Thread: Healthy Snacks

BigD is offline Associate Member

Healthy Snacks

Healthy Snacks

by Cathryn Majorossy

For many, "eating healthy" is often difficult due to the busy lives that we lead! The daily food choices that we make effect us in many aspects of our lives: mood, energy, sex drive, stress levels, and the overall functioning of our bodies! Making the choice to eat a nutritious snack takes minimal time and preparation and becomes easier after a while! Below are some scrumptious snack suggestions to get you started!

Trail Mix
    A little mix of nuts, raisins, cereal, seeds and dried fruit! A tasty snack jammed packed with vitamins & minerals!

Fresh Fruit
    Not a big surprise that a piece of your favorite fruit is always a healthy choice!

Shakes
    Shake it up! Grab a packet, add some water...maybe even blend it up in the blender with some fruit or yogurt .... Click for awesome shake recipes!!!

Yogurt & Granola
    A cup of low fat/low sugar yogurt topped with low fat granola.... high in calcium and friendly bacteria. These two make a great combo and ........mmmmm...... good!

Air Popped Popcorn

Nutrition Bars
    Chocolate, peanut, raspberry, lemon... high protein, well balanced, no carb, lo carb, whatever your choice Nutrition Bars are always the way to go!

Chips & Salsa
    Be careful on this one!! Tortilla chips and salsa can be a healthy snack except when you look down and realize you ate the whole basket! Moderation is always key in maintaining a healthy weight!

Peanut Butter
    Packed with vitamins, protein, and even fiber--peanut butter spread on celery or a rice cake (even just a tablespoon full) can make for a good midday energy boost! Just be sure to moderate the amount you use because it is high in fat (mostly the "good" kind though)

Nuts & Seeds
    Our little forgotten friends! Grab a handful and go--pumpkin seeds, soy nuts, almonds and sunflower seeds are all very nutritious!

Veggies & Hummus
    Cut up a bunch of your favorite veggies and keep them in the fridge (at work and at home) along with some hummus--this is a great choice for a quick, healthy snack when compared with that vending machine junk down the hall!

Salads
    Tuna, chicken or egg....that is! Add a dab of lite mayo, a touch of salt, maybe some onions and celery and, voila, you've created a masterpiece! Now scoop some up with a few whole grain crackers and you're good to go!

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    good info bro

i know you are right, the workouts are easy compaired to the hours spent trying to find something besides EGGS AND CHICKEN hehe

thanks for posting

DC24 is offline Junior Member
    Big D you post alot of good stuff man, but what about Jerky, now that is one heck of a snack.

BigD is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by DC24
    Big D you post alot of good stuff man, but what about Jerky, now that is one heck of a snack.
    Never looked at the ingredients of regular Jerky but Ostrich Jerky is healthy, high in protein and taste just like regular Jerky.

Question, I've heard way to much stuff about peanut butter not being good of a snack, I normally eat around 4 teaspoons of it spread through out the day, now is the acceptable in your opinion? I would say it was ok, but I'm getting told otherwise by some guys at the gym. I'm currently bulking so I wouldn't see any harm in it. What do you guys think?

I know Jerky is high in sodium, fat is pretty low, and it's a good source of protein. I make my own Jerky though so I control the amount of sodium that goes into it. DeerJerky is the bomb.

xzoomzx is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by DC24
    Question, I've heard way to much stuff about peanut butter not being good of a snack, I normally eat around 4 teaspoons of it spread through out the day, now is the acceptable in your opinion? I would say it was ok, but I'm getting told otherwise by some guys at the gym. I'm currently bulking so I wouldn't see any harm in it. What do you guys think?
    peanut butter isgood for dieting and bulking.......almost all the fat is good fat and the whole serving is 2 table spoons if you take in in tea spoons then you can have like 4 or 5 teaspoons whenever you need a little fat ........its a good trick and it wil lonly equal 1 full servin get natural peanut butter

Thread Information