or what not in our body that differentiates whole food kcals .vs. hydrolized forms. The body views kcal as what they are, it's up to us to find the correct ratios to fit goals.

~SC~
    thanks swole. i was actually hoping someone might give me feedback based off of personal experience. i myself always thought whey to be a very high quality protein, so whenever i was training, i'd always be consuming it. good to hear from someone that tried without and found no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhova
    Correct as far as it absorbs much quicker, sometimes too fast. With the aid of a buffer you can fix all of that

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup I wouldnt imagine it being any diff.

There is no mechanism or what not in our body that differentiates whole food kcals .vs. hydrolized forms. The body views kcal as what they are, it's up to us to find the correct ratios to fit goals.
    once again, thanks.

as far as a buffer, exactly what do you mean? i know something to slow down it's absorption, but would slow GI carbs be enough?

juicedOUTbrain is offline Associate Member
    common sense tells me solid food is much better, because as the food is broken down in the stomach the solid food will take longer to digest, shortening the time the protein in the food is making contact with stomach acids.

...also solid food causes a release of digestive enzymes which will break the protein down into free form aminos a little more efficiency.

does that make any sense???

i notice i get periods of extreme vascularity from whey intake...probably from high concenrations of nitric oxide...but solid food has been much better for a solid buildup of strenth and muscle mass...i fancy both at once

KingMike is offline Associate Member
    Last year I went to an amusement park for 5 days and had only solid breakfast, 5 whey shakes and a solid meal after a night workout at the hotel and actually looked/felt better. Got home and went back to 5 solids a day and felt tired and looked kind of flat, go figure.

nevaenuf is offline Senior Member
    That is why you take in 60 or 70 grams of protein postwork out. Your body might not absorb all of it but you are taking in enough to give it what it needs even if some of it goes to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by ascendant
    as far as a buffer, exactly what do you mean? i know something to slow down it's absorption, but would slow GI carbs be enough?
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhh you answered your own question. I prefer food as a buffer but its its PWO only then what you speak of should suffice, in most cases.....

Quote Originally Posted by juicedOUTbrain
    ...also solid food causes a release of digestive enzymes which will break the protein down into free form aminos a little more efficiency.

does that make any sense???

Totally does :-)

The thing here though is we're talking about the absorption rate of whey .vs. Solid foods. What you speak of is true but will basically add to the "Pro's" section of food while the discussion of absorption continues.

Thanks for the input, it holds true.

Bear-StrengthWithin is offline Junior Member
    I have my own beliefs on Whey. I dont believe Pinnacle is right at all , i dont meen to bash him but hes kinda stuck up about being right about everything , i dont blame him the mans huge and has years and years of expierience doesn,t meen hes right on everything though pretty much every men on the world would be huge if they had 10 of years of AAS and extreme high use of HGH and a perfect diet. Doesn,t meen that once they achieve that there ganna be right about everything. Pinnacle knows a lot and hes right about almost everything in his topic just not to whey..
    Last edited by Bear-StrengthWithin; 06-24-2006 at 02:03 AM.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Remember that there are no "right" or "wrong" answers the majority of the time.

There are only the "right and "wrong" things that work for you as an individual.

One of the things I love about being a nutritionist/trainer, is that I get to see how 100's that I assist respond to different stimuli, and I know first-hand that while one "rule" may work for 50 people, it is totally un-applicable to another 50 people.

Be informed, know your shit, be able to change on the fly, etc.

~SC~

oldman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear-StrengthWithin
    I have my own beliefs on Whey. I dont believe Pinnacle is right at all , i dont meen to bash him but hes kinda stuck up about being right about everything , i dont blame him the mans huge and has years and years of expierience doesn,t meen hes right on everything though pretty much every men on the world would be huge if they had 10 of years of AAS and extreme high use of HGH and a perfect diet. Doesn,t meen that once they achieve that there ganna be right about everything. Pinnacle knows a lot and hes right about almost everything in his topic just not to whey..
    Pinn does not need me to defend him at all but What I have above I agree with 100%. I would now like to hear your ideas on it all. You keep saying you have your own beliefs on whey so please tell us. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts and that is the whole purpose of this forum is to learn, the reason Pinn jumped on your on the other thread is it is HIS thread and he didnot want people crapping in it. I actually did in the start of that thread and got in trouble and my posts deleted.. Don't take offense just give us your ideas that is why we come here to share ideas and learn from each other.

~Old

Remember that there are no "right" or "wrong" answers the majority of the time.

There are only the "right and "wrong" things that work for you as an individual.

One of the things I love about being a nutritionist/trainer, is that I get to see how 100's that I assist respond to different stimuli, and I know first-hand that while one "rule" may work for 50 people, it is totally un-applicable to another 50 people.

Be informed, know your shit, be able to change on the fly, etc.

~SC~
    good stuff bro. this is so true. don't know why, but i oftentimes end up being one of those "exceptions to the rule" kind of people. so, there are many things that i do personally that i'd never have anyone else doing cause i know for most, it just wouldn't work. however, it gives me a perfect personal example of how different people respond to training and nutrition.

Thread Information