PhishStasH is offline Member

Need suggestions from people working in FOOD SERVICE

I started serving tables and bartending at this restaurant a couple weeks ago. I am not able to eat while I work. So essentially, for at least 5 hours sometimes topping 10 hours I cannot eat. No, I cannot take a break to eat during my working hours. Yes, I will get fired if I'm caught eating when I'm not supposed to.

Anyone else have this problem?

The only thing I've been able to think up is pocketing some protein bars on my way into work and running to the restroom to stomach one every 2 hours or so.

My bulking diet has been shot to f*cking hell b/c of this and I've lost about 6 lbs since I started working. I'm losing some strength and muscle mass. It's f*cking irritating and pissing me off.

I cannot afford to quit this job as it is the only means of paying my bills while I'm in school.

ebjack is offline Senior Member
    I can't believe they don't give you a break at least every four hours. At least 10 minutes. It sounds very unreasonable. Does this apply to everybody or just new hires?

svarturer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebjack
    I can't believe they don't give you a break at least every four hours. At least 10 minutes. It sounds very unreasonable. Does this apply to everybody or just new hires?
    Applies for most ppl in this buissness

TADOLFI is offline Member
    I thought there was a federal labor law regarding offering a 15 minute break every four hours? I may be mistaken or maybe the food industry is exempt? It just doesn't seem right.

mwolffey is offline Anabolic Member
    tuna, and natty pb my man...just scarf it down and get back to work

Superballer is offline Associate Member
    this seems bizarre as shit to me.

In california at least, they are required to give a 15 minute break every 4 hours. One of my girlfriends calls me on her breaks cause she is bored and when I asked why doesn't she just keep working she said cause the breaks were MANDATORY. She HAS to take a break, though she'd rather not.

Just seems wierd to me that in the US the law would allow this. But I'm with wolfy. Figure out some 5 minute or under meals....

wolfstriked is offline Associate Member
    RTD meal replacment shakes kept in fridge are easy access every 3 hrs.

spound is offline Anabolic Member
    protein shake will casein in them and 1/5 cups of oats and 2 tbs of natty peanut butter should do you good. Just chug it down when you are in the kitchen in the back...takes 20 seconds..

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I am going to have a word w/ my boss this week so I can figure something out. Prob gonna use meal replacement shakes in combination w/ bars. Prepping my own shakes would too much of a hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by mwolffey
    tuna, and natty pb my man...just scarf it down and get back to work
    I am not allowed to eat while I'm at work. Eating would have to be done w/out being seen. Most likely the only place I can pull it off w/ all the cameras where I work would be the bathroom. I wish I could lug a can of tuna, can opener, fork, and jar of natty pb to the bathroom and then back to the kitchen, but this seems highly unlikely.

mwolffey is offline Anabolic Member
    i eat in the bathroom all the time...if there is a will, there is a way

Superballer is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwolffey
    i eat in the bathroom all the time...if there is a will, there is a way
    so true.... especially in this sport.

Heck yeah man. I used to work as a waiter at applbees. Sometimes it would get crazy busy and you wouldnt really have time to eat unless you were inbetween a double or at the end of ur shift. I would just buy mass amts of shakes/bars and bring em to work and every 3 hours I would go in there and eat em down. You kind of lose your taste for a yummy shake or bar after a while though.

yodaddy is offline Associate Member
    i work as a bartender at a caitering hall now and every 3 hours or so i tell somone to cover me while i go ask the chef to make me food or chug down a shake or a bar, its preety simple, but i guess some places are a$$holes about it.....

Grappler13 is offline Productive Member

That's called Illegal.

[QUOTE=PhishStasH]I started serving tables and bartending at this restaurant a couple weeks ago. I am not able to eat while I work. So essentially, for at least 5 hours sometimes topping 10 hours I cannot eat. No, I cannot take a break to eat during my working hours. Yes, I will get fired if I'm caught eating when I'm not supposed to.

Sounds like a great place to work! Call 919-807-2796, that is the North Carolina Dept. of Labor number. They can tell you if your employer is violating the law in any way. Federal law allows employers to work you with no breaks...See FLSA.

Angelus is offline Associate Member
    yea just take a protein shake with some grinded oats and some powdered fat free milk mixing tyhouse things for bulking will give you a good amount of pro/carbs in just 2 cups of shake

Thread Information