Thread: egg whites

stunner5000pt is offline Anabolic Member

egg whites

i drink a carton (250mL) of egg whites (straight from the carton) twice a day, once in the morning and once before i go to sleep. Now what concenrs me is the amount of sodium in the serving. The label says that there is about 400 mg of sodium per carton.

I know that sodium does cause a lot of water retention, and thus bloat, which i can see in myself, ever since i started having egg whites. Are there any other problmes associated with sodium?

It hardens your arteries which can lead to heart disease and can raise your blood pressure if you eat it in excess.

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    I allow myself under 2000mg of sodium/day, so keep the rest of your diet clean and you should be ok. I prefer to cook my eggs also
    -B D
    DO NOT ASK FOR A SOURCE, NONE SHALL BE GIVEN.
    -NO SOURCE CHECKS!-

[email protected]
    If asking cycle advice Post up Stats/previous cycle experience/goals!

If asking diet advice Post Stats/current diet/goals!

“Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same.”

I B D
    AR VET

Steve80 is offline Associate Member
    Cook em man! How many times do we have to say this lol

1buffsob is offline Mr.Modesty
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve80
    Cook em man! How many times do we have to say this lol
    They're pasturized. It doesn't matter. Drink away.

1buffsob

piepiezzz is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1buffsob
    They're pasturized. It doesn't matter. Drink away.

1buffsob

I have read several articles about your body not being able to synthesize raw eggs. I am going to look fo these articles online. But I ALWAYS cook my eggs.

1buffsob is offline Mr.Modesty
    Quote Originally Posted by piepiezzz
    I have read several articles about your body not being able to synthesize raw eggs. I am going to look fo these articles online. But I ALWAYS cook my eggs.
    Raw eggs contain an enzyme that prevents the protein from being digested. Pasturizing, which usually means heating at 135 degrees for roughly 3 minutes, breaks down this "protein inhibotor" allowing the protein to become bio-available. So........... pasturized eggs are fine. Raw eggs........ are not.

1buffsob

piepiezzz is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1buffsob
    Raw eggs contain an enzyme that prevents the protein from being digested. Pasturizing, which usually means heating at 135 degrees for roughly 3 minutes, breaks down this "protein inhibotor" allowing the protein to become bio-available. So........... pasturized eggs are fine. Raw eggs........ are not.

1buffsob

So egg beaters being pastuerized (ie.cooked) versus eating raw eggs in your shake. Got it.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I don't worry about sodium myself unless it's three days out from a show/shoot/event/etc.

I make sure to drink adequate water, and it flushes out the excess and keeps a good balance along with the vitamins/b6/d-root I supplement with.

~SC~

Ufa
    Ufa is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stunner5000pt
    i drink a carton (250mL) of egg whites (straight from the carton) twice a day, once in the morning and once before i go to sleep. Now what concenrs me is the amount of sodium in the serving. The label says that there is about 400 mg of sodium per carton.

I know that sodium does cause a lot of water retention, and thus bloat, which i can see in myself, ever since i started having egg whites. Are there any other problmes associated with sodium?
    I finally started the carton thing. It is a lot better on the stomach. Not as
    snotty looking either.

chest6 is offline Banned
    I wouldnt worry about sodium unless you are trying to become shredded for a shoot..show or anything like that. I mean..dont throw a shaker of salt on everything...but normal amts with the foods we eat won't kill you.

stunner5000pt is offline Anabolic Member
    yea the cartons are pasturized (spelling) so no salmonella risks

so what is the 'danger level' of sodium intake?

JohnboyF is offline Banned
    It depends on your body and goals. For me personally excesse sodium can make me bloat pretty bad. But swole says it shouldnt really matter so you may want to trust swole.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by FaizakaFez
    It depends on your body and goals. For me personally excesse sodium can make me bloat pretty bad. But swole says it shouldnt really matter so you may want to trust swole.
    U are correct however in that it does change the look of a person depending upon "who" you are, how you respond to excess, etc. Right now I'm eating sushi with soy sauce, and I have fingers all up/down my abs on the side and serratus.
    Yes, I will have pics in a few days, and I won't cut out sodium until the end of July before my official shoot. When I do that, I will be PEELED!!!!

~SC~

mwolffey is offline Anabolic Member
    ladies and gents....we have another rocky impersonator....jk bro...dont worry about the sodium unless dehydrating for a comp

JohnboyF is offline Banned
    Thanks swole it means alot bud.

Thread Information